Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a P0128 - CEL for my 2015 200s. Cleared it, and it came back within 2 starts.

From what I can tell the Air intake, Ait Temp are fine, Coolant never surpasses 85'C (185F) and takes at least 15minutes to get there. If I turn on heat in the car, you can get it to dip (the coolant temperature) . Plugged in Torque (app) and did some monitoring. Screenshot_20190126-165804.jpg

I presume the thermostat in stuck open. How can I determine its not a temperature sensor?

Is there a voltage chart on the sensor? how can I diagnose a faulty sensor? I'm shocked that a 3.5 year old thermostat failing...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Could b a t-stat but its cold here in RI avg temp been 0-20 deg the last couple weeks and my coolant temps been 190 ish so it may be something else. It seems cold there also if the air temp in pic is correct. if your in a warm climate id lean more towards the t-stat. keep us posted!

·
Registered
414 Posts
....Also, seen alot of coolant temp sensors changed here. Search the forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same DTC in my 2014 200 3.6L...for me, it would take forever for the engine to get warm enough to turn on the heater and not freeze myself out (thank you to the maker of heated seats!). My DTC went out pretty quickly, but the engine continued to take forever to heat up, but never overheated, so I was pretty confident that the thermostat was just staying open. I changed the thermostat, bled the air out of the system, and haven’t had a problem since...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still hunting down my P0128 CEL; I'm convinced it is the coolant sensor. Why? I chances of a 3 year old thermo going is not likely, (in the 2.4L I here it was defective, I have a 3.6L) I checked out the Freeze Frame data; And noticed, the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) not consistent which live "coolant temperature" seen with my Torque App (which is consistent with what the car display shows)

I believe its the ECT sensor; Also, when it gets "hot" 105-115'C (220-240'F) car "smells". I believe the ECT sensor is bad;

Also, both times it "lite" up. I splashed into a big puddle; I wonder if it got "wet" or something else;

Where is the ECT sensor on a 2015 3.6L Chrysler 200s? Gonna order that. and report...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still hunting down my P0128 CEL; I'm convinced it is the coolant sensor. Why? I chances of a 3 year old thermo going is not likely, (in the 2.4L I here it was defective, I have a 3.6L) I checked out the Freeze Frame data; And noticed, the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) not consistent which live "coolant temperature" seen with my Torque App (which is consistent with what the car display shows)

I believe its the ECT sensor; Also, when it gets "hot" 105-115'C (220-240'F) car "smells". I believe the ECT sensor is bad;

Also, both times it "lite" up. I splashed into a big puddle; I wonder if it got "wet" or something else;

Where is the ECT sensor on a 2015 3.6L Chrysler 200s? Gonna order that. and report...
I can’t find it on my 2014 either for the 3.6. No videos or pictures even.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
421 Posts
In the shop, P0128 is called the thermostat code. If the engine can't reach temperature after a certain amount of time, it can set the code. We saw this code almost exclusively in Winter cold snaps. It could also happen with low coolant levels.
There have been software updates for various years, models and engines to address erroneous P0128 (and other code) sets. P0116 is the engine coolant temperature sensor performance code that can also set.
All 3.6L ECT sensor locations are the same. Always use OEM replacement parts for best results:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts