Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have looked at led headlights and from what i heard they do not work well in projector housings. I was looking for more brightness with my headlamps so i ordered the hid kit from rpm Motorsports. Its $99 and requires only slight modification. (Drilling hole through dust cap). Link is below if interested. If anyone else has used led headlamps feel free to chime in..
https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/store/c33/2015__Chrysler_200.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't waste your time / money on LED bulbs. Just go straight for HIDe and you'll never look back. If you search throughmy threads, you will see my installations of HIDs in both my headlights and fog lights. They have been going strong for 2 years no with no issues, no dash lights, and no burnouts. Mine were DDM Tuning brand canvas adapters. Cost about $80 or $90 per set (was like $160 or $170 foe the whole car). Takes a couple hours to install, but is pretty much plug and play. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is actually the first time I saw someone recommending HID. Usually, I see LED so that is what I have. In terms of brightness and life which is better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
LED will almost always last longer, as a general rule. HID is comparable but lasts about half as long as LED. There are pros and cons to each choice. LED is typically easier to install, HID requires some modifications. All I had to do was drill hole in the dust cap and you have to mount the ballasts somewhere under the hood. LED usually has a fan in the bulb housing as it takes a lot of heat to generate all the light. If the fan ever stops the bulb will not last long. Thats what I didnt want to concern myself with. Of course the ballast in HID could fail also. Its to each their own. LED also did not appear to have better downroad visibility from the comparison tests i saw. So I went with HID. Only $100 well worth it IMO

·
Registered
78 Posts
The stock headlights use a 9005 bulb. Replace those with a 9011 bulb that is nearly twice as bright but doesn't use any more electricity and won't overheat the housing. You have to modify one of the locking tabs to let it fit (I used a big pair of toenail clippers) You will be amazed how much better the lights are for so little money:

https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
I noticed that the OEM halogen bulbs with the projector headlight assembly gave me poor light on the road... Our 2014 KIA Optima with aftermarket LEDs flood the road with light...

I have tried cheaper LED assemblies with really bad results in my 2016 Chrysler 200s
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=254074354500&view=all&tid=2416764799015
These had two sides with COB LEDs and the light output was terrible...

I just got better 4 sided COB LED assemblies and the difference was much better than the OEM halogen...
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=254074354500&view=all&tid=2416764799015
I also haven't had the dreaded "headlight out" errors with them...

I have in the past used HID (discharge) lamps but they were very troublesome and the light output and color would change with time...Ballast failure was also very common... I wouldn't go back to HIDs or halogen bulbs...

I also changed my fog/driving bulbs to LED...
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the information. I guess LED is more popular because of the ads we see but based on your answers, HID is better. I there for conclude, I was educated wrongly about lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,
i have a 2012 LX. i just installed LED's 2 days ago and they have not been working right at all. One would go off for a couple seconds then come back on, then the other side would do the same. At times, they would both go out briefly, then come back on. I took them back out yesterday and put the factory bulbs back in. Any suggestions for brighter bulbs for a 2012?
Thanks in advance..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Razorback Nation
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing