Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I need to replace the oil cooler on my 3.6 2016 200. I am getting the impression the plastic OEM version is not a great idea. I saw the aluminum dorman one suggested. Is this the best option or is there another brand I should look at? To me the more reliable the better even if it costs more.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go with the Dorman one.
The oil cooler set up on these engines is a massive design flaw in my opinion.
I would go with the Dorman one.
The oil cooler set up on these engines is a massive design flaw in my opinion.
Good deal. It is coming up on 100k . While I am there is there anything that I should plan on going ahead and replacing at the same time?

· Registered
501 Posts
Good deal. It is coming up on 100k . While I am there is there anything that I should plan on going ahead and replacing at the same time?
That's not bad. I replaced mine 3 times already and I'm at just under 50k miles. Last time it failed I wanted to get the Dorman but it was on back order. If it fails again I'm definitely getting that one.

It's probably a good idea to change the spark plugs while you're in there. Especially if you're at 100k. I changed mine at 45k, but then again mine is 8 years old. Might be a good idea to change the PCV valve as well.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is actually my wife’s car and I’m pretty sure if I had to replace it three times before 50k she would have had me trading the car in so I feel for ya there.I kind of suspect it really only happened this time because we drove it from 70 degrees and sunny into -9 degrees. It was the following morning I discovered a puddle.

The only place it seems to be available to order from right now is Advance Auto. Everywhere else I went is saying out of stock.
I think I will go ahead with the spark plugs and and the PCV valve. Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

· Banned
65 Posts
The aluminum replacement is the way to go.

I would also use 30-min gasket maker around the gaskets where it mates to the block.
IF the gasket should fail, then you have the gasket material to keep it from leaking.
I do it all the time with thermostat housings, even the plastic ones, when the person
does not want metal, and they never come back for gasket area leaks.

Full Kit: Aluminum Engine Oil Filter Housing Fit For 2011-2016 Dodge Jeep Chrysler Ram3.6L | eBay

Just the housing, use all your parts: Oil filter Aluminum housing For 11- 18 Jeep Dodge Chrysler | eBay

· Banned
65 Posts
Too bad there isn't a way to move the system away from the motor... Or, at least run the coolant through a separate cooler with an electric pump. When I get mine, I will run without the engine cover. I ran without the engine cover on my camaro, and it drastically lowered the intake manifold temps, and overall top end engine temps. I checked it with a FLIR camera, and it was a huge difference. That oil cooler needs air passing over it, not HOT air trapped under the engine cover.

· Registered
501 Posts
If you're going to buy the aluminum one, at least get the Dorman brand. I noticed after they developed theirs all these other no-name companies started making their own too for cheaper. Sounds like the same thing with the aftermarket plastic oil coolers that cost $89 and fail after a year or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts