Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having serious tire cupping problems - '15 AWD with 67000 miles bought new. At 16000 the first set was cupping badly and noisy (rotate at every oil change). Lived with the noise until tires shot at 35000. New Kumho TA71's installed by dealer and alignment. Cupping again by 20000 miles. I'm 79 yrs old and bought the car for 3 reasons: needed AWD, wanted a SEDAN not an suv, and I like the looks and features. I just drive it like ordinary transportation. Great mileage, lousy tires and ride. Diagnosed at dealer today and they say the rear toe-links are worn out, cost $1000. Doesn't explain wear and cupping when 16000 miles from brand new. Something must be wrong with the car/suspension? Tires are 235-45-18.
Have any of you had a similar problem and, if so, what suggestions do you have? What tires would you recommend? I'm desperate. If I don't get a good explanation it's bye-bye Chrysler and I like everything else about it.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
If I had to bet I would say it's your tires twice. I hate to say it but you went from bad to worse for tire brand selection - at least for this vehicle.

I have never heard anyone say anything good about Kumho's on this forum, they are noisy even more than the Bridgestones that these cars (with the 18's) came with new. I have the same size wheels/tires 235/45/18 on my 15' 200 AWD that I bought brand new. I have a little over 100K miles on it.

Another thing to check would be tire pressure (38 PSI I know sounds high) wheel alignment and wheel bearings - front wheel bearing wear out a little early on the 15+ 200 and Dodge Dart (same platform as the 200). The wheel bearings are covered under the 100K mile 5 year power-train warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
Can't stress it enough. The tires that came standard on the 200's were horrible, noisy, rode hard and didn't last.
I replaced ours with Michelin's. Expensive yes. But they have already surpassed the original tires, in terms of mileage, by 15,000 and I expect to get another 5 thousand or more before the winter sets in and I replace them. They are quiet, traction is excellent and tire noise is all but gone.

As Black Knight said, check those air pressures, and have a competent professional alignment shop inspect the settings and adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Kumho Solus tires are horrible. At least from my experience. My Ex's Dart had these on when we bought the car. The belts inside of the tire kept breaking when hitting small, not large, but small cracks or pot holes in road. None of our other tires did this. We put other brand tires on the car and haven't had issues. Cooper tires are good affordable tires for 17 inch wheels.

But in your case, having two sets of tires doing this, I would agree with Black Knight on things to look at.

·
Registered
281 Posts
As all have said....Kumhos suck! if pressures and alignment are good, its the tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have an opinion about changing from 235/45/18 to 225/50/18 tires? Would there be wheel well clearance problems?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
mefraz15awd
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing