Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2015 200 for my daughter and the only Keyfob it came with is recognized by the car (can see the dash light up and say step on brake before hitting start (or whatever) and can make the car’s lights flash and horn honk (when we hit unlock?) but nothing we will do will get us into the car. It’s a brand new battery in the keyfob. Can’t even seem to get the key to turn the manual lock. Keyfob is touching door, no cell phone close. Any ideas? Runs fine once we are in, just can’t get in.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can you verify that it is the right fob and key for the car? Any physical damage or signs that the fob got wet?

If the dash has EVIC, is there any messages or notifications about an 'invalid' key? Does the red security warning lamp (dot) stay on or blink?

The WCM (wireless control module) can store useful fault codes. It would be a body code and not a powertrain code, so an OBD2 code reader may not have the capability to help you.

Speedometer Gauge Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

It may be a good idea to get a 2nd fob made or try to get the 2nd fob from the previous owner?
A good locksmith or dealer should be able to cut and program a new fob. It is always good to have a back-up key.

It is possible that the drivers door key cylinder has never had to be used and the cylinder is frozen from non-use. Try a penetrant or solvent in the key-slot to see if it frees up?
Wipe any drips or over-spray from the paint as some solvents can damage the finish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The keyfob “looks” ok and dry. It says “Dodge” on the back so I’m pretty sure it’s not original to this car. The guy we bought it from could get it to work by pulling the back off and resetting the battery in the thing, so we were all thinking dead battery, but got home and replaced it with brand new battery and the behavior is the same. I see directions on resetting it online but I all requires you put the key in the ignition and not sure how to do that being it’s a push button start. The old owner is sending his mechanic over today to “fix” this. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and as far as messages on the dash, it seems to only give the one about putting your foot on the brake to start or whatever it says. Which means the key is reaching past the door. And once inside it runs fine, no other messages.

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
160 Posts
I believe that the "fob" talks to two different systems (door unlock/remotestart and fob/key present to allow the car to start).. Two different programmings...
Because the fob says DODGE on the back of it and the key doesn't work it probably still is partially programed to the DODGE...
You can get a blank key and have a FCA dealer cut it for this car... They will probably need the VIN# to do so... CHECK the price before having the key cut...
I think 200_S_AWD can offer more on the needed programming of this fob (if available)... I have read that these fobs are "married" to a specific car and resetting the fobs the dealer won't do it...
Dave

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,695 Posts
A scrupulous locksmith or dealer also needs proof that you own the car.
A 'passive' transducer in the fob provides the key ID to the WCM to allow a start.
The 'active' transmitter uses the fob batteries to lock/unlock the doors, unlock the trunk, initiate a panic alarm and perform a remote start.
There is a secret 4-digit code that is programmed into the fob to ID it to the car.
A fob can only be programmed once. If this 'Dodge' fob is programmed to another car, it has to stay with that car.

Font Parallel Slope Circle Diagram

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2015 200 for my daughter and the only Keyfob it came with is recognized by the car (can see the dash light up and say step on brake before hitting start (or whatever) and can make the car’s lights flash and horn honk (when we hit unlock?) but nothing we will do will get us into the car. It’s a brand new battery in the keyfob. Can’t even seem to get the key to turn the manual lock. Keyfob is touching door, no cell phone close. Any ideas? Runs fine once we are in, just can’t get in.
Make sure all recalls have been completed and then i would ask a locksmith or just have the dealer take care of it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts