Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to share my long story on how I leftout the SafetyTec Group package and then deeply regretted it after. I knew I wanted a new 200C the moment I saw it at the auto show in Toronto back in February 2014. A few months later in May the new 200 finally arrived at dealerships near me and I test drove one and I was sold.

I decided to buy at that point since Chrysler had 0%purchase financing for 36 months available and at that time it was supposed toexpire on May 31st. I didn’t really know exactly what color or options I wanted yet however I wanted to place an order before the 0% financing offer expired and I thought I could make changes to my factory order weeks later. I placed a factory order for a 200C in black, with the V6 engine, sun & sound group, premium light group, 19 inch wheels, and navigation. I only really wanted the blindspot monitoring so I couldn’t justify the extra $1,995 SafetyTec Group for just that. My final price including tax was $38,108 which was already making me nervous since I was trying to keep the cost down. After I had a week or so to digest the fact that I was going to be spending about $40K on a new car I did some more research on the SafetyTec Group and I realized how amazing the adaptive cruise control with stop & go is. Ten days after placing my factory order I called my dealer and asked to add the SafetyTec Group to my order and I was told it was already too late to make changes since my order was finalized. I was furious with myself at this point and the fact that my factory order was finalized so fast. I was told if I wanted to place a new factory order I would have to pay an extra $2,000 penalty on top of the extra package to cover their cost in having the extra car sitting on their lot so I decided not to bother with it and I took delivery of the car as I originally ordered it.

I took delivery of my car in July and from the day I got it I couldn’t stop thinking about how much more I would have loved my car if it had the SafetyTec Group. I became obsessed with this and I couldn't sleep at night. In late August the $3,000 Chrysler rebate launched so I shopped around at different dealers and I decided to place another factory order for the same car but with the SafetyTec Group as well. All the dealers I went to couldn’t understand why I wanted to trade in a brand new car I just got a month ago and thought my car was in an accident or something. I couldn’t believe I was even considering doing this myself. It was going tocost me $5,300 extra for the difference between the two cars and I was still getting 0% financing. This time my factory order took 4 months for my car to arrive which was actually better for me since I got to drive my car for 5 months before trading it in. Then I got a very disturbing call from my dealer saying that since my car took more than 90 days to arrive I couldn’t get 0% financing anymore and that it would be 3.99%. I was furious and spoke with the manager asking why they can’t do 0% financing when my contract I signed states that I have this. I was told that after 90 days I am no longer rate protected and if the rates change I have the option of walking away from the deal. The manager then offered me an extra $500 credit if I paid cash. At this point I was so tired of all the negotiating and stress from all of this I couldn’t stand the thought of placing another order at another dealer and going through all of this again so I took him up on his offer and agreed on a cash purchase difference of $4,800 between the two cars. I then had to pay off my remaining lean on my first 200C from July making my new 200C a grand total cost of$42,900 in cash withdrawn from my bank.

I learned a huge expensive lesson about factory ordering a car. My lesson learned is to always assume once you place a factory order it cannot be changed so make sure to order all the options you want and to make sure if the factory order takes longer than 90 days that the 0% financing is still rate protected. In the end I paid an extra $2,900 above what I would havepaid if I had originally ordered my car with the SafetyTec option and I also lost the 0% financing. For that $2,900 I at least got to drive a new 200C for 5months which works out to just under $600 per month in depreciation. I just took delivery of my second new 200C now with the SafetyTec Group and I absolutely love my car! After all that I wentthrough to get this option I am using the features every day and it is my favorite option in the car. I drive to downtown Toronto every day for work and the adaptive cruise control works amazing well in stop and go traffic. I know a lot of you probably think I am crazy for doing what I did including myself however I want to be completely happy with my car since I plan on keeping it for 8-10 years. Please feel free to leave comments on your opinions. Don’t make the same mistake I did, if you like the SafetyTec Group get it!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I couldn't find one near me with it and didn't want to wait to order one. I found one with everything else I wanted except the Safety tech stuff. Seat belts and airbags are safety tech enough for this old dog..lol

Glad you can sleep now..

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Well, if it can ease your pain, my first 200 wasn't working very well (documented in other posts) and I too had trouble sleeping for a while just thinking I paid 34k$ for a new car that wasn't starting in the morning and at the end of the day.

I ended up making the same decision as you, I traded it and I ended up losing 6k$. I paid 40k$ for a 34k$ car but you know what, even though I will be upside down for 5 years before the car's value is equal to what I owe on it, I think I made the best decision as I am now very happy with my car and it works as advertised.

Sometimes I get frustrated when I read here that people are buying the exact same car that I have for 12k$ less than what I ended paying for it but still, I'm happy and that is what is important to me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think your dealer screwed you over, but not sure how often you bought cars from this dealership. Being the new 200 is very well liked and selling well, he should have agreed to take delivery of your car and keep it himself and waving the $2,000 penalty he would impose on you.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yea, I really like my car, but have wondered and thought about how I too should have gotten the safety tec. as well. I've noticed there are some really good incentives out there, but am just sticking with what I got. I'm still not that comfortable with letting a computer take charge like these do. I want to see how they work 8 to 10 years down the road before I buy into them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yea, I really like my car, but have wondered and thought about how I too should have gotten the safety tec. as well. I've noticed there are some really good incentives out there, but am just sticking with what I got. I'm still not that comfortable with letting a computer take charge like these do. I want to see how they work 8 to 10 years down the road before I buy into them.
What bothers me most is the spot on the wheel and dash where all those buttons would go. lol...Feel like I got gypped ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yea, that's pretty insane. Not sure how it's on the 200, but in the Optima, I find that blind spot gizmo doesn't work too well during darker hours.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wanted premium and safety package, but no sun roof or wheels in blue. I didn't want to wait to order because they were giving me, what I thought was a good deal on a 32k car that was in the showroom. I'm happy with what I bought, even though the lease costs me $280/39mo. and 3k down. Sure, I sometimes think about the safetytek and all that, but at the end of the day, what's done is done and there is no reason for me to worry or be upset about it. Of course, it might be different for those that buy considering they will keep the car longer than I will.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I say if your thinking about buying a 200 and thinking about getting the safetytech package, definitely go test drive one at the dealership. The ACC is the main reason I got mine and love it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Safety-tec package is my favorite thing on my 200. I love the adaptive cruise control, especially. I wanted a red 200C with the options packages but without 19" wheels and sunroof. My local dealer was willing to order one, but I didn't want to wait. I found one at a dealer 2 1/2 hours away. I negotiated to buy the car over the phone, and my wife and I made the long drive to pick it up. We love the car and are glad we searched to find exactly the car we wanted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got this car for my dad and I too regret not getting a 200 with SafetyTec, because as he gets even older, technology like this can be really helpful and put my mind at ease as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts