Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 3.6 Convertible Touring - When I start the car, I get an odd clicking noise in the interior. About 40 rapid kinda loud clicks that sound like they're coming from the stereo, but the volume/power knob makes no difference. It always seems the same in tempo, volume and duration, so it's not the fan or the stereo.
Also, if the heating/AC is off, no noise. But it may happen if I later turn the heater on. And, it doesn't always happen; maybe half the time or more.
Not really annoying because it's over in about 12 seconds, and it doesn't recur during driving, so...

Anybody else heard this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is one of the A/C door actuators that has gone bad (very common). The gears inside them strip then click-clack. Buy a MOPAR replacement ($40), the parts store ones that are $17 last six months if you are lucky. There are usually three of these actuators (mode / blend / re circulation) -it is usually only one that goes bad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for slow reply - this new format has me beat.
Air conditioning actuator in the door? Please pardon my ignorance.
That doesn't sound right; it's not a clicking noise like a stripped little plastic gear - it's not mechanical, it's electrical.
Awesome avatar Colonel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The actuators are not in the doors, they are inside the dashboard... Yours does not sound like the one in the video I posted earlier (around the :55 to 1:05 mark)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad - I didn't watch the vid. But now I did, and you must be absolutely correct!!! Many thanks!
I sure hope it's the easy(?!) one to get to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My bad - I didn't watch the vid. But now I did, and you must be absolutely correct!!! Many thanks!
I sure hope it's the easy(?!) one to get to.
I have catchers mitts for hands..I let my wife fix the actuators in all my cars (two 2016 Chargers, the 2013 C200, and an old 2008 PT Looser) . We've experienced them lasting about 5 years and then going bad..I keep a spare on hand at all times!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the old actuator as per the video - thanks again. (Same one as in vid.)
And now there is no noise. However, I opened the actuator and could find no damage to any of the little gears inside. Then, I plugged it back in and started the car with it hanging. The gears turn fine and no noise. That suggests that the stripped gear is inside the evap box.
Dealer estimates $1500 to remove dash and replace the evap box.
Oh well, at least the defrost/feet setting it's now on is the one I want.
I just can't see spending that (for now at least) so I just left the unit hanging free.

But, the noise in the video is identical, so I'm kinda stumped; your fixes always worked, right?
(Part is $80 here in N. Alberta dealer.)

·
Registered
279 Posts
My wife's car had this problem, and I also found no damage to the gears or anything inside the old actuator. But replacing it solved the problem, and that was a few years ago. Don't pull the airbox apart, it's the actuator.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do the actuators make a different clicking? I have 2 different clicking noises.
Ours was the recirc motor, it is on the right side of the glovebox. It's a loud clacking sound, about 2 per second. Happens also when you open the door, and several times within 20 minutes of using the car or opening the door after use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys were right!
I bought & installed the part; no noise & different defrost/heat/feet settings all work. Thanks again, gentlemen!

Funny story; I went back to the dealer today. Different parts person tells me the part is now not 80, it's $280!?!?
No stinkin' way!

NAPA, $42, in stock. 10 minutes done.
(But it doesn't come with the 2 screws like the factory one does. Those must be some Titanium-coated Platinum or sumpthin'! hehehe)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts