Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2016 200C that I bought my son to take to college last year. So far so good but he delivers pizzas in it and must've caught something low as the underbody splash shield in the under the engine area is hanging down and severely damaged. I taped it back up temporarily but need to make a decision before he heads back to college with the car as the tape didn't last long and it's hanging down again.
My question is, is this a necessary piece? I've had lots of cars with no splash shield underneath. Can I remove it and send him on his way? What are we shielding that other cars don't have?

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's primarily for improved aerodynamics, i.e., fuel efficiency. If it were mine, I'd replace it, but I doubt there'd be any big drawback to leaving it off.

There's an early thread here started by forum moderator Black Knight, were he discusses replacing his. Might be some more info there, if you search.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,069 Posts
If shield tore out of the mounting screws, I have used larger washers in the past to secure a damaged shield.
It is worth having it there if it can be saved.

Reactions: Sleeper200c

·
Super Moderator
2,097 Posts
Here is the thread on replacing my shield.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
It makes a difference for MPG for sure. I ran without it while a replacement was on order and my highway MPG was reduced by ~3-4MPG There's a thread here on it somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive had mine off for over a year now with no adverse effects. Got tired of it being in the way and the cats crawling up there. My average mileage keeps improving, averaging 34-35 mpg consistently at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Interesting your MPG improved, I respectfully don't believe you - not saying you are lying but I think the MPG increase has othing to do with removing your belly pan, maybe some other factor helped.

For sure for me with the V6 and others on here, the MPG decreases most noticeably on the highway.

Also, it's not really a splash shield, it has holes in it for a reason.

In fact another thing that I noticed when my AGS were stuck open, the MPG went down as well. It only makes sense, the automakers put them there not for looks since most people don't look inside the grill or under the car - these things are used for aerodynamics/MPG, it's not just an expensive "gimmick". Why would they spend the extra money if it were theory? Most peope don't even know about their existance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,069 Posts
I suppose that the underbody panel also plays a role in making the car quieter. Engineering chose a sound-absorbent, fibrous material over a much less-expensive, hard plastic panel.
It is subtle, but it reduces low-frequency wind turbulence 'roar' inside the engine compartment chamber, kicked-up gravel 'ticks' and other annoying drivetrain/road noise.
It works as a complete sound absorbent, undercar bellypan system that was touted in the sales literature. The 200 is the aerodynamically slipperiest (0.266 Cd) Chrysler ever.
It is the attention to details like this that made it past the beancounters. Engineering made the case that the panel served an important function...and won.

If the panel has ripped out of the fasteners, try larger fender washers to hold it up. I used anti-seize on the retainer bolt threads to ease future removal:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts