1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hi respdoc, This might be a silly question but, do we have to pay for this update or is it free?

I have updated my radio twice so far with no cost but I think I have read somewhere that the map updates are $150.

My handheld GPS has lifetime updates for free.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi respdoc, This might be a silly question but, do we have to pay for this update or is it free?

I have updated my radio twice so far with no cost but I think I have read somewhere that the map updates are $150.

My handheld GPS has lifetime updates for free.

They do charge for every other model year so I would say they will almost certainly charge for these.

I also did hear there (should) be another Uconnect update in June (that one will be free).

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
You are right about the Uconnect update coming and June is the plan but no confirmation yet. As far as map updates goes, I've been a pain in the you know where for them for 6 months. Mayor here decided to rename about 80% of the south shore's streets a year ago and the NAV has been useless in town since as it doesn't know the new street names. I've emailed them at least once a month since telling them it is a non sense that 2015 cars still run on 2012 maps (Actually 2013 Q1 but they came out in 2012 Q4.)

The maps should be 149$ USD which is a steal but still better than nothing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I never use the in-car nav anyway. On top of being inaccurate/out-dated it also doesn't give you routes based on traffic (like Google Maps would) defeating the purpose of using nav to find the quickest route possible. I'm not going to pay fees for updates maps when they're worse than free services elsewhere.

I have a feeling I'll end up resorting to hacking in a way to use Android Auto/Apple Car Play eventually. :cool:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Do we know which Nav system is in the 200. My Brother has a Dodge Dart and it has the Garmin system.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I too am looking forward to this update. Many areas in my overall neighborhood are still being built, so this NAV doesn't know the streets.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I never use the in-car nav anyway. On top of being inaccurate/out-dated it also doesn't give you routes based on traffic (like Google Maps would) defeating the purpose of using nav to find the quickest route possible. I'm not going to pay fees for updates maps when they're worse than free services elsewhere.

I have a feeling I'll end up resorting to hacking in a way to use Android Auto/Apple Car Play eventually. :cool:
This NAV does go by traffic. There's an option to let it offer routing away from traffic issue. Before I turned it off, it would ask me often in the DC region if I want to take alternative routes.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Do we know which Nav system is in the 200. My Brother has a Dodge Dart and it has the Garmin system.
It is the HERE system which is based on Navtech of the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
I too am looking forward to this update. Many areas in my overall neighborhood are still being built, so this NAV doesn't know the streets.
Hopefully the update will be recent enough to know them...They need to be at least 2015Q2 here to know the new street names. Anything older than this will be useless.

I've been in a dilema for a few months here between paying to get the OEM NAV updated or paying a little bit more to get a premium garmin NAV with lifetime maps update and traffic.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
2015 Map update - finally here?

Hey guys:

May 26 is here and hopefully the day we 2015 200 owners finally get our first map update. Early model 2015 200s (from the first two months of production, such as my own) have maps dating to Quarter 4 of 2012. Most other 2015s shipped standard with the Quarter 4 2013 maps. HERE navigation apparently issues maps annually, but this year is the first "Official" release of the maps for the 2015 200s.

Last years release was supposedly compatible with the 2015, but I couldn't get them to work.

I'll be ordering my map updates as soon as they are ready, and will provide a "running commentary" here on how the process goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been hitting refresh all day long waiting for it to say its available! Side Note - i used to work for HERE a couple years ago...and they actually do release map updates quarterly for everything. The reason you never see quarterly updates available via car manufacturers is because once HERE releases the data to car manufacturers...then there is a whole other process the manufacturers have to do themselves, which takes forevveeeerrrr. They are supposed to be getting better at it...but as we can see...it still takes forever for Chrysler to release the udpates.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just an update. Today was the day of the "stated" new release but it will not happen today.

Upon talking with "Here" they state approx another month.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Just an update. Today was the day of the "stated" new release but it will not happen today.

Upon talking with "Here" they state approx another month.
That could be good news if they come up with the latest ones otherwise it just confirms that their system is s***

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Still feel as if Chrysler should provide us with a latest update on the maps since they put in old data to begin with. BUT.....................

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
When buying a map update you should make sure they have been updated in the areas you need to drive! I have a Garmin with lifetime updates and most of the time there is no difference in the area I live in. You should be able to go to the site and find the cities that have been updated the most. You just don't want to think they will have all or any of your location.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just contacted "Here" after performing my latest Uconnect Update to my 200. I noticed that my Maps for my 2015 Chrysler 200 were created way back in the 4th quarter of 2012. Here it is Aug of 2016 which means my Navigation system in my $35,000+ Chrysler 200C are nearly 4 years old. Louisville Ky and the surrounding Counties are EVER changing and updating roads, bridges, new neighborhoods and re-routing existing major roads and highways. So, a 4th Quarter 2012 Navigation system was already out of date when I purchased the car in Jan of 2015. Then I learn from the "Here" rep that I have to pay $149 for an update that she claims is coming out "Sometime in Aug". Well, I just bought one of the latest Garmin systems and it comes with LIFETIME FREE updates. Has a much better mapping system and I can talk to it. It was only $200.

[h=1]Garmin DriveSmart 50LMTHD 5" Touchscreen GPS with HD Traffic Receiver[/h]Features:
Bluetooth, Lifetime map and traffic updates, Voice-activated navigation, Speed limit indicator, Exit services, Foursquare, Rechargeable battery, Fatigue warning, suggests break times and rest areas

This is yet another HUGE Chrysler FAIL for me. I have said it before, I will NEVER purchase another Chrysler product!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts