Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago, I replaced the recirculation door actuator on my 2012 200, first pulling the vent direction actuator by mistake. Since then, my vents haven't been directing air to where I have the vent knob pointed.

My 200 has a single-zone automatic climate control system, and I've read stuff all over the internet that this system can be forced to calibrate. How do I do this? Will it help with my problem, or will I have to pull the actuator again and do some experimentation?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't think the HVAC actuator really knows or saves its physical position. I think the computer learns the position by running the actuator to the limit of its travel. Basically it runs the motor while monitoring the electrical current. When it sees the current ramp up very quickly it assumes it has reached the end of travel and adjusts from that point to achieve the desired result. So the sensor should be self calibrating.

I am not a expert and I could be wrong. I can hear something going on under the dash about 20-30 seconds after shutting off the key that I believe is an HVAC actuator going through some kind of shutdown cycle and I've guessed that this might be when it establishes the known closed position.

Here is something from the service manual. It doesn't really say how the calibration is performed.

Theory of Operation
After the initial installation of the A/C Heater Control, the controller is calibrated to each individual blend/mode door actuator. These calibrations are stored as in the number of pulses it takes to move the door from one stop to another. The A/C Heater Control drives the Door Actuators by the use of Door Driver circuit and a Common Door Driver circuit and monitors all door actuator pulses to detect door movement in both directions. Most of the door actuators share a common door driver circuit but each door actuator has its own unique driver circuit. Due to shared circuitry, similar DTCs can set at the same time for multiple actuators depending upon the type of circuit malfunction, its location, and the direction the actuator is moving when the malfunction is present.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did the same job a month ago, and like you, I swapped out the wrong one first...I did notice, when I took the actuator out, that it was 'keyed', and that the shaft had 2 lines on it...it was a pain, but I made sure I 'indexed' the line on the new piece, to where the old was...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to pull the actuator again and find those index lines to get things working right again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again, I want to provide an update to my problem. I pulled the vent direction actuator and tested it with the direction knob on the console. The actuator shaft position was nowhere near where it should be when compared to the white directional damper under the dashboard.

To fix this, I spun the actuator shaft with the direction knob, and disconnected the actuator cable when the correct shaft position was achieved. Next, I made sure that the direction knob was at the desired position, which was the face vent only. I waited about 30 seconds before reconnecting the actuator to its power cable to let the climate control finish cycling its vent direction signal. With the actuator shaft in the right position relative to the direction damper, I reinstalled it.

Now, everything works properly!

I attached a picture of the actuator showing its shaft position for the face vent only setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi again, I want to provide an update to my problem. I pulled the vent direction actuator and tested it with the direction knob on the console. The actuator shaft position was nowhere near where it should be when compared to the white directional damper under the dashboard.

To fix this, I spun the actuator shaft with the direction knob, and disconnected the actuator cable when the correct shaft position was achieved. Next, I made sure that the direction knob was at the desired position, which was the face vent only. I waited about 30 seconds before reconnecting the actuator to its power cable to let the climate control finish cycling its vent direction signal. With the actuator shaft in the right position relative to the direction damper, I reinstalled it.

Now, everything works properly!

I attached a picture of the actuator showing its shaft position for the face vent only setting.
where did you buy that actuator? i can't seem to find it! i'm having a similar problem,

·
Super Moderator
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Weird. When the recirc motor failed on my wife's 2012 200, I just removed the old one, pushed the new one into place without any indexing or alignment, screwed and plugged it in, and it worked fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weird. When the recirc motor failed on my wife's 2012 200, I just removed the old one, pushed the new one into place without any indexing or alignment, screwed and plugged it in, and it worked fine.
Mine wasn’t actually bad to begin with but now it’s bad I think. There’s another gear or something that controls the defrost and that’s my main issue. I saw the flap or lever or whatever get stuck. I opened it, cycled through vents and it got stuck again

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine wasn’t actually bad to begin with but now it’s bad I think. There’s another gear or something that controls the defrost and that’s my main issue. I saw the flap or lever or whatever get stuck. I opened it, cycled through vents and it got stuck again
I have heard of the doors getting stuck, as they have a rubber edge. I'm told to spray them with WD-40 to keep them from sticking. I did not have that problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts