Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the keys for my Chrysler 200 picked up legs and ran off. The Part number on the back is:

04589342AD

It is 4 button plus red panic

Any idea where I can get less expensive than the dealer?

What would the process be once I find one? Can any locksmith cut? What about programming ?

Thanks Dorothy

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I haven't looked into it for the new stuff, but IIRC my Jeep was just holding the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time for 30 seconds or so to get them to bind/rebind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought an extra key on e-Bay for around $45, and had it cut at Lowe's for free.
There are detailed instructions for programming it in your owners' manual. The trouble you may run into is, I'm pretty sure you need both original keys to be able to program it yourself. If so, you can take it to the dealer and have them program it, and you'll still come out about a hundred bucks ahead.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-12-OEM-CHRYSLER-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KEY-FOB-UNCUT-BLANK-E7-/320922065140?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab87218f4

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought an extra key on e-Bay for around $45, and had it cut at Lowe's for free.
There are detailed instructions for programming it in your owners' manual. The trouble you may run into is, I'm pretty sure you need both original keys to be able to program it yourself. If so, you can take it to the dealer and have them program it, and you'll still come out about a hundred bucks ahead.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-12-OEM-CHRYSLER-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-KEY-FOB-UNCUT-BLANK-E7-/320922065140?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab87218f4
Mine is different it is 4 button plus panic this isn't :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I read you cannot program it yourself without having two key/remotes. I have the same issue that I only have one key. You can get a good deal on ebay and them have the dealership cut and program the key. You will save quite a bit purchasing from eBay

·
Registered
306 Posts
Dealer will up the price to programme the key if you don't get the key from them, so in the end you have more hassle without much savings.

I asked about a third key fob at the dealer, they told me $350-400. I ended up cheapening out and going with this sentry key/smartkey that the dealer offered. It has no fob but you can unlock the door and start the ignition for $75. After three attempts in failing to programme it properly I took it back to the dealer. I'd unlock the door with it, and immediately the alarm would go off. Not a nice feature when I'm out camping! I just like to have two keys on me when I travel, and a spare at home. I keep one original key as a spare, mainly to use to cut keys down the road if I ever need one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brothers wife took his GM van to walmart to get a key made..it was a programmable key just like the ones on our Chrysler 200.. she tried the key in the door it unlocked and put the key in the ignition and car would not run..when she went back in and gave them the key back.. Her original key would not even unlock the doors..finally when she got the door open the van would not run with the original key...so the van had to be towed to the dealer at a cost of 375.00 2 keys were made and programed and the van is fine.. I bought my 2013 200 in June and the dealer told me be very carefull with those keys.. Only the dealer can make copies to work in your car at 250.00 dollars each !! I think all these new cars have theft protection.. My mint condition 1996 Olds was STOLEN ..and if I ever catch him... !!! I refuse to answer that question on the grounds it may incriminate me..

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
To have a non-dealer program the new key fob they will need the vehicle key code(s). Be sure you have this info with you. Key codes are provided to the original owner in the owner information packets (usually in the glove box at time of sale).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a used 2013 Chrysler 200 with only 7200 miles on it. So far I love it, but the dealer only had one key. I called a Chrysler dealer and got the same story as Dandee, that the car would start, shut off after a few seconds, then totally lock me out that I would need towed to the dealer etc... Is this true or is the dealer selling me a line of crap to get me to buy the $200 key in lieu of the $70 key from the hardware store?

·
Registered
42 Posts
dont even try any other key.. dont let anyone program your key except the dealer... then your origional key might not work..then you have no car till its fixed... thats so it cant be stolen as easy...
although it can still be stolen... but not by just anyone. !! it takes more hightech to drive off with the newer cars.. but they still can tow it !..if you just bought the car the dealer should have gave you
another programed key !...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought my 2013 200 new and it did come with a barcode to program another key...
if you have that you can get another key with out taking it to the dealer...
just be really carefull who does this... everyone and thier grand mother cant program some of the new keys...and if its not done right the first time the car can shut down and have to be towed to the dealer or the dealer can come fix it..I have been there done that.. WALMART WAS VERY NICE.. THEY PAYED TO HAVE THE DEALER FIX THE VAN.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
dont even try any other key.. dont let anyone program your key except the dealer... then your origional key might not work..then you have no car till its fixed... thats so it cant be stolen as easy...
although it can still be stolen... but not by just anyone. !! it takes more hightech to drive off with the newer cars.. but they still can tow it !..if you just bought the car the dealer should have gave you
another programed key !...
Ah, I bought it used, from a Nissan dealer. 7200 miles, no owners manual and one key...that sucked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can find replacement fobs on Ebay for MUCH cheaper than what the dealer or a Locksmith charges (****, there's a 6-pack for $76 now). This is true whether you have the Keyless go system or the FOBIK "fake key" system. However, you cannot program the fob to the vehicle yourself. You'll need to take all fobs into the dealer or Locksmith and they will re-learn them to the system. For that they will probably charge you an hour's worth of labor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts