Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have 2015 200s fwd with a 3.6l. I am experiencing a strange sound that I can not pin down. At low speeds, specifically 5-7 mpg, there's is a sound like two wrenches tapping together. The sound comes in 2 or 3 times per wheel revolution at the 5-7 mph speed then goes away as speed is increased. Seems to be coming from front passenger side. This is driving in a straight line, not turning.

I dont believe this sound is transmission related as I had the transmission replaced and this was happening before that.
Also I had the tpms sensor replaced since the tire tech thought it was loose in the wheel (my tpms light came on with normal tire pressure).

Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
272 Posts
Something loose at or inside the wheel? I have had loose wheel weights flop around behind the spokes until the centrifugal force of an increased speed held it tight.
Are the lug nuts torqued?
You could try a slow drive-by going past a helper in a quiet parking lot for diagnostics?
P.S. - I just noticed this question has been posted twice with a reply to each. Please avoid that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After further investigation the sound seems to be coming from the REAR passenger side.
As this car is fwd that would just narrow it down to wheels and brakes correct?
I did not feel any loose wheel weights or loose brake components.
Could there be something in the electronic ebrake motor on that wheel making the sound?

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
272 Posts
By your description, it sounds like something that rotates with the wheel/brake rotor. If you jack the RR wheel off the ground, can you spin it by hand to get the noise?

·
Registered
777 Posts
After further investigation the sound seems to be coming from the REAR passenger side.
As this car is fwd that would just narrow it down to wheels and brakes correct?
I did not feel any loose wheel weights or loose brake components.
Could there be something in the electronic ebrake motor on that wheel making the sound?
The electric e brake is on the drivers side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts