Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has had this happen to there 200 with a 3.6l. I started my car yesterday afternoon and let it warm up for about 10 minutes and when I go back outside there is a huge oil spill coming out from the drivers side of the engine bay. And when I mean huge 3/4 of the oil leaked out. There has been no signs of a leak till that point. I checked the oil plug and all was good. There was oil all over the top of the transmission and all over the bottom half of the motor. The top half of the motor is clean as can be. I can not seem to find where it's coming from. I have an appointment with the dealership next Tuesday and roadside assistance is coming on Monday to get it. My baby only has 5,800 miles on her and its a 2014. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There seemed to be a little bit of oil there but I just looks like some spilling from putting oil in.most of the oil is on the other side of the engine bay. I could see how it might travel to the drivers side but who knows. I saw some posts on a few jeep forums about the issue with the 2014 3.6l oil canister cracking but nothing over in our forum about it. That would really suck if that's the cause.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just wondering if anybody has had this happen to there 200 with a 3.6l. I started my car yesterday afternoon and let it warm up for about 10 minutes and when I go back outside there is a huge oil spill coming out from the drivers side of the engine bay. And when I mean huge 3/4 of the oil leaked out. There has been no signs of a leak till that point. I checked the oil plug and all was good. There was oil all over the top of the transmission and all over the bottom half of the motor. The top half of the motor is clean as can be. I can not seem to find where it's coming from. I have an appointment with the dealership next Tuesday and roadside assistance is coming on Monday to get it. My baby only has 5,800 miles on her and its a 2014. Any ideas?
Just throwing this out there.... Are you sure its engine oil and not transmission fluid? Have you checked the engine oil level and determined that this is indeed the fluid you see on the ground? Since the oil fill neck is on the passenger side, I am not sure if it cracked that the oil would make it across the engine and end up on the transmission...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely oil no doubt about it. I checked the oil level and it was about 3 quarts low. And since it was fairly new oil it was still golden in color when I saw it on top of the tranny. When I get home I'll snap a few pics and post them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm hoping it's not the oil cooler or the oil canister. Look at how much of the motor needs to come apart to get at that thing. In my past experiences when you take apart a motor like that it's never the same. We'll cross my fingers it's something stupid. What ever the outcome is I will definetly post what goes down at the dealership on Tuesday. I tried snapping pics of the oil leak but you can't realy see to much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm hoping it's not the oil cooler or the oil canister. Look at how much of the motor needs to come apart to get at that thing. In my past experiences when you take apart a motor like that it's never the same. We'll cross my fingers it's something stupid. What ever the outcome is I will definetly post what goes down at the dealership on Tuesday. I tried snapping pics of the oil leak but you can't realy see to much.
I doubt the heads need to come off, looks like just the air filter assembly and intake manifold.

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
I wouldn't worry if they have to take apart the engine, I would think just the intake manifold would need to come off anyway from looking at what whim posted.

My experience was the same regarding engine re-assembly etc... previous to my '11 Maxima. I had a new shortblock put in my 2011 Maxima, they only thing screwed up afterwards (wasn't really an issue) was that they deliberately cut the strange rubber fasteners from the plastic "underbelly" that never really stayed connected anyway. Afterward the car accelerated better and got better fuel mileage, problem was the crank bearings, so they replaced the entire short block - whole engine was disassembled, heads, exhaust manifolds and intake manifold all reused.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just got the call from the dealer and they are telling me that the oil filter housing was cracked as well as the oil filter was broken inside the housing. They blamed the shop that did the oil change. I have been using the same mechanic for years and I have never had any issues with his work untill now. Town and country Chrysler in Levittown New York is fixing the problem under warranty no questions asked. If anyone needs a dealership with a great service department in the area I recommend going there. Jim at the service counter is a pleasure to deal with. They looked at my car today and are working on it as we speak. I can pick it up tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
Glad that that was resolved for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm just hoping that I don't have this problem again. If you ask me its a poorly designed oil filter canister. For a part that gets touched more than anything else it should be made from aluminum not plastic. And that's my 2 cents!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn't blame your mechanic. The first thing I did when I bought my 200 was take off the oil filter cap and look inside since this was the first car I ever had with the oil filter on the top of the engine. I was pretty sure the whole assy was going to break off when removing the cap but it didn't. They should recall that flimsy plastic and put something more sturdy in place. In fact, it is so flimsy that if I worked a quickie oil change place I would hesitate even changing the oil filter for fear it would break and then I would get into trouble. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealership said it was caused by over tighten the oil canister cap. Just to cover my own rear end I'll be bringing the car to the dealership for every oil change from now on. If the canister breaks again it's on there dime. It's a bit out of my way, like 45 minutes out of my way but they did give me free oil changes for life as well as free state inspections for life. Lesson learned!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
DIY. I would never go to a shop for oil changes. If I had to, it would be a Chrysler dealer. The cap only takes 20 ft-lbs to tighten. That's not much. Use a torque wrench. I have a free oil change coming from my dealer. I would still rather do it in my driveway, vs. driving 30 miles and spending 90 minutes of my time.

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
As far as the mechanic... Sure it's not a typical design - I don't necessarily think it's a poor design, but if time is taken to read the procedure and not assume all cars are similar for oil changes, it should be no issue. Don't over tighten, use a torque wrench. I do my own oil changes now on mine and my wife's I take to Chrysler dealer since I still have free oil changes left - from the dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah no need to go all Hulk on that thing. Get it snug and walk away. It will come to a sudden stop when you are tightening it. The guy who works next to me really cranks down on them. I'm just waiting for the day he cracks one of those canisters.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts