Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been chasing after a rough idle. I did upper and lower intake manifold gaskets along with spark plugs today. But I also decided to change my oil. I put in 5W20 full synthetic oil in my last oil change and this one as well. But upon pulling out my oil filter I noticed LOTS of metal flakes. I’ve never had this before so I think there must be something going on inside the engine that is not good. I did put a can of seafoam in less than 100 miles ago to try and clean up the inside before my oil change, has anyone ever seen this? 72K miles on a 3.6 FWD non flex fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've seen other internet talk about camshaft flaking on the 3.6. Might want to remove the valve covers but that should be covered under powertrain warranty if you are under 7yr 100,000 miles. Show the filter to your local dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m out of the 7 year 70K but I have CPO that expends it I believe. I’ll see what they say. Cam shaft was my thought exactly. Thanks for the response

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
I’m out of the 7 year 70K but I have CPO that expends it I believe. I’ll see what they say. Cam shaft was my thought exactly. Thanks for the response
Your profile says you have a 2015 200C. If that is correct, then you have a 7 year, 100K mile powertrain warranty from Chrysler. If you bought used, or otherwise, that warranty carries to each and every subsequent user.
If that is metal that I see on that filter surface, then don't drive that car anymore. It could contaminating the entire engine. Take it to the dealer ... ASAP.

If you don't want to get involved with the dealer ( which would be a mistake ) you can take an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. They will tell you what is in the oil.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=lh20ez45bfpjljecoakwbf55&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https://www.blackstone-labs.net/Bstone/(S(lh20ez45bfpjljecoakwbf55))/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s what my concern is. I will contact the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. But it’s a LOT of metal. It looks like the filter is covered in glitter. At a minimum it needs something replaced, at a worse case it needs an engine. But I just had it at the dealer and they wanted $117 to diagnose the rough idle. I’m sure they would have sold me on everything I just did BEFORE it became a warranty issue. So at this point I don’t see any other possibilities. They will have to do something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well that’s a good thing. Hopefully it means it doesn’t carry a deductible either. But I will definitely get the dealer involved and Chrysler if need be. I’ve been telling them there’s an issue for a long time and they just blew it off and made me think I was crazy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How long did you drive on that oil, and what kind of filter was that? It should not be black... I use Mopar or Wix filters and change the oil every 4 months: the filters are yellow when they go in and come out light brown. Do you change the oil yourself or do you take it a quick lube place? Your problem may be caused by the cheap bulk oil and crap filters quick lube places use.
dirty filter.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long did you drive on that oil, and what kind of filter was that? It should not be black... I use Mopar or Wix filters and change the oil every 4 months: the filters are yellow when they go in and come out light brown. Do you change the oil yourself or do you take it a quick lube place? Your problem may be caused by the cheap bulk oil and crap filters quick lube places use.
View attachment 54698
I used the let the dealer change the oil but they weren’t using full but maybe semi synthetic. So after 5K intervals I had three oil changes included when I bought the car, but after those I’ve alway done it myself. I used a Fram filters with full synthetic oil that meets or exceeds Chrysler specs and have never had a problem. I go by the oil indicator in the car and usually change the oil around 30%. I do 90% highway miles, this is the first time I’ve ever had the filter come with wave (like it was sucking too hard).

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
Unless the rough idle is a worn camshaft or worse.
OK, that is a far stretch. Most times a rough idle is fuel or ignition related. Not an internal engine part that has failed. I think you would notice plenty of other indications an internal part has failed. As the OP said, he has been "chasing" that rough idle for a while.
From my experience and from the dealer's standpoint. Present a car with a rough idle and they will inspect or replace the common items first that could cause the issue. No dealer will tear apart an engine to inspect internal components for a failure first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally, I don’t know what else it could be they could cause a misfire intermittently and only on one cylinder. Especially when I have swapped ignition coils from another cylinder that had no misfires to that cylinder and it was still on number three. The misfire number is very small, but nonetheless it’s still there when every other cylinder is reading zero. Perhaps it’s a sticking rocker or something that at low RPM matters but that when the engine is shaking along at higher RPM is it noticeable 🏼

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't seen in this thread but it may have been mentioned in another... have you swapped fuel injectors? That would cause rough idles and may not be caught as an injector problem... Sorry to hear about the metal in your oil... I am a moderator at kia-forums and frequent hyundai-forums also... Their 2.4l also has had metal in the oil from an improper milling of the block... these metal flakes got into the crank and rod bearings causing catastrophic engine failure... I would suggest draining a little oil from the oil pan and inspect it for metal also... I hope the filter(s) have caught the metal BEFORE most of it was circulated in the rest of the engine...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
I had a misfire caused by a fuel injector recently. It was intermittent. Same thing, swapped coils no change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer will say what any dealer around me would. "How do we know that filter came out of your car"
That’s true, and I know I’m in for a fight more than anything. But I’ve got to try something. I love Chrysler, but I hate how service departments try and talk you out of your issues. If anything, I might have to bring my car back for its next oil change to them. But, I believe if they had done my oil change this time, they would have even looked at the filter. It would’ve just ended up in the trash.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't seen in this thread but it may have been mentioned in another... have you swapped fuel injectors? That would cause rough idles and may not be caught as an injector problem... Sorry to hear about the metal in your oil... I am a moderator at kia-forums and frequent hyundai-forums also... Their 2.4l also has had metal in the oil from an improper milling of the block... these metal flakes got into the crank and rod bearings causing catastrophic engine failure... I would suggest draining a little oil from the oil pan and inspect it for metal also... I hope the filter(s) have caught the metal BEFORE most of it was circulated in the rest of the engine...
Dave
I have not tried swapping fuel injectors, I’ve used my AlfaOBD app and monitored the fuel injectors and they are all pulsing correctly from what I can tell. But that might be the next step to try. I’m also curious if anyone has ever noticed on their V6 how much it sounds like air is sucking over by the throttle? I just checked two other 3.6L motors ( One Pacifica and one ram classic) and they’re quiet as can be. It sounds like a gigantic vacuum leak, but I can’t find anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay the dealer is putting me in a loaner car and thinks it’s a cam shaft that’s causing the shavings. So hopefully that takes care of both of my issues. I’ll let everyone know what goes on. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
275 Posts
YOu can go to most automotive parts dealers and get an oil test kit. YOu put a sample in the provided container and send it away, the test will tell what the metal is and what it is from.

It's not a bad idea to do this whenever you want to know the health of the internal parts of your engine.

The test will also tell you if you are changing your oil more than you need, or not enough.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
11 Participants
New2Chrysler2015
Chrysler 200 Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Chrysler 200 owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about reviews, maintenance, upgrades, and more!
Full Forum Listing