Chrysler 200 Forum banner

How To - Upgrade from 5.0 to 8.4 uconnect

213K views 315 replies 64 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Upgraded my uconnect from the 5 inch touchscreen to the 8.4 inch, works perfectly now I just don't know what to do with the old radio, I tried Craigslist and ebay with no luck, any suggestions??

#2 ·
The car has not been out "that" long..so the need for (non-warranty covered parts) is fairly rare. If people are looking for 200 HU's they are probably wanting the 8.4''...like you did.

Someone might need a replacement (non-warranty issue) down the road sometime on eBay....but it will probably take a while.

#3 ·
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to do that? That's the one thing that I regret. The cheapest 200 they had that had the 8.4 was almost $6000 more than the one I got so I couldn't justify it.

#7 ·
Don't get your hopes up. The cheapest 8.4 HU I could find for the 200 was $1,200. So I think $750 was just for the installation and wiring harnesses, ect. In all we are looking at a $2000 radio. Please tell me I'm wrong ALEX!!

#12 ·
Honestly mine's out of a 2015 300c but I've seen some for the dart ram etc. And some don't fit and others the colors are orange and black instead of blue and black like the chryslers, so wait for a 200 or 300 not a dodge one unless you want a mismatched radio

#16 ·
Here's what I found from a website comparing RA3 and the RA4, so for anyone interested, I thought this might be useful...basically RA4 has everything built inside the unit itself. Nothing else is required accept the unit and a reprogram...

The RA4 8.4AN sets itself apart by offering these unique features:

• HD Radio
  • Navigation Standard (RA3 does not come standard with navigation)
  • One-shot destination entry
  • 3D content (Select this option and zoom to an appropriate level. Not all “tall” buildings are in 3D)
  • Enhanced Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
  • SiriusXM Traffic
  • SiriusXM Travel Link
The RA4 navigation module acquires GPS position data through a roof-mounted combination antenna that also receives satellite audio and cellular signals. The radio head unit contains the central components of the navigation system. In addition to a 213 mm (8.4 inch) color electronic touchscreen display, a navigation module is internal and integral to each radio that is equipped with navigation capability. The navigation module contains all of the navigation system hardware and software. Hardware includes the GPS receiver, an electronic gyroscope, a microcontroller and flash memory for system software and map data storage. The navigation system software as well as the map data is flash programmable through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port.

The Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver of the navigation module is capable of acquiring and tracking GPS signal inputs through the roof-mounted combination antenna from numerous satellites simultaneously to calculate and display the position and direction of the vehicle. However, when access to satellite signals is blocked by bridges, tunnels or other obstacles, the navigation module relies upon Dead Reckoning (DR) to aid in calculating vehicle position and direction. The navigation module uses pulse signals from the wheel speed sensors, a Reverse gear indicator input and an internal electronic gyroscope sensor to provide DR vehicle position and direction calculations to supplement GPS satellite signals.

#281 ·
Sunny

Hello,

I need some help with my Radio settings.
I bought used car 2015 chrysler 200 limited and it had aftermarketplace radio installed in it with. Unfortunately it had no climate control settings or options. Few days ago i had to replace my battery and i lost the original climate setting ( the air settings, it is on foot mode right now and could not change it since there is no option to change it ). I took my car to dealership and they said to change the aftermarket radio back to original factory radio ( $800 for radio + $330 for labor). Thats huge amount of money on used car.
I also checked the used radio on ebay but i have question. if i buy a used radio will i need to reprogramming and who can do that other than dealers because dealers are not ready to fix the used part. If anyone has any idea or alternate solution please ....

#17 ·
Basically RA3 is NAV ready but not activated, no HD radio and 8GB of RAM (Not sure it is available in the US, I think it is a Canada thing) and RA4 is NAV, HD radio and 16GB of RAM to have 3D NAV which is not available on the RA3.

Mine is RA3 and I got the dealer to activate the NAV, NAV is the same as an RA4 but without the 3D feature.

RA4 is also known as Uconnect 8.4AN and RA3 is 8.4A

Reactions: slaby
#19 · (Edited)
Check junkyards in your area. If going from the 5.0 to the 8.4 the swap is easy. You just need the dealer to reprogram everything. Make sure to get the VIN of the vehicle you got the radio from for the unlock code. I also did this and only spent $350 for the radio and bezel from a wrecked 200S. RA4N is the preferred radio, you'll get a service vehicle phone message but if you Google hard enough you can find a way around this too :cool:.

I think any RA4 should work, when you flash the newest SW mine figured out that it was a Chrysler, it originally showed it was an SRT (took about 20 mins, the radio reset and everything came up Chrysler).

I'm not 100% sure but I think the dart radio is different.

I can try to answer any specific questions for you guys as well.

#20 ·
So just to make sure... The 8.4 and 5.0 are interchangeable/ plug and play with the same connectors and everything. All you need is the 8.4 trim and the dealer to program it? This just seems too good to be true. I thought there was going much more to it. :D

#23 ·
Wow. Well my excitement just got shot down. I've had nothing but problems with my car (I bought it in February brand-new and only has 2500 miles total) I had to visit my dealership for one small problem and I had to go back repeatedly. I thought it was the car, but it was probably my dealership this whole time. Always having a lot of communication issues and repeatedly taking the car in for the same issue.

I tell you that just say that I called them to ask how much it would be to reprogram the 8.4 for my vehicle and he says I don't know anything about that, it can't be done. I told them that there are a few people that I know that has done this and all they did was take it to their dealership, he shrugged it off and said that it's not possible. I guess I need to call another dealership because I'm beginning to hate this place.

#24 ·
Yeah find a different dealer. Was this the salesman or the service department? It's obviously possible if people have already done it. This is also a topic in the challenger and ram forums so it shouldn't be that unpopular of an idea.

#25 ·
This was the lead service writer at the dealership. Needless to say I called another dealership, he took my VIN number to doublecheck and make sure that the car was even compatible with the RA4 . He called me back and said that there should be no problems getting that taken care of

#27 ·
Just got in touch with my dealer and they said that it is no problem. I can get the RA4 or RA3 and hook everything up and then they go in through the usb port and set everything up. As long as I have the VIN from the other car the RA3/4 came from there should be no issue. He said everything should work fine after I install it without having them do anything. They just need to get in and unlock certain stuff and do updates.

#28 ·
Yeah its easy took about half an hour total, you don't even need the vin they can get it from the donor screen...hopefully it goes well, my only problem right now is that my usb port no longer works I took it in to see what the problem was they said with the new screen the screen isn't connecting to the usb for some reason I'm still trying to get that worked out so I can finally get the latest uconnect update. Other than that nothing but positives

#29 ·
That's kind of a big deal for me though. Well maybe not with pandora and stuff on the 8.4. Hopefully that gets fixed for you.

#34 ·
I followed some threads on a couple of Charger forums where they made similar swaps. They had issues when the car didn't have the dual climate controls and the 8.4 screen displayed the climate controls like it did. They couldn't get the climate controls to work right, last time I checked.

Any issues with this? Anyone make this swap that doesn't have the dual climate controls?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.