Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! I'm new here. Sorry for the long read!
I've had my 15' 200 for a year and a half. It has been a great vehicle. Hit my first deer in it haha, but besides that no issues up until my last oil change. I got an oil change on October 2nd, shortly after that, I noticed a spot under my vehicle at work, but figured it was condensation, then started smelling burning oil while I was driving. On November 2nd, my check engine light came on. I check the oil, no oil. My vehicle had ran the whole month fine, no issues, so I never assumed it was an oil issue. I take it to the place I got the oil change. They end up thinking it was a faulty gasket on the filter and replace the filter and fill my oil back up. They said the gasket wasn't sealed correctly and was allowing a fine mist of oil to release and that is why it took the whole month for it to empty. I was sent on my way thinking all was well and fixed. They tell me that I may still smell the burning oil a little since they may not have gotten it all off when they cleaned under the hood.
I have still been smelling the burning, figured it would stop about a week after...no. And yesterday I notice that the oil stain under my car in my parking spot at work looks wet again so I move spots. When I get off, guess what, fresh oil leak on the new parking spot. I take it back and say it is still leaking oil, whatever y'all did last time didn't fix it and it wasn't leaking before my last oil change. They spend a good 30 minutes inspecting it, say there is oil in the skid plate, can see oil leaking when I rev the engine, but can't tell where it is coming from. Any opinions on this? Anyone else dealt with this? They are offering to take it to their warranty mechanic for a couple days, but I'm kind of hesitant on that and wanting some opinions first. I appreciate y'all.

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Not enough specifics to offer an opinion.
You didn't even say which engine you have.
Any good reputable shop should be able to diagnose an oil leak.
Stay away from quickie oil change places.

First thing I would recommend is a complete cleaning around the undercarriage after removal of the underbelly pan. An inspection afterward, with the engine running, should reveal the leak.

The 3.6 engine could leak from the top at the oil filter housing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not enough specifics to offer an opinion.
You didn't even say which engine you have.
Any good reputable shop should be able to diagnose an oil leak.
Stay away from quickie oil change places.

First thing I would recommend is a complete cleaning around the undercarriage after removal of the underbelly pan. An inspection afterward, with the engine running, should reveal the leak.

The 3.6 engine could leak from the top at the oil filter housing.

It is a 3.6. One of the techs last night did mention that the filter wasn't completely tightened when he took it off. They removed the undercarriage and cleaned, had me let it run, rev it up, still couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I'm worried about honesty here, I'm a female going at this alone and have been ripped off before from shops. I'm hoping to get an honest opinion from someone more knowledgeable than myself here.

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
631 Posts
Welcome to the forums. As fltru103 mentioned, the black plastic oil filter housing at the top of the engine can be a source of engine oil leaks. The plastic can crack and need replacement.
It may not be related to the accident.
Check with your dealer about possible powertrain warranty coverage? How many miles?

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
It is a 3.6. One of the techs last night did mention that the filter wasn't completely tightened when he took it off. They removed the undercarriage and cleaned, had me let it run, rev it up, still couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I'm worried about honesty here, I'm a female going at this alone and have been ripped off before from shops. I'm hoping to get an honest opinion from someone more knowledgeable than myself here.
The 3.6 oil filter assembly has been known to leak. It could be that and I would look there first.
If the cannister is overtightened, cracked or the O ring seal failed, oil will leak from that area.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200c 3.6L AWD
1 Posts
Hello, everyone! I'm new here. Sorry for the long read!
I've had my 15' 200 for a year and a half. It has been a great vehicle. Hit my first deer in it haha, but besides that no issues up until my last oil change. I got an oil change on October 2nd, shortly after that, I noticed a spot under my vehicle at work, but figured it was condensation, then started smelling burning oil while I was driving. On November 2nd, my check engine light came on. I check the oil, no oil. My vehicle had ran the whole month fine, no issues, so I never assumed it was an oil issue. I take it to the place I got the oil change. They end up thinking it was a faulty gasket on the filter and replace the filter and fill my oil back up. They said the gasket wasn't sealed correctly and was allowing a fine mist of oil to release and that is why it took the whole month for it to empty. I was sent on my way thinking all was well and fixed. They tell me that I may still smell the burning oil a little since they may not have gotten it all off when they cleaned under the hood.
I have still been smelling the burning, figured it would stop about a week after...no. And yesterday I notice that the oil stain under my car in my parking spot at work looks wet again so I move spots. When I get off, guess what, fresh oil leak on the new parking spot. I take it back and say it is still leaking oil, whatever y'all did last time didn't fix it and it wasn't leaking before my last oil change. They spend a good 30 minutes inspecting it, say there is oil in the skid plate, can see oil leaking when I rev the engine, but can't tell where it is coming from. Any opinions on this? Anyone else dealt with this? They are offering to take it to their warranty mechanic for a couple days, but I'm kind of hesitant on that and wanting some opinions first. I appreciate y'all.
I would look into your oil cooler assembly. Those are a common oil leak point on these 3.6 liters. If the check engine code comes back as your oil pressure switch, its likely the whole oil cooler assembly that is leaking. I've replaced the cooler once and now replacing the pressure switch yet again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Regarding the oil filter assembly leak, which I just discover that I have, how extensive, expensive is the repair ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Regarding the oil filter assembly leak, which I just discover that I have, how extensive, expensive is the repair ?
I am having the oil cooler replaced on my car today since it is leaking. Job involves removing the upper & lower manifold and the part retails for almost $300. I would imagine the job will be between $800-$1300. Will report back later.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am having the oil cooler replaced on my car today since it is leaking. Job involves removing the upper & lower manifold and the part retails for almost $300. I would imagine the job will be between $800-$1300. Will report back later.
Thanks, brought my car to the dealer this morning, found out I had one month left on my extended warranty, thought it had expired, but according to dealer it expires 12/31

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer determined that the oil cooler was okay and that the oil filter cap was loose. They tightened it and we'll see. Gotta appreciate their honesty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had my oil cooler assy replaced today, it was definitely leaking at the plastic filter housing where it was attached to the cooler, was covered by warranty, when I signed the paper work I noticed the job was priced out at $735.00. The copy I received listed the oil cooler assembly, intake and plenum and manifold gaskets, 6 qt oil change and filter but no prices on my copy

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
443 Posts
Had my oil cooler assy replaced today, it was definitely leaking at the plastic filter housing where it was attached to the cooler, was covered by warranty, when I signed the paper work I noticed the job was priced out at $735.00. The copy I received listed the oil cooler assembly, intake and plenum and manifold gaskets, 6 qt oil change and filter but no prices on my copy
That sounds right. Had mine done w Carmax warranty and it was $700 using o.e. parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts