Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade to the Mopar 3 wire ignition coils yet that was part of the PUG. I have 86,000 on a '15 3.6 and am not sure about how many miles the original coils are good for or if they slowly diminish over time or they go bad all at once throwing a code. In any event, when I do replace them inevitably right now I'm leaning towards MSD or NGK over stock, accel, or Ripp but any kind of head to head comparison is hard to come by. Anybody have luck good or bad with any particular brand ?TIA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PUG -Pentastar UpGrade. Also known as PSU. it was first done in 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees then every Pentastar got it later on.
One of the main reasons the coils fail is due to varnish buildup, I didn't know if it would weaken output before shorting them out basically.

·
Registered
70 Posts
PUG -Pentastar UpGrade. Also known as PSU. it was first done in 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees then every Pentastar got it later on.
One of the main reasons the coils fail is due to varnish buildup, I didn't know if it would weaken output before shorting them out basically.

Wrong, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Pacifica & now the Wrangler JL got the PUG engine.

The 200, Charger, Challenger 2016+ did not get the PUG engine

·
Registered
157 Posts
Varnish buildup where, and how? Varnish is typically used to coat and protect coils. Varnish is non-conductive, does not cause shorting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well technically the press release from FCA specifically said that the PSU will debut in the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee meaning that yes, they were the first to get it. I do however also see your point that 3 other vehicles also got the update in the same model year. I didn't intentionally mean to imply that there was a MY difference between the JGC and the other vehicles. I mean it's just marketing but one model had to roll down the line first and get it stuffed in right ?

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
In answer to part of your actual question, I am not sure how you would convert from 2 wire to 3 wire and what real benefit there would be after going through all that trouble. Doesn't seem like it would help much especially considering what you'd probably have to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Formerly, ignition coils were made with varnish and paper insulated high-voltage windings, inserted into a drawn-steel can and filled with oil or asphalt for insulation and moisture protection. Coils on modern automobiles are cast in filled epoxy resins which penetrate any voids within the winding. wikipedia
I wasn't clear, sorry. I meant that the points of contact between the coil and spark plug can get buildup on them and it can be a non-conductive varnish like substance causing them to work harder kind of like back in the day when bad plug wires would wipe out a coil over time.When I put my lower intake on one of my plug wells had a decent amount of oil in it so in theory the oil could be 'baked' on to the contact point-potentially. I had taken my car into the dealership a week before to get the oil filter housing changed under warranty, within that week for whatever reason (i have my theories) the engine pulled a half quart out and totally saturated the foam insert and flooded one plug well and got a little bit in another.
At one time a member that went by Go Kart was working on the 3 wire coils but abruptly disappeared and since I know Tyler and a couple others are aces on the pentastar I just wondered if they had any knowledge to share is why I asked the still unanswered original question lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In answer to part of your actual question, I am not sure how you would convert from 2 wire to 3 wire and what real benefit there would be after going through all that trouble. Doesn't seem like it would help much especially considering what you'd probably have to do.
Ok , just as I was saying in my last comment no one answered you up and answer lol.The benefit is the increase in output and you are probably 100% correct about not being worth the effort. As far as the other part of my question about preferred available coils I was hoping for some insight there as well. My brother has a 5.4 triton Ford and he bought a complete set of coils and one by one they went out on him, some auto parts store brand. Mopars can be finicky girls especially when electronics come into play. Thanks for your input though sir.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Ok , just as I was saying in my last comment no one answered you up and answer lol.The benefit is the increase in output and you are probably 100% correct about not being worth the effort. As far as the other part of my question about preferred available coils I was hoping for some insight there as well. My brother has a 5.4 triton Ford and he bought a complete set of coils and one by one they went out on him, some auto parts store brand. Mopars can be finicky girls especially when electronics come into play. Thanks for your input though sir.
Coils aren't supposed to have a maintenance interval, but I went through a bunch of OEM coils. Not covered under powertrain warranty.

I think if I would have changed my plugs sooner they might have lasted longer theoretically. The first one went out around 50K miles or so if I recall correctly.

I replaced them with a parts store brand. So far so good. I can't imagine a performance difference between any of them, however I would imagine some will last longer than others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seen a you tube video where Ripp made some pretty big claims about increasing HP on a Ram 1500 3.6 with that being the only mod..... I go to the JK/JL Jeep forums here and there, some of them guys are really going big money and some of the mods they do won't translate to the 200 due to available space etc. but there's some innovative thinking there.A bit of my original post was from different things I've read on there. One thing unpopular over there is the low friction rings on the upgrade and the idea of direct injection is another frowned upon topic lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Didn't disappear. The forum wasn't as active as FB so I been there. The 3 wire set up is all about getting the 3 wire connectors, redoing the harness with them, then just grounding the new/third wire to the block.

I can provide info and part numbers to anyone who wants to go about it. I ended up getting some MSD's and am going that route. Am going to compare the two, as best as I can. When I get there. Still don't think the Ripp ones are much better vs the price. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heck yeah man, glad you’re still around. I might have even talked to you on FB before about other things. I think that just due to the simplicity of things that when I need coils I’ll probably go MSD too. I take it you’ve been happy with yours so far? It almost seems like the whole point of the PSU upgrade was to move the torque curve down to a more usable range as opposed to a huge power upgrade. And thanks for the reply too my man.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Heck yeah man, glad you’re still around. I might have even talked to you on FB before about other things. I think that just due to the simplicity of things that when I need coils I’ll probably go MSD too. I take it you’ve been happy with yours so far? It almost seems like the whole point of the PSU upgrade was to move the torque curve down to a more usable range as opposed to a huge power upgrade. And thanks for the reply too my man.
No prob. I haven't installed them yet..... waiting on some quotes for something to.....optimize them with....lol. I just can't leave well enough alone. It can always be better! Lol. Also checking specsson the msd vs stock ones. Im Nickolopoulos on FB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, yeah I’ve seen you around on FB lol, what’s up Aaron? Did you end up going with a Cherokee, I thought you had told me that you were getting ready to or just had traded for one. I’m Munyan on FB but I got a temporary timeout for violating community standards-aka being pro 45. Anyway if you don’t mind keep me updated what you find out on the coils. I think I’m OK for now but I can’t leave well enough alone either LOL. If there’s something just a little better than stock I hate to leave power on the table when it comes time to replace anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts