Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a flashing odometer on my 2015 200C... I figure that it's just a computer thing and a proxi alignment will fix it. Looked online and everything points to the proxi alignment - heated steering wheel and heated/vented seats don't work (which are the only problems I can find on my car) and possibly other issues.

The Chrysler dealership took it in and after a couple hours tells me that the heated seat module is bad. It supposed keeps blowing fuses. That's why the odometer is flashing - the BCM can't sync up with it.

So, three questions...

1. Where is the heated seat module located? :unsure:
2. How hard is it to swap out? :eek:
3. Will it need to go back to the dealership to "learn" about the new module? :cautious:

·
Registered
75 Posts
1. On these cars I believe the module is also called the Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) and it is located under the passenger seat (mounted to the seat). Take a look at figure 4 in the TSB I linked below.
2. Taking a look at the TSB (not the same issue but does involve replacing the module) it appears that it might be necessary to replace several other parts of the seats since the heated seat elements have to be the correct version to go with the module. Check out the cautions in the TSB. But like I said, it's not the exact same issue so it might be possible to replace just the module as long as you made sure to have the correct version to match the other equipment. It also looks like you would probably have to take out the passenger seat to remove the module, though you might be able to squeeze under without doing so. So in other words, looks like it would be a pain.
3. The TSB says a PROXI alignment and several tests using Witech are necessary, so it would probably have to go to the dealer or a shop that has the appropriate tool.

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. On these cars I believe the module is also called the Comfort Seat and Wheel Module (CSWM) and it is located under the passenger seat (mounted to the seat). Take a look at figure 4 in the TSB I linked below.
Thanks!

According to that TSB, it does sound like a major pain to do. I will most likely remove the module and take it to the dealership to see if they have an exact match. Having to replace the heating elements would be a major headache!

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
As long as you are trusting of a correct diagnosis. If the dealer misdiagnoses a module, they can eat the loss better than the owner could.
Can you verify and have you experienced the blowing fuses part? (you did say 'supposedly' at the top of the thread).
Not to be a skeptic, but I have seen it happen before and it can be painful.

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership worked on it for about three hours. I wasn't the person paying for the work, so I don't have a copy of the invoice (yet). All I have to go on is what they said while they were working on it.

What I do know is that the fuse is currently missing and the odometer is blinking. I don't have any spare fuses to try it myself. Once I have a fuse I will try and see what happens.

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I do know is that the fuse is currently missing and the odometer is blinking. I don't have any spare fuses to try it myself. Once I have a fuse I will try and see what happens.
So, I got some fuses...

With the CSWM disconnected, I can start the car and turn on the heated seats and the 20A fuse does not blow.
With the CSWM connected, I start the car and turn on the heated seats and the 20A fuse blows.

So, it looks like the module is bad... or something in the wiring AFTER the module.

If I had a wiring diagram for this module I could try connecting only some of the plugs to it and see what happens, and I could test the wiring that comes after the module for shorts.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
Both the left and right seats? Both Hi and Lo heat?
The drivers seat cushion heat feed is a LG/Br wire. The passenger seat cushion heat feed is a Wt/Tn wire. Both seat heater grounds are Bk wires.
Both the drivers and passengers seat vent motor feed is a Pk/Yl wire. Vent motor ground-side returns back to the module.
Try to determine if it is an internal module short or a pinched(?) or shorted-to-gnd feed wire.

While looking for a short, I might plug a circuit breaker in place of the fuse, so I'm not wasting and constantly replacing blown fuses while diagnosing electrical systems:

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the left and right seats? Both Hi and Lo heat?
The drivers seat cushion heat feed is a LG/Br wire. The passenger seat cushion heat feed is a Wt/Tn wire. Both seat heater grounds are Bk wires.
Both the drivers and passengers seat vent motor feed is a Pk/Yl wire. Vent motor ground-side returns back to the module.

While looking for a short, I might plug a circuit breaker in place of the fuse, so I'm not wasting and constantly replacing blown fuses while diagnosing electrical systems:
I only tried the drivers seat. I did NOT check the fuse after I started the car with the module connected and NOT turning any of the seat options on. I'm going to try this next.

I could not find any White/Tan wire. I did find a Light Green/Violet wire on the same connector as the Light Green/Brown wire. I assume that these two wires feed the passenger and driver heated seats.

There was only one black wire, and it was a large gauge, so I'm pretty sure that was ground.

I did find two Pink/Yellow wires, on different connectors.

I'd love to use a circuit breaker, but I don't have one handy and my town is too small to offer much in this area...and I'm an hour away from any place that might have one.

I did use a meter to check the resistance between the LG/Br and LG/V wires to ground. I get 3 ohms on each. I tried to check the resistance between the two Pk/Y wires to ground but the meter registers between 60 and 200 ohms, then goes back to infinity. I'm not sure what else I can check with my meter at this point as I'm not sure where the wires come from or go to.

Below is a diagram showing the module, and all the wire colours and where they connect to. If anyone has a diagram for what connects to this module a copy would be appreciated!

p.s. The module is a piece of cake to get to and remove.

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only tried the drivers seat. I did NOT check the fuse after I started the car with the module connected and NOT turning any of the seat options on. I'm going to try this next.
...and the fuse does not blow when I run the car with the module fully connected and I don't touch the controls.

So, what I've found so far... (I'm using the numbers found on the module to identify each connection)...

With 1 and 2 connected, the fuse does not blow regardless of what I do. Heated seat indicator does not go off after a few seconds. Seat doesn't heat.

With 1, 2 and 4 connected, the fuse will blow when I try to adjust the seat heating controls. If I turn off the heated seat, the indicator comes back ON after a few seconds.

With 1,2 and 5 connected, the fuse will blow when I try to adjust the seat heating controls.

So... I'd like to know where connector 4 and 5 go under the seat.

·
Registered
2015 200C AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So... had a bit of time to work on this today. With the car running, I can turn on both VENTED seats and they stay on. The fuse does not blow. If I switch them from High to Low, the fuse blows. Also, if I turn on any HEATED seat or the wheel the fuse also blows.

Looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see any particular wire or wire group that would cause the fuse to blow when controlling either seat. This is really looking like a CSWM module issue. I just wish I knew it was the module for sure before spending $100+ on a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts