Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2011 Chrysler 200 Touring brand new in 2011.

Back then, I drove 35K miles/year minimum. When the dealership tried to sell the 100K warrantee to me, I laughed.

A few months later, Chrysler called me. They tried to sell me the 100K warrantee too. I told them that I would blow through the 100K mile warrantee in less than 3 years.

Then, they offered me the unlimited mileage, unlimited time warrantee. I asked them to send me the details. I read the entire warrantee. It seemed too good to be true. I went to the service manager to ask him about the "Max Care" warrantee. He told me... yes, it actually covers everything except tires, brake pads, brake rotors, and the serpentine belt.

Holy crap! It cost $4400, but Chrysler let me pay for it with zero interest over 24 months!!!

and the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The only hitch in the warrantee...

If a single repair costs more than the NADA Retail value of the car... Chrysler will write a check for the NADA Retail value of the car. I can still keep the car, but they won't repair it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So....

When I first bought my car in 2011, I was driving 35K miles per year. Shortly after I bought the car, I started working from home.

Now... in 2020, the car has about 150K miles.

Recently, I noticed that the engine gets hotter than normal when I am driving on the highway at 70MPH.

So... I took it to the dealership for a repair.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So....

When I first bought my car in 2011, I was driving 35K miles per year. Shortly after I bought the car, I started working from home.

Recently, I noticed that the engine gets hotter than normal when I am driving on the highway at 70MPH.

So....

I connected my scan tool to find out the actual engine temp on the highway. The engine never went above 240F.

I added about a quart of coolant per week, so obviously there was a leak.

The dealership determined that it is a head gasket leak.

At first, it was only a head gasket. But the dealership recommended replacing the entire head! I thought this was overkill.

Now, Chrysler (the warrantee company) wants to replace the entire engine!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The NADA value of the car is approx $4k.

Replacing the entire engine is probably going to exceed the NADA value.

I prefer for them to just replace the head gasket. I am not a happy camper.

What do you think?

·
Registered
109 Posts
At 150K miles, just replacing the head gasket may open a can of worms.
If coolant has been dumping into a cylinder instead of dripping on the ground, it may have pitted the aluminum engine gasket-mating surfaces (especially if the coolant had become acidic). It could also have washed the cylinder walls and damaged the rings. The leaking cylinder will be the one with the clean piston top.
If it comes apart for diagnosis, that is the only way to do a true repair estimate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 150K miles, just replacing the head gasket may open a can of worms.
If coolant has been dumping into a cylinder instead of dripping on the ground, it may have pitted the aluminum engine gasket-mating surfaces (especially if the coolant had become acidic). It could also have washed the cylinder walls and damaged the rings. The leaking cylinder will be the one with the clean piston top.
If it comes apart for diagnosis, that is the only way to do a true repair estimate.
The coolant leak started just a month or two ago. I doubt that the cylinder is pitted at this point.

The coolant has been replaced twice since the car was new, so I don't think it was acidic.

I have been working on cars since I was old enough to crawl over the grill. I don't think the whole head needs to be replaced... nor do I think the whole engine needs to be replaced.

The dealership wants to replace the head because they claim that the tolerances are too tight to plane (mill) the head. I understand that... but I have replaced plenty of head gaskets without milling/planing the head. As long as the head is not warped... planing/milling is not necessary.

Replacing the whole block is unbelievable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just replacing the head gasket may open a can of worms.
Speaking about a can of worms...

Installing a brand new head on an engine block that has 150000 miles can open a can of worms. The brand new valves in the head can cause oil to be pulled up past the rings on the worn cylinders... thereby causing lots of oil to be burned.

I have seen this happen in my past experience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's better to simply replace the head gasket... unless the head is warped.

If installing a new head is necessary... then the whole engine should be rebuilt/replaced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No engine machining allowed for warranty repairs. However, the gasket surfaces would have to be prepped before reassembly.
The only other thing I can think of would be paying the diagnostic fee and getting a 2nd opinion at another dealership.
Hopefully in your favor.
A direct conversation with the service manager or district service representative may have them agree to just install a head gasket, but they may also stipulate that the work would not be guaranteed.
It could be seen as kind of like going against the doctor's orders?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So....

I have 2012 200 with about 147k miles and my engine light will come on periodically so I went to advanced auto the code was P0456 I noticed my car runs very sluggish and I get a faster smell once in a while and when I turn my heater on I smell a lot of fumes in my car....what help can you offer

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forums. P0456 is a small evaporative emissions leak (fuel vapor containment, charcoal canister, gas cap, etc).
It generally won't affect drivability and may not be related. Check for any leaks.
There should be a rubber sealing weatherstrip between the hood and where the HVAC takes in fresh air at the cowl. If this seal is damaged or missing, you may get engine compartment fumes entering the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I fail to see the nightmare in this scenario. If warranty wants to put a new engine in your car at 150,000 miles then you are really blessed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts