Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other day I was having my winter tires swapped out for the factory all-season tires (which are horrible in the snow).

The technician said that the lug nuts are expanding and should be replaced. I never heard of such a thing before.

I researched the issue and read where some lug nuts with cover can expand if the steel underneath rusts. But these lug nuts don't have a cover.

Has anyone here ever had an issue like this before?

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
They do expand. I have had that issue. I had to replace all of them on my old Toyota Avalon. Decorative cover on the lugs expand, they look like they don't have covers but they do, take a lug one off and look closely at it. They probably do have a cover.

On my old 13' 200S I replaced all of them as well, the problem was that the "decorative cover" on each lug nut was falling off. I replaced all of them with solid chrome lug nuts that looked similar to stock, in fact unless I point them out to people, they wouldn't notice. I didn't bother with wasting my time for setting an appointment for the dealer to look at the lug nuts. I just bit the bullet and spend the $$ and replaced them myself with aftermarket ones.

Factory lugs don't always last the life of the car with newer vehicles I am learning. So far on the 15' and my wife's 13' limited, no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem on my Dodge Magnum. Although they looked like one piece nuts, they were actually 2 pieces. I had to replace them after about 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
I heard they do expand but that happens like in 5 years or so.
well... just like any part it can happen sooner depending on the quality or luck of the draw, my old 13' 200 S they didn't last one full year, my wife's 13' Limited is fine and the 15' 200S is fine.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mine has lug bolts, not nuts. The winter tire package from Tirerack came with new ones to be used only with the aftermarket wheels. I kept a set of 5 OE bolts in the glove box in case I ever had to put the spare on. That being said after one bad winter with the OE bolts and another sitting in a zip lock bag while the snows were on, they look as new :)

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Mine has lug bolts, not nuts.
Good point for using correct terminology, all the 15+ 200's have lug bolts and the bolt pattern changed to 5x110 so no swapping wheels old gen to new gen or vise versa.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Today was getting my oil changed and have tires rotated. Before rotating the tires, the techs came to me stating the lugs have expanded. They want $180 just for the part. Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket lug instead? If so, which ones did you get?

I have the 19 inch wheels on my C.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Today was getting my oil changed and have tires rotated. Before rotating the tires, the techs came to me stating the lugs have expanded. They want $180 just for the part. Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket lug instead? If so, which ones did you get?

I have the 19 inch wheels on my C.
Haven't replaced mine yet, but made a note of the one's JoeLasVegas said he was happy with.

PS $180:rolleyes::p.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
Shop around people.
One of our sponsors has them listed, Carid.
I found them on eBay also.

I just had a flat on the our 200. No problem removing the wheel. In June, we will have owned the car for 5 years.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Picked up 20 lug bolts for 30.00CAD from Mopar Parts Canada awhile back. I think regular price are like 10.50 apiece!
How did you get a set of 20 for $30? I just checked their site and they come up as $10.80 ea.
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
743 Posts
I found these on Amazon US.

AVNPerformance 12x1.25 Chrome Acorn Cone Seat Lug Bolts | 19mm Hex For Stock Wheels | 28mm Shank | Fit Most Jeep Fiat Dodge Dart

Only problem is, they don't ship to Canada.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I found these on Amazon US.

AVNPerformance 12x1.25 Chrome Acorn Cone Seat Lug Bolts | 19mm Hex For Stock Wheels | 28mm Shank | Fit Most Jeep Fiat Dodge Dart

Only problem is, they don't ship to Canada.
I just ordered this set from Amazon. Being delivered to my US address in Niagara Falls NY. $34.99 US for the set of 20.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Got my new lug nuts late yesterday but did not have a chance to have them installed since I didn't get home till so late from a road trip.

Was about to go somewhere this morning when I found...of course...a flat tire with a huge wood screw in it. There were several large truckers I was stuck behind yesterday that were shipping house or roof trusses. Did notice clanging in my wheel well twice. Now thinking they were screws falling off of the trucks.

Anyhow...I can't get the wheel off due to the original lug nuts swelled, literally cannot fit the tool on 3 of the 5 nuts. I'm going to have to pay a tow truck for towing expenses due to a flat tire. This is NOT cool.

Ok, griping is over......

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles travman. Let us know how the new lug bolts fit and compare when you switch them out.

I had my lug bolts shipped to my US address in Lewiston NY and my brother picked them up for me yesterday. I won't get them until my next trip down to visit him in about a month or two from now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
19 Participants
fltru103
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing