Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i have the 2016 200s and for some reason the wifes fob does not want to work unless she holds the fob next to the car or the pushbutton. i put new batteries in both fobs about 3 months ago and hers is acting up again. i checked the voltage and the battery in that fob is 3.2 volts so that seems plenty. i looked in the book and did not see much on it but for if you have trouble with the fob to hold ithe back of the fob up to the pushbutton to start the car.

the dealer said that hole down the console under the shifter and the slide cup holder was for something but i cant remember. the wife said it is to charge the fob up but i did not see that in the book either.

so aside form another bad battery what could cause this? she swapped out the fob's and that seemed to work better. but time will tell. thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,440 Posts
Does your wife carry her cellphone near her key fob? If I have my key fob in the same pocket as my cellphone, it won't work unless it's right next to the vehicle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks black knight i can't say for 100% but she does have the fob on the outside of her purse/bag and the phone in the bag. so within 12" i'm sure. but she says it just started to do that within the last week. the last time it did that i put in new batteries. the old batteries had less than 3 volts this battery had 3.2 volts and stamped on the battery was 3 volts. so it had a bit more that advertised. she took the spare fob and put it in the same place on her purse/bag and she said it worked just fine. i did not measure that batteries voltage, but because i got them in the same blister pack i figure they should both be the same volts.

if i knew what that hole in the console did maybe that can help with the key. or make sure it stays programmed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dare I say? If u start getting some odd warnings and things flashing on your display, have your car battery checked. The original is horrible, most have replaced within 3ish years. The fob acting up is at least one of the signs its on the way out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks i will keep close attention on that. so far no flashing lights in the dash or any email warnings telling me i need to see the dealer for any type of repair. i get an email about once a month telling me how the car is doing. and now that i;m telling this i do not remember getting one of those as of late.

so far only one fob is giving us fits. but like i said she change them and now if the other one starts giving her fits then it may be time for looking into other possibilities. just looked and the last report i saved wan nov 2018 but i went to uconnect and checked the keep receiving reports just in case it got turned off by mistake. if something is going on maybe i will get a notice to take it to the dealer for some type of repair. if the fob is going bad it may just show up in that report.

thanks for this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so no one has this issue! if not it may be the batteries.

and what is that spot in the console the dealer told me to put the fob in there. what is the reason to do that. i did not see that in my book. or i just don't know what to look for in the book yet. thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
so no one has this issue! if not it may be the batteries.

and what is that spot in the console the dealer told me to put the fob in there. what is the reason to do that. i did not see that in my book. or i just don't know what to look for in the book yet. thanks
Are you sure the dealer wasn't just telling you to put the keyfob in this storage area to be free from any electrical interference from your wifes purse? As far as I know there isn't any spot on the dash, other than the start button to help keyfob regain it's connection. The keyfob is not rechargeable, battery is only replaceable. I think there was an aftermarket upgrade for cell phone wireless charger to go under there, but am not certain on that.

The only specific hole in this storage area is meant to take your car out of park should it require a tow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure the dealer wasn't just telling you to put the keyfob in this storage area to be free from any electrical interference from your wifes purse? As far as I know there isn't any spot on the dash, other than the start button to help keyfob regain it's connection. The keyfob is not rechargeable, battery is only replaceable. I think there was an aftermarket upgrade for cell phone wireless charger to go under there, but am not certain on that.

it has been a few years. we both thought we heard his tell us that little hole under the sliding tray was to recharge the fob or to keep the program. mu guess it was just a convenient place to hold it while driving

The only specific hole in this storage area is meant to take your car out of park should it require a tow.

that hole i'm talking about has nothing to do with taking it out of park as i don't see any connection for that. thanks.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
it has been a few years. we both thought we heard his tell us that little hole under the sliding tray was to recharge the fob or to keep the program. mu guess it was just a convenient place to hold it while driving

that hole i'm talking about has nothing to do with taking it out of park as i don't see any connection for that. thanks.
Ah, thought you were talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvpKRySr1TM

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no not the emergency brake release. if you slike the cup holder panel back and look down in that well above the usb port there is a hole and just above that hole are markings, when we got the car the salesman was showing us all the bells and whistles and then he opened that slider and showed us the usb and power port and some other port down in that storage area. then we asked why that hole and he said we put the key fob in there if the car fails to see that fob and the car will charge it a bit and then allow the car to start.

the book says to put the back of the fob up to the push button and then push the button with the fob and that will allow the car to start, so a bit confusing here.

i figured that hole was to run cable thru from the ports in that storage are to the shelf under the shifter.

the wife is not putting the phone further away in her bag from the fob and she said it is working better, but i will have her switch fobs again and see if the affected fob starts to work better again. i will try to remember to update this next week as she will not be driving much for the 4th thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
the wife is not putting the phone further away in her bag from the fob and she said it is working better, but i will have her switch fobs again and see if the affected fob starts to work better again. i will try to remember to update this next week as she will not be driving much for the 4th thanks
Might also want to have her test with the fob all by itself and not connected to her purse at all. About 5 years ago, we all did discover that cell phones interrupt the fob's signal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might also want to have her test with the fob all by itself and not connected to her purse at all. About 5 years ago, we all did discover that cell phones interrupt the fob's signal.

i did that already i took it out and it was not working as it should have been. then i took the battery out and measured the volts and the battery had 3.2 volts. then replaced it and did the test again and it worked better. the fob is not corroded inside so that was not the issue. thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi. i have the 2016 200s and for some reason the wifes fob does not want to work unless she holds the fob next to the car or the pushbutton. i put new batteries in both fobs about 3 months ago and hers is acting up again. i checked the voltage and the battery in that fob is 3.2 volts so that seems plenty. i looked in the book and did not see much on it but for if you have trouble with the fob to hold ithe back of the fob up to the pushbutton to start the car.

the dealer said that hole down the console under the shifter and the slide cup holder was for something but i cant remember. the wife said it is to charge the fob up but i did not see that in the book either.

so aside form another bad battery what could cause this? she swapped out the fob's and that seemed to work better. but time will tell. thanks
The one time I experienced issues with my key fob was because of a low battery. I was able to determine that the key fob battery needed to be replaced long before I actually replaced it because my range decreased with regards to how close I had to be to the car for it to respond to key fob commands. It was always my understanding that if the battery in the key fob got too low that you would have to place the key fob directly in front of the push start to start the car.

I believe the only purpose for the little square hole is so that you can pass cables through for devices that you may want to power with the plugins located directly underneath the sliding cup holder. For instance I have a flat wireless charging pad that sits directly underneath my shifter/AC controls in the big opening. I run the power cable through the little square hole back into the center console underneath the sliding cup holder to power the wireless charging pad for a cleaner look so that I don't have to wrap cables around the console.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks that is what i'm starting to thins also about that hole. and i read the fob battery being low in the book. thanks for posting that also. i told the wife to change the fobs out again and see if the problem comes back if so then i will just get another battery. if it returns again after that i will have the dealer get me a new fob. again thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
thanks that is what i'm starting to thins also about that hole. and i read the fob battery being low in the book. thanks for posting that also. i told the wife to change the fobs out again and see if the problem comes back if so then i will just get another battery. if it returns again after that i will have the dealer get me a new fob. again thanks.
Replacement FOBS are expensive at the dealer. I purchased one on eBay from a guaranteed seller, but it did not work. I ended up buying from the dealer and returning the "new" discounted fob on eBay.
So what I am saying. If the fob works, then the battery is an issue, or your incurring interference from another electronic item ... like a cell phone.
I only buy name brand, sealed packages of batteries. The first replacement I used was from a battery store that sold them in bulk. They used one from a bin of batteries. It lasted only 6 months before I had issues.
For a few dollars more, buy the best.
Then make sure that cell phone is far away from the fob.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks that is what i'm thinking also. if it has issues again i will get batteries from like a popular store that i hope sells enough to keep them fresh.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
6 months ago I did replace the battery to my fob, and had noticed the buttons were not working on the fob, turning car on and unlocking car via the sensor in car door handle worked, but the physical buttons on the fob did not. But had noticed that after driving the car 1 time after replacing the fob battery, I didn't have that issue again. At the time, I though it to be a weird fluke.

Wondering in your case if perhaps the fob just needs to reconnect again with the car. Perhaps, maybe, when the cell phone interferes with the fob, the car basically needs to reconnect properly with the fob????? But then as others have stated it could and most likely is just a bad batch of batteries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts