Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's at dealer since yesterday. They verified the noise - sounds similar as to when they didn't torque something down when they replaced the PTU last time, but that was a steady LOUD noise whenever the car moved, and knocking matched wheels or axle shafts spinning. Now, it just makes a very audible knock from outside and noticeable from the inside over medium to small bumps - either side... The suspension and bushings all look good to me. Knocking started all of the sudden, not gradually. Anyone ever have this issue?

Maybe they missed something else in installing the PTU last month besides the fasteners I showed them that were not installed, at least the ones that I could see. :mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Suspension/drivetrain noises are a pain. Only really two ways to "easily" verify. One way involves a lift, a few pry bars and a large rubber mallet. Basically pry on everything fairly hard to see movement. And in some cases use the mallet. Other one involves sticking a GoPro down there at different angles to try and put the "noise" to "movement". I had fought a noise on my Focus for years. Sounded like it was coming from the pillar (b I think..lol) right behind the driver where the seatbelt retractor attached, or the front of the rear door. Ended up being the parking brake cable rubbing on the bottom of the car near where a channel went up the b pillar. The resonance carried up there making it sound like it came from a different spot. Drove me nuts for like 3 years. My wife's Acadia.....replaced a ton of stuff in the front suspension and steering wise. Was either the rack and pinion bushings or the front struts done at the same time that fixed it. Then only a year later it's back. Want to drive it into a lake at this point. I wish you the best of luck. If they can't fix it, keep taking it back until you can make a lemon out of it and get a check/new car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
To be honest I think I have a slight noise on the rear suspension of my 200. Not too bad yet. I fixed all the rear deck/3rd brake light noises. But I notice that one every now and then.

Also, having someone drive while you.....get in weird positions to figure out the general area or which side.kinda helps

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently it was the driveshaft, replaced under warranty. Probably was damaged by the old PTU... who knows.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd be all in blaming any and everything against them not doing they're job correctly. "Forgetting parts" is crazy. You would have seen a crazy dude close to the deep end who hadn't taken his bipolar meds in a few days ready to take on Mike Tyson, GSP, and Jon Jones type crazy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Apparently it was the driveshaft, replaced under warranty. Probably was damaged by the old PTU... who knows.
I have an AWD and my entire rear differential had to be replaced last time I took the car in. I didn't have any symptoms but while they were doing the oil change and standard inspection they said it was leaking like crazy. They were just going to replace the seal but after further inspection said it was dangerous to drive and had to be completely replaced.

Makes me wonder if there's just a factory issue with the rear setup on our vehicles. Hopefully the replacement will last a bit longer.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an AWD and my entire rear differential had to be replaced last time I took the car in. I didn't have any symptoms but while they were doing the oil change and standard inspection they said it was leaking like crazy. They were just going to replace the seal but after further inspection said it was dangerous to drive and had to be completely replaced.

Makes me wonder if there's just a factory issue with the rear setup on our vehicles. Hopefully the replacement will last a bit longer.
So I have had the PTU replaced twice, diff once and driveshaft once. Hopefully it all stays in tact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts