Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I'm looking for a little help with a problem I just had. My 2016 Chrysler 200 was completely dead this morning when I went to start it. Nothing
came on at all. It has given me no problem before. It has been mostly sitting for the last 2-3 weeks because I've been staying home. I put my battery charger
on it for a few minutes, kicked it over to the 60 amp start setting and it fired right up. The charging system is working fine. It reads 14.4 volts on the dash.
The only thing I can think of is the battery is bad or there is a key off drain. I have a CD player that plugs into the USB port in the console. Could this be causing it.
I've had the CD player hooked up for a few months. The car has 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Steve

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its the battery....the OE is junk. Many posts here about the batteries crapping out after 2-3 yrs and causing weird things too happen.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've posted several times here from my own experience on how if you do not drive at least several hours per week the battery really should be put on a charger every couple weeks . There simply is a lot of load from the onboard electronics, even when the ignition is "off". So if you're going to let the car sit for several weeks, I suggest you connect a battery maintainer / smart charger like a Noco Genius.

Even with regular charging, I've still had to replace my OE battery twice so far. Now running an Autozone Duralast.

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
Glad someone else posted this (Pennhaven). It's not like the older vehicles, and from my experience owning 2 first gen V6 Chrysler 200's- the second gen 200 drains the battery just sitting there faster than the first gen 200.

There is no "fix" because nothing is wrong - maybe it could be perceived as "bad design".

You can either disconnect the battery while letting it sit for more than 2 weeks without starting it or put it on a charger, and know that the battery life is shorter than the first generation - miles don't matter - it's the time factor.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
278 Posts
See p. 638 of your owners manual for vehicle storage information:

VEHICLE STORAGE

If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than 21 days you may want to take steps to protect your battery. You may:
• Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (i.e. vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the system is started again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Doesn't take long at all to disconnect the negative, and even better you coul attach a battery tender to it just for good measure if it's garaged and you have an outlet nearby.
And disconnect that CD player too, takes 2 seconds

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Everybody,
I'm looking for a little help with a problem I just had. My 2016 Chrysler 200 was completely dead this morning when I went to start it. Nothing
came on at all. It has given me no problem before. It has been mostly sitting for the last 2-3 weeks because I've been staying home. I put my battery charger
on it for a few minutes, kicked it over to the 60 amp start setting and it fired right up. The charging system is working fine. It reads 14.4 volts on the dash.
The only thing I can think of is the battery is bad or there is a key off drain. I have a CD player that plugs into the USB port in the console. Could this be causing it.
I've had the CD player hooked up for a few months. The car has 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Steve
I have owned many brand new cars in my lifetime. My experience has taught me that the original battery dies around 4 years after purchasing the brand new vehicle. The vehicle manufacturer installs a battery that will last until your 3 year/36000 mile warrantee expires.

My advice? Go buy a new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the advice and comments. I charged the battery and now disconnect the CD player (except when I forget) and have had no more problem. I don't usually let the car set for very long but have lately because of the virus and my staying home.
I would still like to know if anybody knows whether power can be drawn through the USB port in the console when the key is off.
Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks everybody for the advice and comments. I charged the battery and now disconnect the CD player (except when I forget) and have had no more problem. I don't usually let the car set for very long but have lately because of the virus and my staying home.
I would still like to know if anybody knows whether power can be drawn through the USB port in the console when the key is off.
Thanks again,
Steve
I am 99% certain the answer is yes. One of my old posts here references my observation that the LED on my USB flash drive flashes periodically even when the car is "off". So I believe the +5V line is always on to the console port.

It would be easy enough to check. Just plug in your cell phone and see if it is charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am 99% certain the answer is yes. One of my old posts here references my observation that the LED on my USB flash drive flashes periodically even when the car is "off". So I believe the +5V line is always on to the console port.

It would be easy enough to check. Just plug in your cell phone and see if it is charging.
Thanks for the answer. I imagine the key off drain is significant enough without adding to it. Hopefully I'll be able to remember to unplug the CD player.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everybody,
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it’s the CD player 100%, it’s called a Parasitic draw which means you still have a small amount of current coming from your CD player while the car is off. I had a Audi A4 with the same problem. I would remove the fuse for your sterio in the car until you get stereo wired correctly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your reply. I bought this CD player because the car expects me to use my smart phone for music but I don't have one. I didn't want someone to mess with the dash to install one for fear that other problems might arise. I did buy an MP3 player but I couldn't figure out how download music to it. I'm not very computer literate. Basically this car is too smart for me. I do love driving it though. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe some kind of relay.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
278 Posts
There is no fuse specifically for the 5 volt USB supply.
I leave a thumbdrive plugged in all the time and have not yet had a discharged battery. You can rip CDs onto a thumbdrive with your home computer. There is a YouTube about it.
Mine is a 2016 with the original battery. I have read about battery issues with these cars here on this forum, but so far, so good.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I bought this CD player because the car expects me to use my smart phone for music but I don't have one. I didn't want someone to mess with the dash to install one for fear that other problems might arise. I did buy an MP3 player but I couldn't figure out how download music to it. I'm not very computer literate. Basically this car is too smart for me. I do love driving it though. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe some kind of relay.
.... A simpler solution would be just too un-plug it when you get out of the car. From the CD player side, so you don't have too fish from the USB port. Or whatever is easier for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody,
Steve
SLEEPER's reply is dead on!. is what it is, manufacturers tweaking build savings and or buying bulk under contract to put together a particular model, will get a good bargain on parts from a third party manufacturer.In this case Batteries. If it fires up at the showroom and provides ability to start and run the car fine for... You guessed it, until at least the warranty runs out. Thats not in miles/km run out but time is the factor calculated with batteries ability to take and hold a decent charge until the TIME term expires. All batteries fail in time. some sooner than others for a wide variety of reasons. Climate is a big factor, both heat and cold play a part in a batteries health. A proper functioning regulator, ( puts the juice back in your battery to topped up level when needed then disengages as needed, hence the term "regulator" ) should keep your battery topped up when it has access to a decent/constant power source ( 14 volts ISH alternator). I say ISH as If im correct, even a 13.5 volt producing alternator can keep a healthy battery in good enough shape for any next start up, that is if all connections ,fittings , wire's , and such are in good clean contact condition. Any and all batteries degrade from day one of manufacture, or more specific, from when the battery cells are flooded with acid for the first time. It's normal. its just how well the battery is put together and variations of components used in its build. lots of different varieties out there. The first time you need to replace a battery is a good time to do the battery 101. Take some time to look and ask around about what options are available to meet your specific needs. # 1,A battery that carries a long free replacement WITH installation provided free, warranty at an authorized seller is a pretty good guess you'r getting a quality battery thats built to perform and last. Lastly, don't leave anything hooked up to an always live outlet, the car is doing that already to some extent with alarms keeping it safe and keeping the computers in sleep mode or a bit more depending on make model.so adding to the already constant drain only tips the desired limit. Remember, when its time, check around, do the battery 101. Its worth it to pay now for best quality and peace of mind and avoid gimmick bargains. Good luck.
Aloha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts