Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 shops now cannot figure out why my 2011 Chrysler 200 retraceable hardtop will not close. Its stays in trunk. Motor for top is fine..

So I'm ready to give up and would just be satisficed if they could raise the top manually.

Is it possible to disconnect the hydraulics and a few people manually lift the top up into place and secure it?

At least I would have an all season car and can get my use out of it.

Any suggestions on how to manually lift the hardtop and secure it as the way it is now its virtually useless to me.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,411 Posts
There should be a manual valve on the top pump assembly.
I wonder why this isn't covered in the owners manual, unless there is a supplement on convertibles.
The problem is, it is in the trunk. The instructions say that the spare & jack have to be moved out of the way to access the pump.
Turn the valve open 2 turns (CCW) to release the pump from the system. The valve is normally closed by turning it fully CW.
Lifting the top may take 1 or 2 helpers.
It may need a Chrysler dealer who has someone familiar (trained) with these tops. You probably will have to get to a big city.

Automotive exterior Parallel Font Auto part Drawing
Rectangle Font Parallel Art Gesture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be a manual valve on the top pump assembly.
The problem is, it is in the trunk. The instructions say that the spare & jack have to be moved out of the way to access the pump.
Turn the valve open 2 turns (CCW) to release the pump from the system. The valve is normally closed by turning it fully CW.
It may need a Chrysler dealer who has someone familiar (trained) with these tops. You probably will have to get to a big city.

View attachment 59933 View attachment 59934
The first place service center I took it to was a Chrysler Dealer service center .. the largest one in the State. and they did not want nothing to do with it.

I will pass on the information you provided about the manual valve.. on the top pump assembly.

Thank you..

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I think that it is going to have to go up electrically, at least part way.
It's sad that the major dealer wanted nothing to do with it. They may not have had anyone there trained to do these.
I went to school for these back in 2007 (when it was still the Sebring). I have forgotten most of the training.
I have a ratty old 1998 Sebring JX soft top convertible, but these are very simple to work on.
These cars are 'right-sized' for me.
We didn't see many convertibles as we were a rural dealer and did farm trucks all day.
There are many more convertibles in sunny places like Florida & California.
You may want to reach out to @ChryslerCares or a district service manager and ask 'what would you do if it were your car'? I have found that is likely to give an honest answer from the heart.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You may want to reach out to @ChryslerCares or a district service manager and ask 'what would you do if it were your car'? I have found that is likely to give an honest answer from the heart.
i I did reach out to @chrylserCares and send a message - never responded well has not as of yet. Never Ever again will I get a convertible of any kind NEVER... This is a nightmare. Nice Car BTW.. (yours that is) mine I could toss in the landfill right about now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has the emergency bypass mode been tried? Since the motor is fine if this hasn't been tried it might get the top raised. Also, you might want to check out the forums on the Sebring/200 Convertible Club since they might have someone there that's had this issue: * Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Club *

Font Number Document

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has the emergency bypass mode been tried? Since the motor is fine if this hasn't been tried it might get the top raised. Also, you might want to check out the forums on the Sebring/200 Convertible Club since they might have someone there that's had this issue: * Chrysler Sebring / 200 Convertible Club *

View attachment 59943
Yes all that did was make it so the top jammed over into the passenger side decklid bracket which made it worse. The decklid does not open on one side thus even the emergency bypass mode is not going to do anything.. but thank you for suggesting.

I'm almost positive the decklid latch is not working on the drivers side.

·
Administrator
2,411 Posts
Try this to manually close the top.

The decklid latches are cable operated. Possibly the drivers side latch is sticking? Or the cable is broken?
Gesture Sleeve Font Elbow Parallel

1. Decklid latch. left or right side.
2. Cable anchor.
3. Pull cable. This pulls to unlatch the decklid. Can you get at the drivers side with a long, thin screwdriver to 'trip' the latch release link open?

Font Parallel Art Screenshot Elbow

You want to get the decklid into the 'Service Position'. The instructions call for a helper as this part is heavy. I don't want you to get hurt. Have a prop stick ready to hold the lid up. If the decklid release latches appear dry, oil them slightly. Cycle the latches (open/closed) to ensure that they are free.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Font Slope Parallel Pattern Triangle

RHT=retractable hard top.
Font Parallel Elbow Screenshot Rectangle

Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle Parallel

Slope Font Parallel Diagram Rectangle

Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Reactions: Idaho83833
1 - 10 of 10 Posts