Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 chrysler 200s
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my plugs today and now I notice a backfire coming from intake. Its more at the butterfly of throttle body when i turn my wheel rpm drops a little then it will back fire slightly. It has 38000 miles on it. Any info will help . Thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Is it running smoothly otherwise? If it was OK before the plug change, double-check your plug installation. Any 'ck eng' light on?
Is the correct OEM Champion/NGK spark plug type being used?
Are the rubber coil boots in good condition and not ripped?
The coil 12v connector terminals not bent down while pushing the connector back on (happened to me) and the connectors fully seated?

·
Registered
2015 chrysler 200s
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response . There is no check engine light on . It idles smooth and runs fine. Im not 100% sure it hasnt been doing it since i installed the CAI. Since I've had the car its always kinda bogged down a little when I turn the wheel. Yesterday was the first time I was outside of it while someone else was inside of it turning the wheel and I heard it. As for plugs the only thing they had was Autolite iridium Xp5701 plugs with 5 year warranty. The boots looked great when i reinstalled. I mean its not a huge deal im just the type when I hear something different i try to fix it. I've had a CAI on it maybe this is whats caused it and like I said I've never been underwood while someone else was in the car . I thought at first the intake gaskets maybe one was not seated back correctly so took it back off and reinstalled . Problem was same turn wheel and drop in RPM and pop i did take CAI off and the butterfly to the throttle body is actually where its spitting at. I dont know what else to check. I will check connectors as well though. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
If you still have the OEM air cleaner and induction setup, you might want to reinstall it to see if the pop-back goes away. It may be on the 'lean' side with CAI?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it definitly a back-fire? Mine makes a little sound, more like a burp when I come off throttle at low speed which i think is because the TB closes almost all the way plus the no back pressure enviorment w the CAI/exhaust mods. Turning the wheel shouldnt affect the running condition because its not putting a physical load on the engine (electric steering pump) and I dont think its leaning out because the computer and O2 sensors should keep that in check. Do some more poking around...Check alternator and load test the battery..especially if its the original. Maybe use O.E. plugs. I changed mine at 65k w O.E. and no probs. Keep us posted....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I change my plugs today and now I notice a backfire coming from intake. Its more at the butterfly of throttle body when i turn my wheel rpm drops a little then it will back fire slightly. It has 38000 miles on it. Any info will help . Thanks
Yeah I would check the gap on plugs , also check the boot

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
It may not be a backfire, but a momentary opening (burp) of the throttle blade to compensate for an increase in engine load?
The PCM will strive to keep idle steady when put in gear, engage the compressor, power the headlamps, etc.
A CAI will emit all kinds of induction noises. Some not very pleasant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Is it running smoothly otherwise? If it was OK before the plug change, double-check your plug installation. Any 'ck eng' light on?
Is the correct OEM Champion/NGK spark plug type being used?
Are the rubber coil boots in good condition and not ripped?
The coil 12v connector terminals not bent down while pushing the connector back on (happened to me) and the connectors fully seated?
I agree. It most likely is a connector not fully seated. If the new plugs are correct, no change should take place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the response . There is no check engine light on . It idles smooth and runs fine. Im not 100% sure it hasnt been doing it since i installed the CAI. Since I've had the car its always kinda bogged down a little when I turn the wheel. Yesterday was the first time I was outside of it while someone else was inside of it turning the wheel and I heard it. As for plugs the only thing they had was Autolite iridium Xp5701 plugs with 5 year warranty. The boots looked great when i reinstalled. I mean its not a huge deal im just the type when I hear something different i try to fix it. I've had a CAI on it maybe this is whats caused it and like I said I've never been underwood while someone else was in the car . I thought at first the intake gaskets maybe one was not seated back correctly so took it back off and reinstalled . Problem was same turn wheel and drop in RPM and pop i did take CAI off and the butterfly to the throttle body is actually where its spitting at. I dont know what else to check. I will check connectors as well though. Thanks for responding.
2.4 is sensitive to changes with the MAF and if you installed a CAi then I would venture to guess it’s your issue. Yes replace the stock air box and see if it goes away. The computer may not like the increased air flow and isn’t adjusting to it well. I’ve seen a 2.4 break down due to a dirty MAF so I’d begin there.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
An aftermarket CAI doesn't give much more benefit than stock. The OEM factory setup is tuned and engineered for quiet, cool air already.

·
Registered
2015 chrysler 200s
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies im going to go over it again this weekend ..change intake seals , check boot etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts