Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 200 with the 3.6l. I have no heat on the passenger side. I have had the radiator and heater core flushed. Didn’t fix the problem, so then I had the heater core replaced and it still hasn’t fixed the problem. I have no clue what to do now!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do you hear any sounds like water flowing from the center of the dash? That would be an indication of air in the system. The service manual recommends vacuum bleeding the cooling system. That is only a guess.

Another thought (guess, really) is the coolant itself is partially gelled due to intermixing of incompatible coolant types and that the new heater core is obstructed internally. I've seen a youtube video where a mechanic flushes the system with HOT water from a water heater.

Does the right hand dash vent have any airflow? If it's not flowing any air at all possibly the duct itself has come loose but that seems unlikely. Pretty easy to check.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 2013 200 with the 3.6l. I have no heat on the passenger side. I have had the radiator and heater core flushed. Didn’t fix the problem, so then I had the heater core replaced and it still hasn’t fixed the problem. I have no clue what to do now!
Hi frankp9765,

We're very sorry to hear of your concerns persisting. If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, please feel free to schedule an appointment at your local servicing dealer. If you can confirm an appointment, we would be happy to escalate a case to our internal handling team while your vehicle is in service for an extra layer of assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
137 Posts
You HAVE heat what you don't have is where it is directed... I don't know if you have the premium HVAC system that can support two different temperature zones... If you do then you might want to check the thermocouple sensor on the passenger side... If it is reporting (falsely) the temp on the passenger side as too hot then the HVAC controller would try to adjust the heat/cool blend door to full "cool" to compensate for what it thinks is a too hot mode... I've seen this on a car from KIA... Replaced the sensor and then the HVAC saw that the heat was OK and it then didn't try to adjust for more cool air...

Just some thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi frankp9765,

We're very sorry to hear of your concerns persisting. If you are unable to receive more feedback from here, please feel free to schedule an appointment at your local servicing dealer. If you can confirm an appointment, we would be happy to escalate a case to our internal handling team while your vehicle is in service for an extra layer of assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares
I did and it’s still isn’t fixed so no thanks...I’m not giving anyone another $1000+ to someone for a maybe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You HAVE heat what you don't have is where it is directed... I don't know if you have the premium HVAC system that can support two different temperature zones... If you do then you might want to check the thermocouple sensor on the passenger side... If it is reporting (falsely) the temp on the passenger side as too hot then the HVAC controller would try to adjust the heat/cool blend door to full "cool" to compensate for what it thinks is a too hot mode... I've seen this on a car from KIA... Replaced the sensor and then the HVAC saw that the heat was OK and it then didn't try to adjust for more cool air...

Just some thoughts...
Dave
I do not have dual climate control. The car belongs to my wife. I drove it to work yesterday (20-25min drive). I noticed it took for ever for the engine to start warming up. It never got much past 1/4 mark on the temp gauge. I’m guessing that would be around 100-120 degrees. The drivers side vent was barely “room temp” and the passenger side was cold.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You might need to replace the thermostat if the temp gauge doesn't go to the normal mid-point. If a car is very low on coolant the temp sensor won't register since the coolant won't be high enough to touch the sensor. Most likely the thermostat though. Might even set a check engine light with a P0128 code for slow warm up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might need to replace the thermostat if the temp gauge doesn't go to the normal mid-point. If a car is very low on coolant the temp sensor won't register since the coolant won't be high enough to touch the sensor. Most likely the thermostat though. Might even set a check engine light with a P0128 code for slow warm up.
So far there is no check engine light. I will try the thermostat next. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi frankp9765,

Alex
Chrysler Cares
Alex
I have the issue. I live in NY. Why hasnt this become a recall ?
Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 C200-I had to have r
the heater core replaced to resolve issue $857.00. Someone asked why isn't there a recall or Chrysler hasn't resolved issue, that I would like to know. After I took it out it was gelled and clogged. No other coolant than what the manual calls for, first gallon I purchased was $50.00. After I replaced the core, I flushed everything out and went with straight up antifreeze. This 100,000 10 year coolant is junk. I have a friend with 2012 Journey, same issue.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Alex
I have the issue. I live in NY. Why hasnt this become a recall ?
Thanks
Sean
Hi vei489,

I'm very sorry to hear of this happening and that I am unable to influence what concerns are made into recalls. What is the model year of your vehicle? Please send me a private message with more details as I'd be glad to see how I can assist further.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi vei489,

I'm very sorry to hear of this happening and that I am unable to influence what concerns are made into recalls. What is the model year of your vehicle? Please send me a private message with more details as I'd be glad to see how I can assist further.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem! 2013 200 limited 3.6L. I hear the water sound mentioned above and no heat to my passenger side. Occasionally, there’s no heat to the drivers side either. But never any to the passenger side. Air is blowing on both sides, the one never gets hot and the drivers side doesn’t get hot enough. Maybe it’s just too cold for the one side to keep up with, especially competing with the arctic blast coming from the other side. I do not have the dual climate system and There has not been any changes in the Car’s Running temperature. My A/C does not get cold either. But I believe that is a separate issue entirely. Has anyone narrowed down the heat issue or is there a good place to start?

·
Registered
2016 Chrysler 200s 2.4L
137 Posts
I stand corrected on my past post and now believe that the heater core is probably where your problem(s) are coming from... I found that the heater core is divided in half and the air is directed left and right... I have seen pictures of a 200 heater core and seen the right (passenger) side was nearly totally blocked... I have had the dash apart on my 2016 200s to replace the blown passenger air bag and it is NOT a quick or easy job...it is do-able but a lot has to come apart and it will take hours and there are two screws you will play h*ll trying to find in the top portion of the dash/dash pad...

This IS something caused by corrosion from the differences in metals used in the cooling system that the "new" organic coolant that they use...is NOT protecting the aluminum from corrosion... I'm using the old green standby Prestone antifreeze and have been watching for corrosion in my new aluminum radiator...
I'm not sure why FCA went to this new stuff but it probably has to to do with "saving the earth" and not your car....
Dave

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you're hearing a water sound in the dash there is probably air in the system. Fixing it might help coolant flow through the heater core but the most common cause of the no heat on the passenger side is gelled coolant blocking the flow through the part of the core that supplies heat to that side.

There is supposedly a shortcut to the core replacement that involves uncrimping the metal lines at the core. The core can them be removed without tearing apart the dash. A similar approach on RAM pickups involves cutting the metal lines and then using rubber hose to reconnect things after you get the replacement core in. Never done any of these myself so I can't vouch for either method.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the same problem! 2013 200 limited 3.6L. I hear the water sound mentioned above and no heat to my passenger side. Occasionally, there’s no heat to the drivers side either. But never any to the passenger side. Air is blowing on both sides, the one never gets hot and the drivers side doesn’t get hot enough. Maybe it’s just too cold for the one side to keep up with, especially competing with the arctic blast coming from the other side. I do not have the dual climate system and There has not been any changes in the Car’s Running temperature. My A/C does not get cold either. But I believe that is a separate issue entirely. Has anyone narrowed down the heat issue or is there a good place to start?
Hello,

We're very sorry to hear of this happening! Please send us a private message including your VIN as we would like to look into this further for you.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

We're very sorry to hear of this happening! Please send us a private message including your VIN as we would like to look into this further for you.

Alex
Chrysler Cares
It's good to see you doing what you're paid for, but this isn't a new problem with Chryslers.
People have been complaining about the heater core issue since 2011 but your company did not do anything to address the issue.
I think the problem is mostly with the earlier models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have heat on the passenger side either, flushed (anti-clockwise) and changed the coolant, but it's still the same thing, though the driver's side is okay.
That's probably because the car doesn't heat up quickly enough. Once you drive up to an hour on the highway, you'd be shutting off the heat.
Would advice you don't waste your money, until you try driving for like an hour to see if your heater really has an issue.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts