Chrysler 200 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Well it just happened 2 me keys inside purse in drivers seat and i went 2 check mail locked out
Is your cellphone in your purse? If so - that could be why. Interference from cellphone right next to keys...

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
490 Posts
If the trunk opens, put the back seats down and crawl in and unlock a back door

·
Registered
490 Posts
The straps to put down the seats are inside, so how can you put the seats down from the trunk? Is there a latch in the trunk too?
The latch is back there and its open and flimsy. In an emergency, youll get in!

Reactions: Black Knight

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have left my fob in the car and then tried to lock the door using the door handle button and it will not lock, however, I've remote started my car knowing the doors were unlocked and the doors will lock when the car is remote started. Perhaps because she remote started the car and then left it is locked the doors again even though the key fob was in the car? If that is so, I would think this would be considered a good anti-theft feature, maybe the car knows if someone is seated in the car, then the doors would not lock.
Well it just happened to me right now idk why or how, but did! I'm pissed bc I won't open it says on the dash when i try to open the car door or button to unlock it. Remote start cancelled time expired. Wtf man!?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently, my wife started our 2015 Chrysler 200C remotely form inside the house. She opened the door and threw some stuff in the car, including her purse, which had the key fob in it. She then closed the door and went back into the house and she returned to the car about 3 minutes later, only to find out that the doors were locked. $50 and 2 hours later, the door was opened by a towing service. My question is, why doesn't the car recognize the key fob when it was right on the drivers seat? It recognizes it when we walk up to the car and pull the handle from the outside. I don't see the difference. And why did it lock to begin with? I later tried to recreate the event and I could not. Then I thought maybe she hit the lock button while closing the door, but the car didn't allow me to lock the door when the door was open. I tried both ways, by hitting the button and with the key fob.
So this just happened with my girlfriends car. It locked while running with the keys inside, would not unlock with the button on the door. The only good thing was we had just put the dog in the car, and it took 20min but we finally got him to roll down the window. So then I told her to get in, lock it and see if it would not allow the front passenger door to unlock the car and it wouldnt. So it did it again, idk what the issue is but probably a failure of these awful Chrysler cars. I'm going to try to get her into something better asap

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the forums and give that good boy a bone.
Keep a window down, start the car and walk away from it with the keys. Leave the keys somewhere about 30 feet away and walk back towards the running car,
Can you lock all the doors? Is there a dash message indicating that the key is no longer detected? Some aftermarket Remote Start installations will defeat the lock-out prevention.
With the keys on you outside the car, can you unlock the door handle button or the trunk unlock button (by the license plate)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, I have to cry foul on this one. I just went out and tested this in two ways. First I remote started my car then placed my keys inside a hardened eyeglass case and put that inside the car on the passenger seat. I wasn't able to lock the car with the button on the door handle outside.

Next I repeated the process but this time I placed my keys inside the toe of my steel toe'd boots and put it inside the backseat floorboard. These are actual steel toe'd boots which should interupt the signal of the key fob. Still I wasn't able to lock the car from the outside door handle button.

So either the key-fob in your case was near dead (battery), there is a defect in the lock or sensor system, or this story is made up.

This car won't even let you lock the key fob in the trunk no matter if the car is running or not.
I jnow this is annold post but i am currently experiencing the same issue. Car is running with fob inside and everything, including trunk is locked.
Just changed the batteries for winter since they froze. What the heck would anyone get from posting something about a car that is false

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
I jnow this is annold post but i am currently experiencing the same issue. Car is running with fob inside and everything, including trunk is locked.
Just changed the batteries for winter since they froze. What the heck would anyone get from posting something about a car that is false
I can attest that the car should never lock with the key fob inside. However, a weak or non -functioning fob won't be recognized and therefore, the doors can lock.
My only suggestion now is to replace the key fob batteries with a known quality brand of battery, not one from a tray of hundreds like the local battery store sells. I use Duracell 2032 and always keep a fresh pack of them handy.
Do you have a second fob ? Does that work properly ?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts