Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased a used 2013 Chrysler 200 touring with 3.6 pentastar engine, I have approx. 150000 miles on the car, its been a great car so far, it had 20000 miles on it when I bought it. So far i have replaced the battery, alternator, Oil filter cooler housing assembly, temp control sensor ,intake manifold gaskets upper and lower, oil pressure sensor, air conditioner condenser, thermostat and housing, blend door actuator's, multiple sets of brake pads, front rotors, back rotors, back struts and getting ready to do front struts and driver side wheel bearing hub assembly, and tie rod ends. my problem is a weird random stall issue , it will die as if were turned off, no nothing, just dies while driving, when i go to restart it will just crank, but no start. if i allow the car to cool down it always starts as if nothing ever happened. There are no specific circumstances that precedes these totally random events. And, it does it at random intervals, sometimes it will go a week without doing it, other times it do it twice in a row or whatever. No check engine lights and no codes are thrown from these events. I am totally stumped. I was actually hoping it was the oil pressure sensor that i replaced along with the temp sensor that came with the oil cooler, but it has done it twice since that repair was made.im going to replace the cam sensors today, because they arent that expensive, but after that im a little unsure where to go from here, Please any advice from anyone who may have this problem please let me know. thank you

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
977 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Probably not the cam sensors. There are 4 of them and I doubt that all 4 would be defective at once.
Always diagnose first. You have to catch this while it doesn't start. If it starts and runs, then nothing will show as being defective.
Does it lose spark? Not everything will set a fault code.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree with diagnosing first but if I'm allowed to make a guess it would be the fuel pump. I think inadequate fuel flow/pressure would create a crank-no start but wouldn't throw any codes.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
If a fuel pump quit, it would take a few seconds to die as the fuel pressure dropped from about 50 psi to about 10 psi (?), when it would finally stall.
The OP describes it as a sudden shut-off, like turning off the ignition (electrical). An instant stall could be the loss of '+' feed to the coils or injectors.
Monitoring the 12v ASD relay output with a test light could help. If this test point doesn't lose power at a stall, move the test light closer to the load.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums. Probably not the cam sensors. There are 4 of them and I doubt that all 4 would be defective at once.
Always diagnose first. You have to catch this while it doesn't start. If it starts and runs, then nothing will show as being defective.
Does it lose spark? Not everything will set a fault code.
I am a fair detective when it comes to vehicles, here is what ive done so far
1: took to dealer to see if they could pull a code, they had to replace a small portion of the harness. after that was done they checked the entire harness to make sure there were not any other issues. all clear and no codes present after they got it to not start. they got it to do the crank no start thing twice while it was there, and no codes present after both events.
2: got it to not start again while i had a multi meter and a few tools with me, there was no spark, no fuel to pump, no power to fuel pump. almost like the car wasnt getting ANY signal to start. after this i decided to start throwing parts at it and replaced the oil cooler filter housing assembly (it had a small leak anyway and was on my to-do list. that took care of the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor. replaced two of the cam sensors that were probably exposed to some leaking oil. and replaced the crank position sensor, (also exposed to alot of oile from leak), serviced the transmission, filter, fluid, and made a dipstick per chrysler specs.flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat housing ,crossover tube, thermostat, back flushed the heater core to get some heat to my passengers(it worked well), we now have heat on both sides.its been a wekk now and it hasnt done the no start thing yet. but it has gone that long before without doing it. so we will see.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
Check this connection:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts