Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks ago, I noticed I was leaking oil out of the oil housing unit. Ordered the dorman aluminum one and installed. All new gaskets, torqued everything to spec. After 500 miles its leaking like crazy again. There is oil on top of the unit and below. The stuff on top makes me think its coming from the cooling unit and maybe spilling on top of the engine block resulting on all that buildup? This ones got me puzzled. It's got a lifetime warranty, so do I get a new one and try again, or go a different route?

White Motor vehicle Light Black Automotive design
Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Did any of the O-rings get pinched or look different from the others?
OFA= oil filter adapter.

Font Circle Number Parallel Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
The rubber has distorted badly and definitely could cause the leak. Don't let aerosol solvent or degreaser solutions attack the rubber. Wipe up the excess oil with a rag.
The 3 'bulges' on the round rings are to locate and hold them securely in the groove during reassembly.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Yes. Install them dry.

From the bulletin:
NOTE: Do not clean or de-grease the engine at this time because some solvents may cause rubber to swell, temporarily stopping the leak.

I think in your case, they swelled up and began to leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Install them dry.

From the bulletin:
NOTE: Do not clean or de-grease the engine at this time because some solvents may cause rubber to swell, temporarily stopping the leak.

I think in your case, they swelled up and began to leak.

Dry. So do not pre-lube them with any sort of oil like you would an oil filter ring?

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Clean motor oil would be OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i respect you alot for doing it yourself. i paid the mechanic to repair this same issue. one day i noticed oil in my driveway and sure enough, oil leak from Oil Filter housing like you have:(. ugghh. $450 total. so far it has been a year and all good and dry.

good luck with your repair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts