Chrysler 200 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunny

Here's what I found from a website comparing RA3 and the RA4, so for anyone interested, I thought this might be useful...basically RA4 has everything built inside the unit itself. Nothing else is required accept the unit and a reprogram...

The RA4 8.4AN sets itself apart by offering these unique features:

• HD Radio
  • Navigation Standard (RA3 does not come standard with navigation)
  • One-shot destination entry
  • 3D content (Select this option and zoom to an appropriate level. Not all “tall” buildings are in 3D)
  • Enhanced Digital Terrain Model (DTM)
  • SiriusXM Traffic
  • SiriusXM Travel Link
The RA4 navigation module acquires GPS position data through a roof-mounted combination antenna that also receives satellite audio and cellular signals. The radio head unit contains the central components of the navigation system. In addition to a 213 mm (8.4 inch) color electronic touchscreen display, a navigation module is internal and integral to each radio that is equipped with navigation capability. The navigation module contains all of the navigation system hardware and software. Hardware includes the GPS receiver, an electronic gyroscope, a microcontroller and flash memory for system software and map data storage. The navigation system software as well as the map data is flash programmable through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port.

The Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver of the navigation module is capable of acquiring and tracking GPS signal inputs through the roof-mounted combination antenna from numerous satellites simultaneously to calculate and display the position and direction of the vehicle. However, when access to satellite signals is blocked by bridges, tunnels or other obstacles, the navigation module relies upon Dead Reckoning (DR) to aid in calculating vehicle position and direction. The navigation module uses pulse signals from the wheel speed sensors, a Reverse gear indicator input and an internal electronic gyroscope sensor to provide DR vehicle position and direction calculations to supplement GPS satellite signals.
Hello,

I need some help with my Radio settings.
I bought used car 2015 chrysler 200 limited and it had aftermarketplace radio installed in it with. Unfortunately it had no climate control settings or options. Few days ago i had to replace my battery and i lost the original climate setting ( the air settings, it is on foot mode right now and could not change it since there is no option to change it ). I took my car to dealership and they said to change the aftermarket radio back to original factory radio ( $800 for radio + $330 for labor). Thats huge amount of money on used car.
I also checked the used radio on ebay but i have question. if i buy a used radio will i need to reprogramming and who can do that other than dealers because dealers are not ready to fix the used part. If anyone has any idea or alternate solution please ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to upgrade to the 8.4 and have called around for one. Someone said they had one but it wasn't compatible. What question should I ask so I get the right one? I have a 2015 Chrysler 200. My 5 inch screen went black 3 weeks ago and I can't survive anymore without being able to change the location that my air blows out. My feet are freezing, but the rest of me is hot!!!

I saw a picture of one and the big connector in the back was a different size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Force the dealership on it. Unless you have a detective unit it will work.... they want us to believe it won't work so we buy a more expensive car from them to get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every dealership that tells you this can't and/or should not be done only has no idea how to do it. This takes a technician, not a mechanic. They will tell you won't work, and give a line of reasons why not.... The thing is that a lot of us have done it already, and I think we all should write letters to FCA, and tell them our experience and how we would like to be able to order the parts to complete our installations and get them fully active on the UConnect system, after all it would be much more intrusive on them if we all went to aftermarket head units as it would make warranty diagnostics a nightmare because of how integrated everything in these cars are.

I believe that glven the option of causing a bunch of bad customer experiences, FCA would cave and allow us all to register our vehicles with UConnect and make this a standard upgrade path...

FCA has got to realize we were not born yesterday and we know that there is a path to doing this.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone from Central New York (near Syracuse) know of a dealer yet that knows how to flash the new radio? I have a 2015 200 C I'm about to pull the trigger and buy the ra3, I don't need navigation, and so far I'm running into the old "we can't do that, that can't be done we can't make any promises routine.".. Ugh!

·
Registered
41 Posts
What did you end up doing for the 911 override cable? I just ordered an RA4 radio, should be here next week!

Hi all,
Just did the upgrade from my very base model RA2 to the RA3 and love it so far. One thing that I did notice is the metal anchors in my dash don't line up with the donor radio. The bottom two do, but the upper two are in the wrong holes. I've tried to pull these anchors out and relocate them to the upper position, but haven't been able to get them out without mangling them. Where can I get two new ones to properly secure my RA3?
The radio isn't giving me the 911 warning or flashing my odometer yet, but I'm certain that will happen when I start driving the car.... Anyone have the plans on how to build the 911 override cable? I can't see spending $45 for just a little jumper cable from Infotainmet.

thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed an RA4 unit (with nav) including bezel and vents, for $550 on eBay. Everything works except odo is flashing, volume doesn't work, and only sound is coming from rear speakers. From reading this thread, this is all fixed after visit to dealer. We shall see, I'm going there tomorrow.
Nice bonus: I plugged in radio, id on sirius website, and I'm getting free 6 months and the sirius travel link service is free through 2021!
Did you get the new bezel also? They are hard to find.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nice bonus: I plugged in radio, id on sirius website, and I'm getting free 6 months and the sirius travel link service is free through 2021!
Good deal.
FYI, after 6 months, let it cancel or call to cancel if you already logged in and have a card on file, you'll get a letter after 2 weeks or so giving you a deal to renew for another 6 months for cheap, used to be $25 for 6 months, now I think it's more. After that other 6 months, call 2-3 days before the end of the 6 months promotion, telling them you want to cancel, then they'll offer you another 6 months, they may try to sell you some B.S. plan that is almost as expensive as the monthly plan, say no, then they will offer you 5 or 6 months for cheap. I renewed my last one for $32 + $6 fee for 6 months (used to be $25 + fee= $28 or so, but they got more expensive). Do that every 6 months and you'll save a lot of $$$ on SXM. (select package) https://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages?intcmp=GN_HEADER_NEW_Subscriptions_SubscribeNow_CompareAllPackages

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't agree with you more. Very frustrating. I installed the 8.4 in my car this weekend, and the local dealer is now saying "we'll try, but we can't make any promises. " I even called the service department at Cherry Hill NJ that someone referenced in this thread, that did it for them in February, and he said nope, can't be done. I said, but I got your name from a forum where a guy said you did it for him this past February, and he said, I don't know what to tell you, my tech guys say it can't be done. I feel like I'm living in bizarro world!!!!

Every dealership that tells you this can't and/or should not be done only has no idea how to do it. This takes a technician, not a mechanic. They will tell you won't work, and give a line of reasons why not.... The thing is that a lot of us have done it already, and I think we all should write letters to FCA, and tell them our experience and how we would like to be able to order the parts to complete our installations and get them fully active on the UConnect system, after all it would be much more intrusive on them if we all went to aftermarket head units as it would make warranty diagnostics a nightmare because of how integrated everything in these cars are.

I believe that glven the option of causing a bunch of bad customer experiences, FCA would cave and allow us all to register our vehicles with UConnect and make this a standard upgrade path...

FCA has got to realize we were not born yesterday and we know that there is a path to doing this.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you share with me what dealership flashed the radio for you and put in the sales code? I'm having trouble finding a dealer where I live that knows how to do this thanks

I just finished my 5.0 to 8.4 upgrade in my 200c. Here is what it cost me:

$380 for 8.4 RA4 N Radio (ebay)
$180 for bezel (ebay)
$57 for cell override cable (infotainment... I know a rip off, but didn't want to try to build it myself. This item should be no more than $15)
$10 for unlock code (should've let the dealer do it, but I was impatient)
$56 for dealer to put in sales code and flash radio making everything work perfect
------
$683 Total

Thanks to everyone who posted great info to make this happen easily! The 8.4 is so much better!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, do you remember who did this for you at Cherry Hill? (A name) I just called the service department there and he said, nope, you can't swap those radios. I said, well, there's a chrysler 200 forum with lots of guys doing it, and one of them said he had his radio flashed at your place, and he said, I don't know what to tell you, I just checked with my technicians, and they said that can't be done. I'm starting to wonder if chrysler is telling these dealers not to do this!!!

which dealership in NJ?
Cherry Hill NJ JEEP CHRYSLER DODGE Dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Success!!! FWIW, Burritt Dodge in Oswego, N.Y. knows how to do the proxy alignment, took about 15 minutes, $60.

Hi, do you remember who did this for you at Cherry Hill? (A name) I just called the service department there and he said, nope, you can't swap those radios. I said, well, there's a chrysler 200 forum with lots of guys doing it, and one of them said he had his radio flashed at your place, and he said, I don't know what to tell you, I just checked with my technicians, and they said that can't be done. I'm starting to wonder if chrysler is telling these dealers not to do this!!!

which dealership in NJ?
Cherry Hill NJ JEEP CHRYSLER DODGE Dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think if it was still Chrysler you could slip a tech a $20 to register it so it can work. Since Fiat now owns Chrysler they either don't know how to do it once vehicle has left assembly line or the dealers have been told they will loose there dealership if they do cause we cheated and did not pay the absorbent 5 to 6 thousand dollars for a feature we bought for roughly 1500$ instead. Its all about the profit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never tried activating uconnect. Everything works on my radio, including nav, and I have remote start on my key fob. Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks! I have a couple of questions and hopefully I'm not the only one to experience these issues. I upgraded the stereo in my 2015 200 Limited to the 8.4 uconnect around 9 months ago and have had zero issues with it. That was until a few weeks ago. The morning of the first hard frost I went to my car to warm it up and when I started it the stereo took a very long time to boot up (around 2 minutes). When I selected nav it showed me a thousand miles from where I was and when I pulled up the GPS antenna screen it showed zero visible antenna. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour, I pulled the stereo to let it reset itself, I even did a factory reset and nothing has helped. Has anyone here ever encountered this? The satellite radio works fine and no other issues with functionality. My other question is a little off topic but I can't really find any resources about it at all here. A few weeks ago (after my GPS went out) I swapped my gauge cluster with the 7in display model. The mileage blinks but it's close enough to my actual mileage that I'm not worried about it. The only issue I have with it is that my gas gauge now stays at zero. I took it to a dealership (not the one that flashed my stereo) and they told me there was no way for them to even look at the cluster or the GPS issue because they weren't stock. I'm going to the first dealership in a few weeks to see what they say. Have any of you dealt with either of those issues?

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
Hi folks! I have a couple of questions and hopefully I'm not the only one to experience these issues. I upgraded the stereo in my 2015 200 Limited to the 8.4 uconnect around 9 months ago and have had zero issues with it. That was until a few weeks ago. The morning of the first hard frost I went to my car to warm it up and when I started it the stereo took a very long time to boot up (around 2 minutes). When I selected nav it showed me a thousand miles from where I was and when I pulled up the GPS antenna screen it showed zero visible antenna. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour, I pulled the stereo to let it reset itself, I even did a factory reset and nothing has helped. Has anyone here ever encountered this? The satellite radio works fine and no other issues with functionality. My other question is a little off topic but I can't really find any resources about it at all here. A few weeks ago (after my GPS went out) I swapped my gauge cluster with the 7in display model. The mileage blinks but it's close enough to my actual mileage that I'm not worried about it. The only issue I have with it is that my gas gauge now stays at zero. I took it to a dealership (not the one that flashed my stereo) and they told me there was no way for them to even look at the cluster or the GPS issue because they weren't stock. I'm going to the first dealership in a few weeks to see what they say. Have any of you dealt with either of those issues?
If it had been working for that long and suddenly has issues now, I would take your car to a local parts store and have your battery tested. If you have never replaced your battery and you bought the car new, since it's a 2015 I would just go ahead an proactively replace your car battery.

Sometimes these modern cars do bizarre things when the battery is starting to go, before it becomes obvious the battery is getting weak.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts