Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
You used Fram filters, cheap bulk oil, and Seafoam oil treatment and are now surprised that the engine is wearing? Those are some of the worst things you could ever do to an engine! Never use FRAM filters for anything, they have been cheap crap since the 80's.
Also, the metal granules (not flakes) looks like aluminum not steel--likely crud dislodged from the piston ring area by the Seafoam... If you use good quality oil there is no reason to ever dump that stuff in an engine, all it does is dilute the already thin (5w-20) oil and cause accelerated wear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You used Fram filters, cheap bulk oil, and Seafoam oil treatment and are now surprised that the engine is wearing? Those are some of the worst things you could ever do to an engine! Never use FRAM filters for anything, they have been cheap crap since the 80's.
Also, the metal granules (not flakes) looks like aluminum not steel--likely crud dislodged from the piston ring area by the Seafoam... If you use good quality oil there is no reason to ever dump that stuff in an engine, all it does is dilute the already thin (5w-20) oil and cause accelerated wear.
Well I have vehicles that I’ve owned well over 100K I’ve never had problems with FRAM filters. I prefer to use Mopar but not a lot of places carry them anymore. As for oil I don’t use cheap oil. The dealer could have used bulk oil but I would assume it was still API appropriate and meets Chrysler standards for the 3.6. I also used full synthetic after they stopped changing it that meets or exceeded Chrysler’s standardized as well. (No I don’t use royal purple or amsoil, sorry)

If you want to get technical on the dimensions of the metal particles in the filter I didn’t realize the description of them would matter that much. I also used a few ounces of seafoam to help keep the lifters moving well since the last two Chrysler vehicles I’ve owned have ended up with sticky lifters later in life. But being that the cam issue is a known one I don’t think this is something 5oz of seafoam could cause.

but I’m sure regular oil changes and following a maintenance schedule along with 5oz of seafoam ruined my engine. LOL I’ll call the dealer and let them know it’s not a warranty issue, thanks for the (professional) input.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Well I have vehicles that I’ve owned well over 100K I’ve never had problems with FRAM filters.
FRAM filters are pre-clogged, there is a such thing as too much filter material. I would never use them again (used them once or twice in the 80's when I was a teenager), however I don't think using Fram filters had anything to do with your issue. Neither did using Seafoam - pretty sure Seafoam did absolutely nothing - good or bad.

I wouldn't buy Royal Purple either and never tried Amsoil both seem un-necessarily pricey. I do use full synthetic oil that meets/exceeds MS-6395 standard.

Sounds like you are being taken care of by the dealer, that's good to hear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have used Fram filters for nearly 40 years in about 8 different cars, have driven over 850K miles, over half of those with Fram filters. Never ever had a single engine problem. 92 Daytona went 308K miles, ran like new when it finally rusted out. Engine never apart. 93 Daytona went 257K miles, ran like new when it finally rusted out. Similar experience in other cars with 2.5L, 3.9L truck, 2.2L turbo, etc. Are they low end? Probably. I used mostly the Tough Guard or Extra Guard. But to suggest that they WILL ruin an engine is just ignorant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I did spend a little bit of my morning doing some research on Fram filters, and I could definitely see why people think that they are substandard. I personally didn’t see that much of a difference between the cartridge filter I bought last time (Magneti Marelli) and the Fram one. But, I could definitely see with the steel filters where they cheapen up and are able to hide the quality issues. From this point on, I will definitely make sure to just get a filter from the dealer, just for peace of mind. But, I don’t believe that anything to do with what’s going on with my engine at this point.

Like you, unless the oil meets the MS-6395 standard it doesn’t go in my engine. I think with a lot of oils, you’re just buying the name, but if it meets Chrysler’s specifications, it’s good enough to go with the engine.

Still waiting to hear back from the dealership on what’s going on. But, I am pleasantly surprised that for once they are not just giving me the runaround. I will post the outcome once I have it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a great video that gives the general consensus of Fram filters. Go online to MoparOverstock, Steve White Motors, or even Rock Auto and buy six quality filters at a time instead of using Fram garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
Entertainment value only. Nothing scientific in that at all. Taking apart one filter unwitnessed and eyeballing it is useless. Use actual data, like I did. Over 200 oil changes with Fram filters in 8 different cars over a 40-yr span, 800K miles with zero problems. That's a valid study.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree on not using FRAM products... Cardboard instead of steel...poor bypass valves...less pleated filter material...sloppy manufacturing...
Sure the "racing versions" of FRAM are made well...but... consumer filters are junk....

Just because someone has always used a product for years and years doesn't make it a good product... My parents drove GM cars but today they are substandard compared to Toyota, Honda and Korean (KIA/Hyundai)... Look at a Chevy that is 5~7 years old ...rocker panels gone... (like Chrysler's PT Crusers)...

The best cars I have driven have been KIAs and Hyundais... With just minor maintenance I have had NO problems with them... Honda which was the STANDARD has cheapened their cars for better profit...

What WAS... isn't always the best product today.... Search the web for comparisons between FRAM and other filters... I use OEM filters in my KIA/Hyundais and will either use OEM or WIX filters in my Chrysler 200s and 2006 Jeep Liberty ...

I hope the OP does get his 200 repaired in warranty...It sounds like the dealer made a 180 degree change on warranty and may help him...to which I say Bravo!
Dave
Time will tell if my purchase of my "new" FIAT/Chrysler was a good one...I hope so...

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 1985 VW GTI had 5,000 miles on it when a cheap ass Fram filter disintegrated and clogged up the main oil passages. VW replaced the engine under warranty and I drove it another 325,000 miles with Wix filters..keep on rolling the dice with Fram crap, and hope it doesn't bite you in the ass...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here is a great video that gives the general consensus of Fram filters. Go online to MoparOverstock, Steve White Motors, or even Rock Auto and buy six quality filters at a time instead of using Fram garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I
That was one of the ones I watched. I guess I have to consider myself lucky I never had one cause any issues. Not scientific, but still enough proof that they’re not offering enough protection.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 filters. They don't distort and are good for 20,000mi. I change oil every spring, usually 10 - 15k mi. Good synthetic oil is good for at least that mileage and that extended protection is what your paying for.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Entertainment value only. Nothing scientific in that at all. Taking apart one filter unwitnessed and eyeballing it is useless. Use actual data, like I did. Over 200 oil changes with Fram filters in 8 different cars over a 40-yr span, 800K miles with zero problems. That's a valid study.
I have known people that have smoked and lived into their 90's and didn't get lung cancer - but smoking is still proven to be bad to your health and can cause lung cancer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's one data point against my 200 data points. Not valid.
Lately I have been using Mopar filters just because Walmart now carries them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well I just picked the car up with nothing done as far as repairs. Someone called it in an earlier post saying “how will they believe it’s from your car”. Well I can understand that, so I have to go in there for my next oil service. I told them that if a line tech had been doing my oil service this NEVER would have been caught, because he’d have just thrown the old filter away and slapped a new one in. Besides the fact a dealer Cannot upsell warranty work, so even if they DID see it, they couldn’t address it till I complain. Such a messed up system that benefits only the manufacturer. Now I’m reminded why I got out of dealerships. LOL. But I’ll update in 5K when I go back to the dealer. Thanks again for all your input and responses.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts