Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2015 200 4 cyl that has about 170K miles on it. My wife is in sales. Came home missing scanned it & misfire cyl 3. Replaced the plug & the coil pack & need to do the others as well. It cleared up but started missing again. She can put fuel cleaner in it & it will clear up. Weirdest thing ever. I have tried to find a fuel filter for haven't had any luck what so ever. Beginning to wonder if Chrysler feels that the strainers in the tank on the pump is enough a filter. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on this. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was at the dealer a few months back and told them to replace the fuel filter. The mechanic looked at me like I had two heads and said,, sir the car does not have a fuel filter. Hope that helps. As far as a misfire your doing the same thing I would do. Plugs, coils. My vehicle has 66000 on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have 170k miles on the injectors and they are constantly in contact with gas... Your injectors DO get buildup of what looks like varnish that can block the holes in the injector's nozzles... A good cleaner for injectors that doesn't damage the fuel system is Chevron Tecron... A couple of cans over the next couple of fill ups may help... You could check the #3 injector by moving it to another location (like #2 or #4)...If the code moves with the bad injector then it needs to be cleaned or replaced... If that doesn't solve your problem(s) then I would suggest having the compression checked on all 4 cylinders as you may have low compression from the many miles.... The good thing about the 2.4L chrysler engine is there are many in the salvage yards with low mileage for under $500 and the transmissions are going for under $400... So a transplant of a "new" drive train (if needed) by a local mechanic can pump new life into your 200 for many more miles... check out "car-part.com" in your local area...
Dave

·
Registered
345 Posts
Like daves200s said, prob a clogged injector or a burnt valve. If compression is ok I'd do like Dave said w the system cleaner. And w 170000mi, If you plan on running it longer, even w a replacement engine, I'd change the fuel pump assembly because it's time. Yes the screen is prob pooped up and doesn't have much life left.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct spark plug?
The 2.4L came with either CA or Federal emissions. The CA (PZEV engine) takes platinum plugs that last 100K miles. The non-PZEV engine takes regular copper plugs that require replacement every 32K miles. My 2011 is the latter, and when I bought it at 96K miles, it had a misfire on the highway, caused by *original* copper plugs that had burned open to a gap greater than .070 inches. Changing the plug (and using the correct one), fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct spark plug?
The 2.4L came with either CA or Federal emissions. The CA (PZEV engine) takes platinum plugs that last 100K miles. The non-PZEV engine takes regular copper plugs that require replacement every 32K miles. My 2011 is the latter, and when I bought it at 96K miles, it had a misfire on the highway, caused by *original* copper plugs that had burned open to a gap greater than .070 inches. Changing the plug (and using the correct one), fixed it.
I could be mistaken, but the 2.4 Multi-air PZEV engine was the only 2.4 engine available in 2015 in the 200's.
Someone putting in the wrong spark plugs is certainty a possibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a misfires on my 2016 200 2.4, since you changed one is just change them all the, but could also be the fuel injectors

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just about determined its a injector. I can't find any videos or anything on how to change the injectors. Also When you go to Advance or O'reilly's websites they show 2 different motors for the 2.4 & I can't for the life of me figure out which one is which by our VIN#. How do you determine which one it is or if it is a PZEV car? No one seems to stock any parts for these things hardly. Only parts store locally that stocks any of the coil packs is Oreillys & they usually only have 1 & no one around here stocks injectors. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Just about determined its a injector. I can't find any videos or anything on how to change the injectors. Also When you go to Advance or O'reilly's websites they show 2 different motors for the 2.4 & I can't for the life of me figure out which one is which by our VIN#. How do you determine which one it is or if it is a PZEV car? No one seems to stock any parts for these things hardly. Only parts store locally that stocks any of the coil packs is Oreillys & they usually only have 1 & no one around here stocks injectors. Thanks again
Unless your vehicle was in an accident and under-hood area was affected, then you have a white sticker, someplace in the engine compartment, that identifies your engine.
For the injectors, try Rock Auto. They have several brands to choose from and they ship quickly.
One of our site sponsors, Carid, also lists fuel injectors on their web site.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The PZEV (EDG code) engine will have a sticker underhood that says that it is. The non-PZEV engine (ED3 code) does not have a sticker.
Did you change the rest of the plugs yet? The PZEV engine takes platinum plugs every 104K miles - NGK plug ZFR5AP. The non-PZEV engine takes copper plugs every 32K miles - NKG plug 2262, also known as ZFR5F-11. Which spark plugs were in yours? What condition were they in, and when had they last been replaced?
How did you verify that an injector is bad?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a new set of injectors & yes Rock Auto is great a source. I bought the NGK plugs for it as well earlier. I haven't any info on changing the injectors out but I cant believe that they would be to involved since it looks pretty easy to get to. Also the fuel pump I can't find anything on either. I assume it can accessed through the back seat or trunk area without dropping the tank. May replace it soon anyways because of the miles on it. Really appreciate all the info & help.

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
I ordered a new set of injectors & yes Rock Auto is great a source. I bought the NGK plugs for it as well earlier. I haven't any info on changing the injectors out but I cant believe that they would be to involved since it looks pretty easy to get to. Also the fuel pump I can't find anything on either. I assume it can accessed through the back seat or trunk area without dropping the tank. May replace it soon anyways because of the miles on it. Really appreciate all the info & help.
Glad you found a good supply source for the injectors.
Check "youtube" for instructions on replacing the injectors.

In my opinion, leave the fuel pump/filter alone. They are expensive and ( I believe ) require dropping the fuel tank and exhaust system to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the injectors installed last night. Upon startup it wasn't any better & actually worse. Figured that there may be some air in the system so I drove & to town. Missing, bucking, almost stalling the whole way. Stopped at the bank to pull the codes & all I had were a p1067 & p1062. All I can find on those codes are generic deals for a map sensor. After leaving the bank it cleared up & drove it for several miles in traffic & up to speed as well no problems. My wife gets in it this morning for work & its doing the same thing. She topped it off with prem. fuel & said it stopped. Any ideas? Sorry to be pain but honestly can't find much info on these cars on the web. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Got the injectors installed last night. Upon startup it wasn't any better & actually worse. Figured that there may be some air in the system so I drove & to town. Missing, bucking, almost stalling the whole way. Stopped at the bank to pull the codes & all I had were a p1067 & p1062. All I can find on those codes are generic deals for a map sensor. After leaving the bank it cleared up & drove it for several miles in traffic & up to speed as well no problems. My wife gets in it this morning for work & its doing the same thing. She topped it off with prem. fuel & said it stopped. Any ideas? Sorry to be pain but honestly can't find much info on these cars on the web. Thanks again
Time to start looking for frayed, broken and or damaged wires. ( to any sensor or electrical fitting under the hood )
I read it could possibly be something with the multi-air system, or cooling sensor associated.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean multi-air system? Would that include the MAP sensor? Going to start looking again in the morning. Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts