Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched through the threads and didn't see any that had pics of the installation so I thought I would put a few up. I have installed this many times on my grand caravan and it is significantly easier on that than the 200.

Anyway, in order to remove the center bezel around the radio, I used a fiberstick to pry/pull this off. There are four main trim attachments on this piece, one on each side of the radio and then one on each side slightly lower and inboard of these. Try not to pull near the vents as they are held on with four flimsy tabs, two on top and two on bottom. Also along the top edge there are 5 tabs that will need to disengage once you get it pulled out a little. There will be two connectors to disengage from the bezel, one for radio and other for the bottom switchs.

Once this is removed, the radio will be held in place with four torx screws, I believe T20. Remove these and now you can pull the radio out, it will be a little snug. On the back, there will be a large gray connector, small gray connector and two coax antenna connectors (There is no white connector from the main vehicle wiring). Disconnect these and remove radio. Now you are ready to install the lockpick harness. There will be a long branch from the pigtail harness that connects to the lockpick module. This can be fed through the IP bracket on the left side down to the driver side footwell area. If you are adding rear camera, it is easier to tape this to the main bundle and snake it through.
See opening on left side in pic below.

The harness will have aux inputs and outputs. These can be fed into the glovebox. There is a piece of white foam on the right side of the opening, you can pull this up and feed the connectors in there.
See white foam on right side of pic.

There is some dead space directly below the radio opening behind where the switches are. You can store the excess wire length and connections in here and on the left side where the main bundle went down to the footwell area is where i put the unused white connector.

No you are ready to reconnect everything. Make sure you now connect the white connector to the radio as this is where i believe the camera feeds are located. Once this is done, test all functions before reinstalling the trim piece. I don't have my rear camera installed yet, but i did try it out and you can see the inside of my vehicle in the pic.

To store the module, there is some dead space behind the lower trim under the steering wheel or directly behind the center of the IP. You want to be able to access this in case of any updates that will be done through the usb connector. I don't have mine stowed yet because i have to install my rear camera still. It is actually wrapped around and sitting in the center console bin. Gives you an idea of how much excess wire there is.

Keep in mind, the IP bracket is very sharp, make sure you cover the wires and connectors to prevent any cut ckts and also minimize any bsr possibilities.

Pay attention to the lockpick settings for the dip switches. This vehicle is a low speed system. All functions worked as expected, rear camera comes on when in reverse, gps input while in motion, view video while in motion and sports button on the travel link works while in motion.

·
138 Posts
Great in depth guide! I'm sure this will help many people out,
I'm working on getting a how-to section added, I think this will be a good addition!

Keep up the great work.
'

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't remember off hand which radio version i have, but it does have NAV. The nav button on this radio is a soft key. On my minivan the nav is a hard key

·
Registered
11 Posts
does the module use v5 where you get see performance times?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Really, thanks a million for this post. I am about to embark on a great quest of installing a complete CHR550 system with two side view cameras, rear view camera and a Korean model black box. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok thanks..I am waiting for my lockpic to arrive.. I bought the V5 unit. I also bought the rear camera and front camera they had. good reviews. I have a 200 HT conv. will let you know how I made out. thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are the cameras that I used, Korean company and smaller footprint. Used the same for the side and back.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello All...Ok Just installed my lockpic V5 !!! it was simple...thanks to everyone on this site with info!! getting the front cover off around radio!! Just as it states..plug and play. one note when you pull out the radip. (RHR730 w/o factory backup etc) you will only have a GREY PLUG !! in radio...so just unplug and plug lockpic harness in radio,., then grey plug in to harness. then you MUST PLUG in the WHITE plug into the Radio from the lockpic harness. and that's it !!!! I put the locpic unit just under the side panel on the pass side. Very easy to grasp it. I did not use the video in/out plugs so left them up next to the radio (did not put in glove box) ..I then installed a rear plate mount camera and the 21 feet of cable is NOT enough. I ran the wire up the pass kick plate.. along the rear pass seat. On the convt. hatch (trunk) you must follow the factory wire harness as all of you know the hatch opens BOTH ways and you need enough wire to follow the lifting arms in both directions. I then removed the drv side plate light and drilled a hole in the sub wall for the wires too the camera. I then just took a dremmel and made a "U" shape cutout next to the light base for the wire ...
All the controls work great.. I am in installing a Front camera but not much room in the grill to get a good angle on the front of the car. It does work great tho as with the front camera option on as you slow down the front camera comes on ..you can turn that option off also. Also with V5 my stearing wheel controls work with the cameras switching from front to back etc. Everything else works so far..MY PASSENGER !!can view sports/movies/etc on the nav while traveling down the road.
Again thanks for all the pics and info on this post for the install

BTW.. this is where I bought Lockpic I also bought the two cameras that they showed on their site.
http://www.coastaletech.com/
NHCOWBOY!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice writeup and thanks for the detail. Just ordered a lockpick with front and rear cams from Coastaletech. I did the same setup on the Challenger and its awesome to have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem. I agree the lockpick is the best thing you can put in especially if you have NAV. I've also got one on our caravan.
Nice writeup and thanks for the detail. Just ordered a lockpick with front and rear cams from Coastaletech. I did the same setup on the Challenger and its awesome to have.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi There. What front cam did you order the one I got has a wide angle and using it in front is hard to judge the pass corner for "P" parking. I am in search of a new one!!!!!. BTW. I just mounted it between the bottom grill and bumper with black sticky compound. Still trying
different places till I find a good all around mounting spot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pic of front cam mounted. Its screwed in place by 2 screws. This is one of the cams sold by Coastaletech.
DSC01925.JPG

I routed wiring for it up to hood latch area then off to drivers side fender. Theres some black insulation stuffed into the fender and I just tucked the wiring there. The tricky part is not finding a grommet in the firewall to pass the wiring through. Oddly enough, the engine compartment wiring is routed as a bundle to the drivers side door jamb. This is where I hoped to pass the cam wiring through but... couldn't find where the wiring came through on inside of car. I ran it around the door jamb into the interior temporarily but will need to find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On a 2012 200 with RHR, I would not recommend the LockPick Chry550 because it DID NOT WORK on my car. I got it all plugged in, carefully tucked wires into cavity under the radio, slid radio back in, re-connected 2 bezel connectors (clock and seats/hazard), went to start car... the car started for a second then shut down. The evic flashed "no bus" as the car auto shut off. Radio never woke up. Wonderful!

I called Coastaletech and they took my name and number saying a tech should call me back today. Thinking I shoulda got the V5. What really ticks me off is that I called them before ordering to ensure the CHRY550 would work on a 2012 200.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Installing a key hole camera as we speak. So far...so good. Removed the grey rear trunk mouse fur trim piece (on the inside deck lid behind the key lock) with a trim removal tool. Unclipped the lock tumbler and removed the lock. The key hole isn't perfectly round....it has 4 tabs that need to be filed down to allow the camera to fit. I spray painted the key hole from the trunk side to protect the filed edges. I reused the rubber gasket from the lock mechanism and added it to the smaller rubber gasket that comes with the camera. Now off to Radio Shack to buy a long RCA cable...guessing at least 30 ft.

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant edit my post#17 in this thread so I'll post an update here.

The CHR550 Lockpick WILL work with RHR radio in a 2012 200. The instructions that came with it are wrong where it describes setting the #2 and #3 dip switches. The 200 is a "Low Speed" application. Once set correctly, the entire system worked. Once on the "TV" tab, scroll down to "iPod Out" and press "Video" in the NAV screen. From there on you can use steering wheel controls to browse playlist, artists, songs, etc on the iPod Touch. The NAV display show the album cover of the song playing... although for my iPod the covers are either not there or wrong lol.

I have a rear bar cam and also a front cam... maybe first on these boards to have posted success on a front cam :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The front cam had to be remounted since the video was up side down. You'll want the front cam mounted to the underside of the lower grill opening.

Front Cam mounted correctly
Front Cam screw locs.JPG Front Cam mounted.JPG Front Cam mounted with plate.JPG

1 - 20 of 44 Posts