Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Just returned from a swing though Colorado. I rented a 2022 Chrysler 300. It had the 3.6 engine. I was surprised to find that some changes ( I think ) were made to the programming on engine management, and shift points on the 8 speed. Being in the mountains, the car downshifted to keep the engine in the power band more frequently then I expected. Speed limits are high, even on rural two lane roads it's 65mph. Crossing steep mountain passes had the car in 3rd gear many times, yet holding speed. It wouldn't shift into 8th until after 70mph. After 1800 miles, from Denver, to the Rocky Mountain park and down as far as northern New Mexico, the car returned a surprising 36 miles to the gallon overall. I crossed many mountain passes and traveled up Mount Evans, the highest paved road in the U.S., at 14,264 feet, along with Wolf Creek, Hoosier and Cumbres passes. My wife's car is a 2020 Charger AWD with the 3.6, I have never been able to achieve that kind of mileage on her car. Not even close. It was a good trip and I recommend it to those that like to explore.

Attachments

Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
My sister flew me out to Arizona to drive her and her 3 kitties back to NY. We rented a 2018 Caravan GT w/3.6L/6-speed.

I averaged 26 mpg back in a loaded vehicle. The altitude changes and fuel quality varied quite a bit. Very comfortable trip, but I was hoping to get a Pacifica van instead.

The 300 is awesome, my wife likes them, but I'm a 200 believer. 馃槈

Reactions: fltru103

Registered
Thanks for posting. This reminds me so much of the maiden voyage of our 1999 WJ. I also was so impressed with how well that 5 speed (actually 6 if you count the extra gear when downshifting) worked with the cruise control and the 4.7L V8 in the mountains. Downshifting automatically on the descents! And it's already 23 years gone by. Glory Days! :giggle:

The only time I used low range in that Jeep was climbing Mosquito pass, allegedly the highest pass you can drive over in the US. (Wife was none too happy that day, or the next, or next, about the steep grade. But we survived. :cool:;))

Sky Cloud Road surface Slope Automotive tire
Wheel Cloud Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Car

Reactions: fltru103
1 - 3 of 3 Posts