Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed LED bulbs in my 2012 200 Limited and it's experiencing the flicker issue alot of people are having (lights turning completely off and back on while driving and idling). Is there a solid fix for the issue or is it worth ditching the LED's for HID's? I've read about canbus resistors and relays to make the LED's work but people seem to have success and failures with both methods and I'm wondering if i should even bother with it. I read a few posts regarding the newer model 200's and I already know HID's are the preferred headlight for those, but I'm trying to avoid sending the current bulbs back if it's possible to just make them work. But if i need to return and refund I will.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
500 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Adding a different lamp than what the car came with can be a problem. The TIPM is looking for the current load from an incandescent, LED or HID lamp. If the load falls outside the expected range of what the TIPM is looking for, it can set faults and go into protection (turn the lamp off to protect the circuit).
You can try to add resistors, etc to try and match the lamp load to the TIPM. Some people have success and some don't.
Is the TIPM setting a code? It may need a capable scan tool for this:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. Adding a different lamp than what the car came with can be a problem. The TIPM is looking for the current load from an incandescent, LED or HID lamp. If the load falls outside the expected range of what the TIPM is looking for, it can set faults and go into protection (turn the lamp off to protect the circuit).
You can try to add resistors, etc to try and match the lamp load to the TIPM. Some people have success and some don't.
Is the TIPM setting a code? It may need a capable scan tool for this:
So I purchased a set of Canbus Decoders and it seems to have fixed the issue (both the constant flicker and intermittent turning off of the headlights). My only concern with the decoders is they're generating a good amount of extra heat on top of the decoders that come standard with the bulbs and I'm unsure of where to mount the new decoders. I don't want to put them in the headlight housing and potentially create a fire hazard. Standard operating temp for them is roughly 85C (185F).

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
500 Posts
What does the manufacturer suggest for mounting? Is there a heatsink surface to dissipate heat into a large mass, like being bolted onto a frame rail, etc?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts