Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 2015 200S. I have read a thread on here pertaining to people converting some of the interior lights to LED. However I haven't seen a How-To guide or any actual part #'s labeled. If anyone has some info that would be great. I may just need to create a How-To guide for the forum.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have done the conversion to LED and you will need 7x 194, 5SMD LED bulbs. Now, 4 will be inside the vehicle, one will be in the truck, and then two for the license plate.

These are the bulbs I used, they are very cool white, and pretty bright.
http://www.amazon.com/Zone-Tech-5-smd-BRIGHT-Lights/dp/B00755JMYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412685919&sr=8-1&keywords=194+led

HOWEVER, for the license plate bulbs, they barely fit. You can either use them as it, take off the top LED, or buy these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-8PCS-Lights-White-4-SMD/dp/B00EPA7BXU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412685919&sr=8-3&keywords=194+led

As for replacing them, the license plate is pretty easy. All you have to do is pry off the clear plastic housing, unplug the bulb, plug the new one in, test, flip the bulb 180 (polarity) if the bulb doesn't light up, and then replace the lens.

Trunk bulb: THIS LAMP GETS HOT... the lens is part of the housing, so to replace this bulb, you have to pry from the left or right (i think it is the left) as there is a retaining clip that holds the housing in place. Once you get it out, the rest is self explanatory.

Interior Driver and Front Passenger Lights (no sunroof): open the sunglasses holder, pry the console down. There are two clips on each side. They will just snap out. From here, you have to unplug the wiring harness and then remove the light bulb from its housing. This is a little tricky and I don't remember how they come out. Once you install the LEDs, test and re-install the console.

Interior Rear Map Lights (no sunroof): You can pry this unit out as well. There are clips on both sides. Once you get this one down, replace the bulbs, test, and reinstall.

For all the prying, I recommend using a plastic prying tool. All I had was a spudger and it seemed to work ok. I wish I had some trim removal tools, would have made it easier. Overall though, this is an easy mod. You can pretty much just go for it and figure it out as you go. Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

My car does have the sunroof. I actually already ordered the Cutequeen ones you listed. Are the Zone Tech ones brighter for the interior?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Zone Techs may be slightly brighter since they have have an extra LED. But the license plate, the Cutequeens should work without the LED hitting the lens.

As for the sunroof, there are some questions swirling around the forum as to if the dome lights in sunroof models are already LED. If they are, they cannot be changed as they are soldered on. Something to definitely check before ordering any more bulbs! Please report back as to what your interior lights are and if possible provide a picture for other members who have the Pano Sunroof and those of us who are just curious!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$10 for all of the LED's...not to worried if they won't work, I'll just put them in the wife's car. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just to elaborate on 121a's guide.

For the rear seat/dome lights (no sun roof) there are two clips at the back of the housing.

For the front seat lights there are two clips at the front of the housing.

I found the way to release them was by prying down on the corner nearest each clip. Rear corners for back seat, front corners for front seat. Using a plastic trim tool with an angled head (like as "7") worked best because of the added leverage.

The rear light sockets twist out of the back (top) of the housing. The front ones, with wires attached, pull straight out.

I was not able to get the 5-SMD lights to fit through the socket opening on the front lights. The only way I could see that those might be installed without modifying the light housing would possibly be to disassemble the housing and install them from the lens side. The 4-SMD lights fit easily though the socket opening though and do provide enough light, so that's what I used.

For the license plate lights I was able to use the 5-SMD LEDs without modifying them, however the SMD on the tip of the LED "bulb" is jammed tightly against the lens. It just fits with possibly a very slight (< 1 mm) deformation of the lens. The good thing is they'll never work loose with the lens pressing them into the socket. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the sunroof and the interior lights seem to be incandescent. Or they're very yellow LEDs. I have the premium lighting group and was kind of thinking it would have all LEDs. I'm not quite brave enough to start prying stuff off just yet. I'd love to have some whiter light though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the sunroof and the interior lights seem to be incandescent. Or they're very yellow LEDs. I have the premium lighting group and was kind of thinking it would have all LEDs. I'm not quite brave enough to start prying stuff off just yet. I'd love to have some whiter light though.
If you have the sunroof, they are LED.

I know they look to have an odd yellow color to them...but if you notice the footwell LED's, they are also this same yellow color.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok so I know you guys described them in your post but I am still having a hard time following the pry points. That and I am afraid of breaking something. Can anyone post pictures with possibly the points annotated on the picture?

·
Registered
562 Posts
When you guys are mentioning prying are you talking about the clear lens part or the entire unit?

Which area are you talking about ? Are you planning on changing out the rear circular LED's or the front dome light ?

If it's the front dome light just pry gently from the front of the unit. Once you get a gap, work the unit out with your fingers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMAG0865.jpg
So this is what I figured for the visor: pry points circled red. Bulb type is 74 (T5 LED type).

IMAG0866.jpg
For the front lights, do I pry near the black circles (the entire unit) or do I pry near the red circles (light lens). Also why do I need to open down the sunglasses holder?

IMAG0867.jpg

For the rear lights do I pry at the black circles (entire unit) or pry at the red circles (light lens)?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The visor light points are correct.

For the front dome light housing, it's in the black circle area. Again...I would just get one side/area loose and then work the rest of the assembly out with your fingers (to help minimize the chance of pry damage).

I thought you were referring to the LED rear circle lights in the sunroof model (which yours is not). I would be unable to help you with your rear lights as I am not familiar with removing your particular one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any tips for removing the rear circular lights? I removed the bezel around the light but the light seems to be connected to a small circuit card.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Any tips for removing the rear circular lights? I removed the bezel around the light but the light seems to be connected to a small circuit card.
Those are LED. Unless you are going to re-solder a new LED...I wouldn't mess with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know but I was thinking maybe the bulb would pull out. If it's soldered then I wont mess with it. I guess I'll leave the front lights alone too since it wouldn't make sense to have half your interior nice white lights and the other half a dingy yellow

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got my OEM bulbs down from the center unit on the inside roof. When I plug in the LED's they work however they stay lit after everything is off but VERY dim....they never power all of the way down. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions??

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no idea.. But I was wondering if anyone has swapped out front/rear turn signal and brake lights to LED yet?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts