Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had installed led map/dome lights for the added brightness and white light. One of them (the one in the front) had a bad connection so i took it out and attempted to move the wire posts closer together. Well i mustve shorted something possibly because it sparked a bit. Now, when i open the door the center lights turn on but not the front driver and passenger lights. The funny thing is that if i use the button to turn them on manually, they turn on no problem. Im wondering if its a fuse, or if i have to replace the whole map light assembly? If its a fuse where would it be? I checked under the hood but cant find anything. And the interior fuse panel is not marked so not sure where to start.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know this post is late but extreme care must be taken when removing and replacing electrical parts on newer cars... Especially Chryslers and Jeeps... The map lights have two ways of turning on the map lights...One is the old standard way of grounding one side of the lamp/LED the other is grounding the lamp via the BCM and/or the "all in one" control module... The second option uses a FET/transistor to gradually reduce the light output by what is called PWM (pulse width modulation) to reduce the "average" voltage going to the lamp... By shorting the +12v feed directly to the grounded side of the lamp you probably DID damage the FET/transistor... I'd bet it is part of Chrysler's "all in one" module and is not replaceable as a single part... See where I'm going with this post? It was cheaper for Chrysler to build an "all in one" module that can be installed as a single unit when the car was built.... No thought was given to serviceability by the customer after warranty and during warranty the dealership just replaces the module and returns the dud to Chrysler... If you come across something like this you might try UNITED RADIO for repair or find a donor (salvage) car for the module...but with that comes "marrying" the module to the rest of the cars electronics (writing or rewriting the car's VIN into the module)... When working on ANY electronics or electrical part it's better to disconnect the car battery negative post and carefully replace the part(s)...double check your installation THEN re-connect the battery....

In the case above I would have re-installed the original bulbs (everywhere) and then took the car to dealership for a "warranty" repair...
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts