Chrysler 200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
It's good to see you doing what you're paid for, but this isn't a new problem with Chryslers.
People have been complaining about the heater core issue since 2011 but your company did not do anything to address the issue.
I think the problem is mostly with the earlier models.
No one is paying them from this forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
Hello,

We're very sorry to hear of this happening! Please send us a private message including your VIN as we would like to look into this further for you.

Alex
Chrysler Cares
You all helped me out back when my warranty expired on my first 200 and arranged a goodwill repair from a nearby dealer - thanks for going above and beyond.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Daughter has the 2012 Chrysler 200 limited sedan and the odometer has just turned over 140,000 KM. She has had this "heat on driver side only" for quite a while now. She didn't have it fixed because a mechanic told her that it would be ridiculously expensive to repair properly. No doubt the heater core is clogged on one side as has been stated. I had the heater core back flushed but it did not fix or help the problem. My daughter's 200 Limited has driven fairly well but has had some major problems that have soured the pot on Chrysler. The EVAC system had to be replaced because of raw fuel in the charcoal canister.(Check engine light was more on than off) The Sensor integrity module has been replaced three (3) times. The dual stage oil pump had to be replaced in the 3.6 Pentastar at 123,000 km. (This was a dangerous problem on the highway) These are all expensive repairs. I hope others have had better luck with their 200. I'm just having a look to see if Chrysler has issued a definitive service bulletin for the heating problem. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 2013 200 and I'm having the same problem with no heat on passenger side.
Hi Ej8479,

We're very sorry to hear of this happening. Have you had the chance to alert your servicing dealer of this? Please feel free to follow up with us in a private message as we are glad to look into this further.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
534 Posts
You all helped me out back when my warranty expired on my first 200 and arranged a goodwill repair from a nearby dealer - thanks for going above and beyond.
Hi Black Knight,

Thank you for the kind words. We're happy to hear we were of help to you. Please don't hesitate in reaching out if you need assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
534 Posts
My Daughter has the 2012 Chrysler 200 limited sedan and the odometer has just turned over 140,000 KM. She has had this "heat on driver side only" for quite a while now. She didn't have it fixed because a mechanic told her that it would be ridiculously expensive to repair properly. No doubt the heater core is clogged on one side as has been stated. I had the heater core back flushed but it did not fix or help the problem. My daughter's 200 Limited has driven fairly well but has had some major problems that have soured the pot on Chrysler. The EVAC system had to be replaced because of raw fuel in the charcoal canister.(Check engine light was more on than off) The Sensor integrity module has been replaced three (3) times. The dual stage oil pump had to be replaced in the 3.6 Pentastar at 123,000 km. (This was a dangerous problem on the highway) These are all expensive repairs. I hope others have had better luck with their 200. I'm just having a look to see if Chrysler has issued a definitive service bulletin for the heating problem. Wish me luck!
Hello,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concern. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to our Canadian customer care line by calling 1-800-361-3700 if you are interested in additional assistance. I apologize that I cannot be of further assistance at this time.
Laura
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do it yourself shortcut on heater core replacement without removing dash. Cut the pipes and substitute some extra lengths of heater hose. I reverse flushed mine last year but it looks like it has clogged again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced the heater core myself after I determined that the heat wasn't working on the passenger side shortly after purchasing my 2012 200 convertible used in 2017. I had tried the reverse flush method, even put some radiator flush in a bucket with a pump to just pump fluid through it for several hours, unfortunately nothing helped.

Lo and behold when I removed the carpet to get to it, I was surprised to see that it had already been replaced previously with the cutting the pipes and using hose method. While this made my replacement job easier, it was disheartening to see that it had happened again. Still I ran with it, I even cut the old heater core open and confirmed that it was clogged up with almost like chunks of calcium buildup almost blocking 2/3 of the channels. It wasn't gummed up or anything it really was like the white stuff you see after boiling water away. I'm thinking they used normal tap water at some point.

So I replaced the heater core and flushed the system with clean water and new coolant. This worked great for the first year, but it is getting worse again and now only my far left driver vent works, so will have to replace it again. I think the buildup must be coming from the radiator and that that would be replaced as well, or perhaps I'll get lucky and it'll be fine after this time. I have considered adding an inline filter to it before the coolant goes to the heater core to prevent this from happening in the future.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
790 Posts
The type of coolant used is an important consideration. The change was in 2012 to silicate-free, phosphate-free OAT. Wrong, impure coolants or untreated (hard) water may produce corrosion and blockage of the fine core passages.
Look for coolants meeting Chrysler MS-12106 for 2012-up OAT and MS-9769 for older HOAT vehicles.
Do not mix coolant types. Avoid 'universal' multi-purpose, generic coolants that state 'for ALL vehicles'. Be aware that quick-lube facilities may top up your reservoir with what's on hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The type of coolant used is an important consideration. The change was in 2012 to silicate-free, phosphate-free OAT. Wrong, impure coolants or untreated (hard) water may produce corrosion and blockage of the fine core passages.
Look for coolants meeting Chrysler MS-12106 for 2012-up OAT and MS-9769 for older HOAT vehicles.
Do not mix coolant types. Avoid 'universal' multi-purpose, generic coolants that state 'for ALL vehicles'. Be aware that quick-lube facilities may top up your reservoir with what's on hand.
Ya I will probably do that this time, but I'm betting it's more likely a result of what the previous owner used/did. I performed a complete flush/fill and used Prestone/Distilled Water, which based on my research a few years ago (after hearing about all the coolant issues for these model years) was ok as long as you didn't mix the types. It is also what I use in all my other vehicles without issues. That is why I'm thinking the radiator needs replaced as well as it probably has a ton of buildup in it that is slowly breaking off over time and then clogging the heater core, but it could also be everywhere else in the engine, so why I'm thinking of adding an inline filter.

I do my own oil changes so don't have to worry about quick lube places putting in the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe I will install one of these on the heater inlet when I replace the heater; it is available in 5/8” size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe I will install one of these on the heater inlet when I replace the heater; it is available in 5/8” size.
Yep that's exactly what I was considering. Definitely will be easier to clean that than replacing the heater core again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. We have taken to just parking the car when air temp falls below freezing. The fact that it is a safety issue alone should have triggered a recall.
The windshield freezes over on the passenger side and limits visibility.
I am so disappointed in this car.
Can't wait to get rid of it.
Since there is no help available from Chrysler.

·
Registered
2013, Chrysler 200, Limited, V6, Convertible
1 Posts
Started noticing last winter that the passenger side heat was non-existent. Air blowing strong but cold! Driver side was warm but my wife usually doesn't have anyone riding with her so we put off having it looked at right then; after all we had a great aftermarket warranty - so we thought.

Just a few days ago I rode as a passenger with my wife on a trip..my feet were absolutely freezing! I started doing some internet research and found that this is huge problem in Chrysler cars from about 2011 - 2014...several models. (Just search Chrysler no heat)

There are YouTube videos showing guys that have cut the heat core open after replacing it themselves only to find looked like it was filled with peanut butter - needless to say; not flushable. Only solution in every case was to replace the heater core and flush the anti-freeze, replace anti-freeze. .

The best explanation I've seen (don't remember which site) someone explained that the possibly the factory stated that the cars came with a specific type of anti-freeze when in reality...they put in a different type at the factory and when techs would top off with what they thought was the correct anti-freeze; the wrong one would cause the anti-freeze to gel. Another person suggested Chrysler was using a special additive when building the motors what reduced the likelihood of pin hole leaks? Direct from a former Cadillac mechanic - I know this to be a absolute fact involving certain engines from Cadillac.
Either way this is not the customers fault, Chrysler needs to recognize this as a production problem and start helping out all these people that are chunking out $1,200 - $1,800 of their own money. Do a recall or extended warranty for this issue. Oh, and the great aftermarket warranty? They said "Huh, we see nothing that's broken here so, sorry we are not paying".

I have contacted Chrysler Cares / Stellantis but it's obvious they DON'T care. Talked with very nice lady but she said nothing she could do and she was not seeing any other cars with this type of problem in her system. My call was forward to her department after I asked for my inquiry to be elevated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Above is another version of a heater inlet cooler filter. There have been some issues with the see thru glass ones breaking so the all brass one would not fail like that.

Started noticing last winter that the passenger side heat was non-existent. Air blowing strong but cold! Driver side was warm but my wife usually doesn't have anyone riding with her so we put off having it looked at right then; after all we had a great aftermarket warranty - so we thought.

Just a few days ago I rode as a passenger with my wife on a trip..my feet were absolutely freezing! I started doing some internet research and found that this is huge problem in Chrysler cars from about 2011 - 2014...several models. (Just search Chrysler no heat)

There are YouTube videos showing guys that have cut the heat core open after replacing it themselves only to find looked like it was filled with peanut butter - needless to say; not flushable. Only solution in every case was to replace the heater core and flush the anti-freeze, replace anti-freeze. .

The best explanation I've seen (don't remember which site) someone explained that the possibly the factory stated that the cars came with a specific type of anti-freeze when in reality...they put in a different type at the factory and when techs would top off with what they thought was the correct anti-freeze; the wrong one would cause the anti-freeze to gel. Another person suggested Chrysler was using a special additive when building the motors what reduced the likelihood of pin hole leaks? Direct from a former Cadillac mechanic - I know this to be a absolute fact involving certain engines from Cadillac.
Either way this is not the customers fault, Chrysler needs to recognize this as a production problem and start helping out all these people that are chunking out $1,200 - $1,800 of their own money. Do a recall or extended warranty for this issue. Oh, and the great aftermarket warranty? They said "Huh, we see nothing that's broken here so, sorry we are not paying".

I have contacted Chrysler Cares / Stellantis but it's obvious they DON'T care. Talked with very nice lady but she said nothing she could do and she was not seeing any other cars with this type of problem in her system. My call was forward to her department after I asked for my inquiry to be elevated.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts