Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Key Fob issue- all buttons open trunk

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  klr6773 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have used the forum many times to help figure things out so I dont feel like I'm getting taken advantage of ( yes, sadly, females have to worry about this) The car has had 3 major issues in the last year and a half, and I'm ready to cut my losses..
I own a 2015 200C AWD. 75k miles. For the second time this week, I go to use the key fob to either auto start or open my door, and the trunk pops open! Doesnt matter which button I press- the trunp opens. Happens about 5 or 6 times then the button I'm pressing works as needed. Ive changed batteries before and its not telling me it cant be found....
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening? Many thanks!

#4 ·
Open up the keyfob as if to replace the battery and pull up the green circuit board opposite the battery. There will be a rubber keypad membrane with contacts that line up to the circuit board. Check there is no dirt or loose parts between the keypad and circuit board that might interfere with the button pressing. Maybe a quick clean with some electrical contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol will get the keyfob back working as it should.

#5 ·
Thanks ggoose, that was going to be my next suggestion. Was the defective fob the primary-use fob? I alternate fobs so I can keep the button/switch wear-levels fairly equal.

Did the defective fob get wet or had undue environmental stress (like undue heat or cold)?

All solder joints should be secure. The battery contacts can be 'sprung' slightly and gently to assure a good contact.
The gold(?) button contact grids and carbon touch pucks should be gently cleaned with a solvent that won't damage plastic or rubber. Wipe gently with a solvent-soaked, non-lint cloth and gently blow dry before snapping it all back together.

Worst case scenario is needing a replacement fob, key cut and programming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.