Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so i started my car this afternoon. All was normal untill i put it in reverse and the check engine light came on i dont have a code for it havent moved it since the light came on. the oil temp gauge isnt reading anything and the trans temp seems to be running on the low side (67 degrees) but its also about 55 degrees out side to day. the trans ran a little rough this morning when i ran it but no light was on then so i just took it slow and steady, and she eventually ran pretty smoothly the rest of the trip untill just now the light came on engine sounds normal just got the oil changed and tires replaced and am afraid small town mechanic screwed me over and did something to the car so i would have to go back over and over again. im new to lerarning cars and am very anxious to mess with anything so any info you guys can give or better questions to ask would be great!

·
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
637 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It is still OK to drive as long as the oil pressure is good. The PCM needs to know oil temperature in order to predict cam timing and valve rocker reaction time. Possibly a disconnected or broken sensor wire?
What year and engine?
The ZF 9-speed does run cooler than conventional transaxles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few thoughts to help with troubleshooting - I'm sure others will have more advice:

1. I would check the oil, both quantity and type (whatever weight is specified on the oil cap, verify is what was put in) before moving it. Probably nothing, but I'd start here given that you just had that changed.
2. Go to Autozone/Advance/Oreilly/Napa and have them pull the code(s) - they do this for free. If nothing is wrong in step one, I'm going to bet the code is for an oil temperature sensor. That could be the cause of the oil temperature not reading. Either that or some type of wiring issue.
3. Did the transmission eventually warm up? Mine shifts rough in the cold too (I'm assuming you have a 2015+ with 9 speed) but I've learned to live with it. Once it gets above 89, shifts get smoother until it reaches normal (165-170).

It's odd that the engine didn't act weird until it was under load (reverse) which leads me to a spark plug or coil pack. However, go with the obvious first, then work your way from there. Getting the codes will help you determine this too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey so i started my car this afternoon. All was normal untill i put it in reverse and the check engine light came on i dont have a code for it havent moved it since the light came on. the oil temp gauge isnt reading anything and the trans temp seems to be running on the low side (67 degrees) but its also about 55 degrees out side to day. the trans ran a little rough this morning when i ran it but no light was on then so i just took it slow and steady, and she eventually ran pretty smoothly the rest of the trip untill just now the light came on engine sounds normal just got the oil changed and tires replaced and am afraid small town mechanic screwed me over and did something to the car so i would have to go back over and over again. im new to lerarning cars and am very anxious to mess with anything so any info you guys can give or better questions to ask would be great!
So update on the car it ran fine this morning and this afternoon when it ran i couldnt go over 45 shifting was rough. if i went over 45 it shook and just idling the alternator sounded like it was limiting itself like it was slower than normal. it has oil and for the person who asked its a 2015 200 s im not sure what engine it is its at a friends house because thats where i was closest when these problems arose. im not comfortable moving it really and im afraid its just in the trash already so. thanks for the replies you gusy gave me some questions to ask and stuff so thanks alot and any more info you can give thatd be great thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So update on the car it ran fine this morning and this afternoon when it ran i couldnt go over 45 shifting was rough. if i went over 45 it shook and just idling the alternator sounded like it was limiting itself like it was slower than normal. it has oil and for the person who asked its a 2015 200 s im not sure what engine it is its at a friends house because thats where i was closest when these problems arose. im not comfortable moving it really and im afraid its just in the trash already so. thanks for the replies you gusy gave me some questions to ask and stuff so thanks alot and any more info you can give thatd be great thanks again!
Have it towed to a dealership for inspection. Before you get there, write down a list of things that are going on and number them! With written descriptions I have found that mechanics do a much better job of diagnosing your car. Ask the service manager if you review your list with the mechanic servicing your car. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK OR COMMENT! You are paying for service, you have the right to give your opinion. Take pictures if that would be relevant. Today's cars are complex but can be repaired CORRECTLY if you are up on your game!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts