Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my wife started our 2015 Chrysler 200C remotely form inside the house. She opened the door and threw some stuff in the car, including her purse, which had the key fob in it. She then closed the door and went back into the house and she returned to the car about 3 minutes later, only to find out that the doors were locked. $50 and 2 hours later, the door was opened by a towing service. My question is, why doesn't the car recognize the key fob when it was right on the drivers seat? It recognizes it when we walk up to the car and pull the handle from the outside. I don't see the difference. And why did it lock to begin with? I later tried to recreate the event and I could not. Then I thought maybe she hit the lock button while closing the door, but the car didn't allow me to lock the door when the door was open. I tried both ways, by hitting the button and with the key fob.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have left my fob in the car and then tried to lock the door using the door handle button and it will not lock, however, I've remote started my car knowing the doors were unlocked and the doors will lock when the car is remote started. Perhaps because she remote started the car and then left it is locked the doors again even though the key fob was in the car? If that is so, I would think this would be considered a good anti-theft feature, maybe the car knows if someone is seated in the car, then the doors would not lock.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The doors will lock by themselves under certain conditions. I've had it happen when I walked away for a few minutes then came back only to have the door lock before my eyes, very annoying.
In this case either the fob was too far away to be detected, so the car thought no one was in the car and then locked the doors, or as mentioned above the remote start feature locked the doors knowing someone was inside.
I used to store a spare key under the car in case of a lock out or loss of keys. With this fob you can remove the metal second key and hide it under the car

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unlock them with your phone thru the Uconnect app

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sorry, I have to cry foul on this one. I just went out and tested this in two ways. First I remote started my car then placed my keys inside a hardened eyeglass case and put that inside the car on the passenger seat. I wasn't able to lock the car with the button on the door handle outside.

Next I repeated the process but this time I placed my keys inside the toe of my steel toe'd boots and put it inside the backseat floorboard. These are actual steel toe'd boots which should interupt the signal of the key fob. Still I wasn't able to lock the car from the outside door handle button.

So either the key-fob in your case was near dead (battery), there is a defect in the lock or sensor system, or this story is made up.

This car won't even let you lock the key fob in the trunk no matter if the car is running or not.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not everyone will subscribe to the UConnect feature after it expires.
The cost was high enough for me to say, "No Thanks" !
Well..I guess in this case, that probably wouldn't apply. This though should not really be a concern unless he purchased the car right when it first came out.

As others have pointed out...the story seems odd.

First question (right behind the app).....would be where was the second key set ? since every new car comes with 2 sets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry, I have to cry foul on this one. I just went out and tested this in two ways. First I remote started my car then placed my keys inside a hardened eyeglass case and put that inside the car on the passenger seat. I wasn't able to lock the car with the button on the door handle outside.

Next I repeated the process but this time I placed my keys inside the toe of my steel toe'd boots and put it inside the backseat floorboard. These are actual steel toe'd boots which should interupt the signal of the key fob. Still I wasn't able to lock the car from the outside door handle button.

So either the key-fob in your case was near dead (battery), there is a defect in the lock or sensor system, or this story is made up.

This car won't even let you lock the key fob in the trunk no matter if the car is running or not.
Lol..why would he make this story up? Some of you people who call bluff on other people's experiences baffle me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unlock them with your phone thru the Uconnect app
Not everyone will subscribe to the UConnect feature after it expires.
The cost was high enough for me to say, "No Thanks" !
Amen to that. No matter what, I am not going to "subscribe" to my car. Never have paid for Satelite radio. Not going to pay for uconnect either. What I should have done along with getting my free lifetime powertrain warranty after my transmission issues was also have Chrysler throw in 10 years of uconnect for free.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Some of you people who call bluff on other people's experiences baffle me
As I'm baffled as to why some believe every word written on the internet.

In regards to this one, though.....I also tried a quick test (not as detailed as the other member) but also couldn't get it to stay locked when running.

So either this is an extremely rare abnormality or other factors are involved and blaming it on the car...would provide the "most convenient" resolution.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Recently, my wife started our 2015 Chrysler 200C remotely form inside the house. She opened the door and threw some stuff in the car, including her purse, which had the key fob in it. She then closed the door and went back into the house and she returned to the car about 3 minutes later, only to find out that the doors were locked. $50 and 2 hours later, the door was opened by a towing service. My question is, why doesn't the car recognize the key fob when it was right on the drivers seat? It recognizes it when we walk up to the car and pull the handle from the outside. I don't see the difference. And why did it lock to begin with? I later tried to recreate the event and I could not. Then I thought maybe she hit the lock button while closing the door, but the car didn't allow me to lock the door when the door was open. I tried both ways, by hitting the button and with the key fob.
Just curious, did she have her cell phone in the purse as well?

With all of you testing this, did you attempt to put the key in a small bag like purse with a cell phone? We have had other posts in the past describe how a cell phone blocks the keys signal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As I'm baffled as to why some believe every word written on the internet.

In regards to this one, though.....I also tried a quick test (not as detailed as the other member) but also couldn't get it to stay locked when running.

So either this is an extremely rare abnormality or other factors are involved and blaming it on the car...would provide the "most convenient" resolution.
Technology has its glitches all the time..specially with this car so it's not hard to believe. Don't think someone would make this up lol he's not gaining anything from it. Just no point in calling someone a bluff on their personal experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
One time I had the keyfob in my pocket but when I tried starting the car I got a message saying the key was not detected. I pulled it out and placed it on the left side door handle next to me, then I was able to start the car. It was a one time only. My guess is that the key inside the car was not detected.

P.S. Whoever said that they know this is not true (tymperi's experience) because they were not able to replicate, you are wrong.

Reactions: Cschmidt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Doesn't remote start time out after 30 minutes or something (unless you hit the brake + start button before then)?

Also, you can't lock your key in the car when it's off (ask me how I know lol). It'll beep a couple times and unlock the door.

If it's running and locked then it's not going to open from the outside without the key being outside with you (otherwise someone could just walk up and carjack you since the door would unlock for them since the key is inside with you).

So it sounds like it was locked from the inside (possibly after she closed the door something hit the button in her purse?).

Also, if you turn the car off, lock it, and sit inside of it, you're trapped (again, ask me how I know lol). The keyfob will stop responding and attempting to unlock/open the door from the inside will set the alarm off. :cool:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Technology has its glitches all the time..specially with this car so it's not hard to believe. Don't think someone would make this up lol he's not gaining anything from it. Just no point in calling someone a bluff on their personal experience.
No one ever said technology never fails..but also there is human error. The remote start system lasts for 15-minute cycles (up to a maximum of 2 times).

The chances of simultaneous failures (of both the locking system and remote system allowing the car to run for 2 hours)....especially if the systems have worked fine afterwards....would be extremely, extremely rare.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just curious, did she have her cell phone in the purse as well?

With all of you testing this, did you attempt to put the key in a small bag like purse with a cell phone? We have had other posts in the past describe how a cell phone blocks the keys signal.
I believe that is what happened to me a while back.

The door with enter and go would not unlock for a week.

I brought it in to the dealer to have it fixed thinking the reciever in the handle was bad. After a while the service writer came out and said it worked fine. I went and tried it and sure enough it was working again.

I thought they must of reset something and forgot about it.

Last week after about a month of working perfect I went to unlock the car and it did not work again. My cell phone was in my pocket with the key fob and when I pulled the fob out to get it closer it worked fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well it just happened 2 me keys inside purse in drivers seat and i went 2 check mail locked out

1 - 20 of 29 Posts