Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2012 Chrysler 200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really done anything with my car and I'm looking to install a subwoofer. I looked online and it looks like all the processes require some wiring and stuff, which I am mostly unfamiliar with. Are there any guides for installing a subwoofer for a 2012 200, or car most similar to the 2012 200? Also are there any specific types of subwoofer I need? Any information is helpful

Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
You’ll need the adaptor to use run the rca cables unless you got a aftermarket stereo which I don’t recommend cuz I’ve had nothing but trouble since or the Uconnect might have the rca hook ups a power wire from battery to amp I’ll explain how to run it through firewall later but besides those any sub will do

· Registered
48 Posts
I don't have Uconnect, just the stereo/radio
What adaptor/rca cables/power wire/ amp?
Well, first of all you need to get power to the amplifier that drives the subwoofer or to the subwoofer itself, if it one of the integrated amplifer/subwoofer types. I've done this many times (and I'm actually in the process of putting a new amplifier-based mega audio system in my 200 convertible. That stuff typically goes in the trunk, which is kind of a shame for a car that already has limited trunk space. So you need to run a power cable back there. The way it's typically done is you put in a fuse block (VERY IMPORTANT, PUT THE FUSE AT THE TAP) and then tap the power off the battery, so you have a separate power cable. You need to go through the firewall by drilling and using a gromet. So you run the 12 volt power cable back to the trunk, typically along the side of the car under the trim pieces and back to the trunk. So that's how you power it. Then you need to get the audio signal to it. If it is an aftermarket unit, you can use RCA cables. just line-level audio. You may find you need a ground loop isolator to avoid unwanted hum (which would be very annoying on a subwoofer)

If you do not have an aftermarket unit with line-level audio out, you need to get an adapter that takes the amplified speaker output and attenuates it down to line level. Personally I'm not a fan of this. I think the quality is pretty compromised, but it probably won't matter with a sub.

It's actually not a terribly difficult job, and their are amplifier/subwooder install kits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.