Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2015 Chrysler 200C, equipped with the SafetyTech group which includes the Park Assist sensors. My sensors go off beeping solid red and showing as if I'm too close to an object when there is nothing close to me or the distance is substantial. Now when this happens, I have no choice but to turn off the park assist option. Now the second message that appears on the screen says the sensors need to be cleaned, even when the car is sparkling. The third message that shows, as attached, the sensors need servicing. I took the car into the dealership, and they simply said they hooked up the car and it shows that everything is okay. My issue is this could be a HUGE safety issue, as the sensors are likely used for the full speed collision warning plus, and the car may automatically brake thinking an object is near, when in fact it is not the case. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? And does anyone have any advice as to how I should be approaching this issue with Chrysler as they said they'll take a look again during my next oil change. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
My car does this when i have ice on them. Once during a snow storm, and again after a car wash when it was really cold.

If you dont have any ice or things on the sensors then I'm not sure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got the same car. I know there is distance settings in the menu somewhere you might try to adjust. I've only had problems when there is a bunch of snow on the car. Based on your pics and video, you definately got a problem that the dealer needs to resolve. Did you show them the pics, and if so, how did they explain them?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2015 Chrysler 200C, equipped with the SafetyTech group which includes the Park Assist sensors. My sensors go off beeping solid red and showing as if I'm too close to an object when there is nothing close to me or the distance is substantial. Now when this happens, I have no choice but to turn off the park assist option. Now the second message that appears on the screen says the sensors need to be cleaned, even when the car is sparkling. The third message that shows, as attached, the sensors need servicing. I took the car into the dealership, and they simply said they hooked up the car and it shows that everything is okay. My issue is this could be a HUGE safety issue, as the sensors are likely used for the full speed collision warning plus, and the car may automatically brake thinking an object is near, when in fact it is not the case. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? And does anyone have any advice as to how I should be approaching this issue with Chrysler as they said they'll take a look again during my next oil change. Thank you in advance.
200C,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your 200C.
If the condition is easily duplicated, I'd recommend taking a member of the dealer staff out for a test drive.
Although the system checks out when scanned, there still may be an issue.
Keep us posted after your next visit if you can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I went into the dealership, I didn't have the picture that said the sensors need servicing, but I explained the situation.

I was advised that if there is an issue, there is no fix for it yet.

I've read up on sensor issues for other vehicles, and it appears as though other car manufacturers simply change the sensors according to the owners.

I will be calling the dealer again and will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I went into the dealership, I didn't have the picture that said the sensors need servicing, but I explained the situation.

I've read up on sensor issues for other vehicles, and it appears as though other car manufacturers simply change the sensors according to the owners.

Most cars are having no problems with their sensors. Therefore, I think the fix is a replacement of the effected sensors. To say there is no fix yet "if it's an issue" is crap. They should at least do something to help before saying they don't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
188 Posts

200C,

Thanks for the info.
If the sensor needs replacing due to any defects, your dealer will certainly look to replace under the factory warranty.
Cheers, thanks again for the info.!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Went to the car wash yesterday parked it after this morning on my way to work I started to have the same issue as you but during slow speeds it will freak out and turn on the brakes. (NOT COOL)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Went to the car wash yesterday parked it after this morning on my way to work I started to have the same issue as you but during slow speeds it will freak out and turn on the brakes. (NOT COOL)
Michael50211,

Be sure to check the sensors don't have a layer of ice on them (depending on your climate).
Of course your dealer should be informed nonetheless as it isn't wise to generalize your issue with others.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
We've had several discussions about several issues over the last 9 months and what surprises me the most is how much most of the dealers, both in Canada and the US don't know anything about these cars. Every single time I went to the dealer, whether it was with my first 200 or my actual one, I showed them things. It looks like we are playing with and experimenting these cars a lot more than Chrysler does...That stuns me...

Sorry to hear about your issue but I sure wouldn't drive a car in this condition knowing everything the safety tech package can do, which includes the capacity to brake suddenly at high speed on a highway...

Take this car to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We've had several discussions about several issues over the last 9 months and what surprises me the most is how much most of the dealers, both in Canada and the US don't know anything about these cars. Every single time I went to the dealer, whether it was with my first 200 or my actual one, I showed them things. It looks like we are playing with and experimenting these cars a lot more than Chrysler does...That stuns me...

Sorry to hear about your issue but I sure wouldn't drive a car in this condition knowing everything the safety tech package can do, which includes the capacity to brake suddenly at high speed on a highway...

Take this car to the dealer asap.
Actually I think it will only brake at speeds of under 15MPH or something like that. Any higher and it just charges them so that when you hit the brakes it's ready to give full power.

Still doesn't instill confidence though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually I think it will only brake at speeds of under 15MPH or something like that. Any higher and it just charges them so that when you hit the brakes it's ready to give full power.
Not true. I've tested mine to see what will happen. I've waited for a car in front of me to turn right, maintained a speed of 40-55, the car will alarm loudly (you will know when that happens) red lights on the dash, and if you don't brake when the car thinks you should it will partialy brake for you. Probably the closer and faster you close the distance the harder it will brake. I've only tested it when I've known I could still brake if needed to. If anything, it will keep braking longer than it needs to. A car in front can turn right, be out of your lane and your car will still keep braking after the lane is clear. Pretty cool how it works and increases safety. My wifes 12' Elantra (10K less car) costs more to insure than my 15' brand new with the safetytec package on board.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not true. I've tested mine to see what will happen. I've waited for a car in front of me to turn right, maintained a speed of 40-55, the car will alarm loudly (you will know when that happens) red lights on the dash, and if you don't brake when the car thinks you should it will partialy brake for you. Probably the closer and faster you close the distance the harder it will brake. I've only tested it when I've known I could still brake if needed to. If anything, it will keep braking longer than it needs to. A car in front can turn right, be out of your lane and your car will still keep braking after the lane is clear. Pretty cool how it works and increases safety. My wifes 12' Elantra (10K less car) costs more to insure than my 15' brand new with the safetytec package on board.
Looks like we're both right. Page 209 of the manual:

When the system determines that a forward collision is probable, the driver will be provided with audible and visual warnings and may provide a brake jerk warning. If the driver does not take action based upon these progressive warnings, then the system will provide a limited level of active braking to help slow the vehicle and mitigate the potential forward collision. If the driver reacts to the warnings by braking and the system determines that the driver intends to avoid the collision by braking but has not applied sufficient brake force, the system will compensate and provide additional brake force as required.

If a Forward Collision Warning with Mitigation event begins at a speed below 20 mph (32 km/h), the system may provide the maximum braking possible to mitigate-the potential forward collision. If the Forward Collision Warning with Mitigation event stops the vehicle completely, the system will hold the vehicle at standstill for two seconds and then release the brakes.
It'll partially brake @ high speeds and fully brake @ low speeds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been fighting with Chrysler since January with this same problem. The dealer has replaced all front sensors and the problem remains, I cannot use the collision warning feature on the car because it malfunctions and stops the car on interstate traffic (NOT SAFE) but Chrysler just continues on with trying to fix the problem. I had no choice but to hire a lawyer to help me.

Just a heads up if you have memory mirrors go to the car wash and once done switch between profiles mine for example would not return to the saved location just goes up and down up and down until it finally gave up. This problem went all the way up to engineering and they do not know how to fix it, I'm on my 3rd mirror and they state that this could cause the door to short out causing other issues with the car.

I get harassed daily by Jim in Chrysler customer care who does nothing but repeat himself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. Got a carwash and know the sensors are going crazy. I do live in the tundra but the car is clean. Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue without bringing it in?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am having the same issue. Got a carwash and know the sensors are going crazy. I do live in the tundra but the car is clean. Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue without bringing it in?
I would disconnect the battery cables for 10 minutes and then reattach. This will allow the system to "re-boot" and may solve this anomaly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts