Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys new to the forms, I had a jeep Cherokee limited and saw the 200 and had to have it!
Have a 200c with V6, premium package navi and sound and premium lighting group. I have already swapped out all interior map and dome lights trunk light and license plate lights to led. image(5).jpeg image(4).jpeg image(6).jpeg image(7).jpeg image(8).jpeg

What I will be doing next weekend is tapping into the led foot well lights on the driver and passenger side and installing cool white led lights running down the full length of the car, so when you unlock the car or open the door the lights fade on with all the interior lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a 2015 Limited on wednesday, was going to get the exact car you have but decided a lower payment was probably a better idea than not. Regardless, I ordered all the same lights as you had this weekend and they will be put in this friday as well as new pioneer 6x9" in the front and rear and 3.5" in the dash. Likely will add an amp and 8" sub in the cutout on the rear deck in a week or two.

BTW, premium lighting group is code for LED's and not standard 12V bulbs as well as the light pipe in the headlights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered a similar vehicle. I got a fully-loaded 200c with all black interior. One of the packages is the Premium Group. That is where this gold and wood trim comes from that is in your vehicle. This is the first time I have seen it with the all black rather than two toned. What do you think about the gold trim on the black? I was nervous it would not look good... and my ordered vehicle should be here any day so I get more nervous each day!

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
For both the dome light and the map lights in front you'll have to take the console out. They are hinged on one side with metal clips on the other. The hinges are facing the outside for each one. (Dome light hinge faces back window). Give it a good pull on the clip side and disconnect the wiring harness. Also, don't buy those off amazon. Go on ebay and find some 5 smd led bulbs. You can get 10 for 5 bucks and they are just the right amount of brightness without looking "ricey". I have done all the leds in my car and they look great and more importantly they look factory.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
For both the dome light and the map lights in front you'll have to take the console out. They are hinged on one side with metal clips on the other. The hinges are facing the outside for each one. (Dome light hinge faces back window). Give it a good pull on the clip side and disconnect the wiring harness. Also, don't buy those off amazon. Go on ebay and find some 5 smd led bulbs. You can get 10 for 5 bucks and they are just the right amount of brightness without looking "ricey". I have done all the leds in my car and they look great and more importantly they look factory.
Video on how to do it could be useful to many here...Just saying.

·
Registered
439 Posts
So today I swapped out the map lights for LED bulbs, and something happened that has never happened to me in any car before. The upper console starting smoking and I smelled plastic burning. I immediately unplugged the harness and got the bulb out. It still works, and the regular map light bulbs work when the doors open. However, when I push either button to turn them on individually, they don't turn on. Any ideas? They were standard replacement w5w LED bulbs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So today I swapped out the map lights for LED bulbs, and something happened that has never happened to me in any car before. The upper console starting smoking and I smelled plastic burning. I immediately unplugged the harness and got the bulb out. It still works, and the regular map light bulbs work when the doors open. However, when I push either button to turn them on individually, they don't turn on. Any ideas? They were standard replacement w5w LED bulbs.

Sounds like a short caused the switches to burn. You might need a new map console.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sounds like a short caused the switches to burn. You might need a new map console.
Yea I just don't understand it. I think the LEDs were bad. Today I used a different set that I had in my garage and they work fine. And, as most LEDs do, they stay dimly lit when I shut them off, but when I press the switches they turn on bright. Press the switches again they go back to dim. Something definitely shorted. But I don't ever use the map lights that way. As long as they turn on and off when getting in and out, I'm fine and will just leave it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Premium Lighting Group is the option you need to add in order to have 3 things:

1. LED bar as the Daytime Running Lights (otherwise only on with lights)
2. HID headlights (otherwise Bi-halogen bulbs)
2. LED fog lamps (otherwise regular halogen fog lamps)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea I just don't understand it. I think the LEDs were bad. Today I used a different set that I had in my garage and they work fine. And, as most LEDs do, they stay dimly lit when I shut them off, but when I press the switches they turn on bright. Press the switches again they go back to dim. Something definitely shorted. But I don't ever use the map lights that way. As long as they turn on and off when getting in and out, I'm fine and will just leave it.
They stay dimly lit because the computer is running a low current through the lines for the lighting with the door feature. I pushed in some resistors on mine and they don't stay dimly lit anymore.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Premium Lighting Group is the option you need to add in order to have 3 things:

1. LED bar as the Daytime Running Lights (otherwise only on with lights)
2. HID headlights (otherwise Bi-halogen bulbs)
2. LED fog lamps (otherwise regular halogen fog lamps)
Actually if you click the headlight switch from the off position once to the right, you can turn on the light pipes and rear racetrack LEDs without the headlights being on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They stay dimly lit because the computer is running a low current through the lines for the lighting with the door feature. I pushed in some resistors on mine and they don't stay dimly lit anymore.

I am running into the same issue with them staying lit after everything is off. I have a 2015 200 S. How did you install resistors? Where? Any info would be appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts