Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2015 Chrysler 200C with the 3.6
(Had a thermostat code last month, replaced my thermostat and it went away)

I've had it since 2018 with next to no issues. I had a leaky valve stem in my back left tire and took it to a shop to get it fixed. On the way there I heard a chime and looked down at my gauge cluster and noticed it said high engine temp. I checked the temp and it was running at 245⁰.. There was a large hill leading down to the tire shop, as I was going down hill the engine temp dropped back down to normal.. I made it to the tire shop, checked my coolant level in the overflow tank and it had had shot up above the full line. After it cooled off, my coolant level dropped to just below full.. After my tire was fixed, I sat in my car for about 20 minutes letting it idle, and the temps remained normal.. I left the shop and went back up the previously mentioned hill, and my temps immediately shot back up to 245⁰.. Not sure what the issue could be. Maybe another bad thermostat? But I'm not getting any engine codes. Maybe the water pump?

Also, I am currently stationed in Minot, North Dakota. I noticed some whining noise for the first couple of minutes after starting my car during the colder winter months..

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't offer any advice on the overheating so hopefully someone else that knows more on the cooling system will chime in. The whining during cold starts could be the tensioner though, it's a known issue with certain 2015 200s with the V6. Check out this TSB here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10119621-9999.pdf.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,323 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It is important to use an OAT-based coolant meeting Chrysler MS-12106 for service or maintenance. Do not mix coolant types. Use distilled or soft water only. You can't always go by coolant color.

There is another TSB for 3.6L software updates if it hasn't been done yet (the PCM update isn't a recall, but may be covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty):
It addresses CTS performance, radiator cooling fan and more. See Symptoms/Conditions.

Reactions: MosesTheBearded

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums. It is important to use an OAT-based coolant meeting Chrysler MS-12106 for service or maintenance. Do not mix coolant types. Use distilled or soft water only. You can't always go by coolant color.

There is another TSB for 3.6L software updates if it hasn't been done yet (the PCM update isn't a recall, but may be covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended federal emissions warranty):
It addresses CTS performance, radiator cooling fan and more. See Symptoms/Conditions.
I'm going to see about taking it to a Chrysler dealership here in town for a flush and fill and I'll see if they can check on the software update as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hope it’s not the case, but it could be a head gasket leak. You can get a block tester from auto parts stores like Napa to rule that out or confirm it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts