Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I did a search in the forum prior to posting and found nothing related to this 'specific' issue so I wanted to inquire to the forum.

I was driving home (VA to NJ) and roughly 2.5 hours from home, I got the dreaded 'Service Transmission' along with a CEL notification. My car was in 8th and went into limp mode, locking itself in 8th. I restarted multiple times and the light stayed on with my car staying in limp mode (4th gear this time). I tried to run for OBD codes and nothing populated on my main machine. I then kept my car off for 15-20 minutes, restarted, and then 'Service Transmission' and CEL light went away, allowing me to get home.

I opened a ticket with corporate as my warranty was expiring within 3 days and I had no luck scheduling an appointment (the soonest I can get one is 10/24/20 in the entire state of NJ). Randomly, I used one of those cheaper bluetooth OBD tools and I received the following code: P0934 Line Pressure Sensor Circuit Low.
After researching this code further, it seems to be connected to the transmission.

My question, could a P0934 code trigger a 'Service Transmission' error and cause my car to go into limp mode? I'm hoping this is the only issue, however, it seems weird..

Any thoughts

·
Registered
157 Posts
From a quick search of that code it definitely looks like it could cause the TCM to put it into limp mode. Even though it's cleared you should still get it looked at if you can, especially considering it's under warranty. Could be as simple as a software update or a bad sensor or it could be other hardware failing like the TCM. Even if the dealer says it's nothing getting it looked at will help in case it comes back later since you could then make a case that warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats my plan. My warranty is now expired, however, Chrysler says they will honor whatever needs to be done since I contacted them prior to my expiration. My concern (and I've had this previously with my wiring harness recall), is they remedy the problem and it comes back in 2-5 months and they say 'Tough Luck'. This is why I'm over-documenting EVERYTHING.

Thanks for researching, I have been doing some research as well but was unsure if it would infact trigger limp mode. Thanks for confirming

·
Administrator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
2,653 Posts
The fault code will probably need to be present in the TCM when the car goes in for service. If it faults again, don't erase the code!
Event data (freeze frame and snapshot) gets erased when the code is cleared. That information may be needed for diagnosis and a warranty repair OK.

Reactions: Sleeper200c

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fault code will probably need to be present in the TCM when the car goes in for service. If it faults again, don't erase the code!
Event data (freeze frame and snapshot) gets erased when the code is cleared. That information may be needed for diagnosis and a warranty repair OK.
I have not erased the code, however, the light is now off. Whenever I run my cheap bluetooth OBD reader, the code still populates. I also screenshotted the code and sent it in my email thread to Chrysler customer service just to log it (not sure if that will do anything).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
157 Posts
The dealer may find additional codes as well that can help them figure this out. When my transmission failed their tool found a lot more codes stored in the system then mine could.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone,
Just a quick update. The service department commuting with my Case manager stating that it is the Valve Body.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty? They are saying its not, however, I wanted to confirm with this forum as I believe a quick google search is stating that it is. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Hey everyone,
Just a quick update. The service department commuting with my Case manager stating that it is the Valve Body.

Does anyone know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty? They are saying its not, however, I wanted to confirm with this forum as I believe a quick google search is stating that it is. Thanks!
You have never stated the specifics of your car, year, engine, etc.
The valve body is internal part of the transmission / transaxle. Therefore, it is a covered powertrain item providing you fall within the time and mileage stipulation.
2015 models had a 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty ... whichever comes first.
2016 models had a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
It is a 2015. You should have access to, and be able to get a copy of the X80 extended warranty. I don't know what is or isn't covered. It looks like it also needs a bread crumb trail of service history concerns.

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
The claims submission deadline has passed to be included with the lawsuit. ( Filing Deadline: May 15, 2019 )
There is also this wording.
You may be eligible if you bought or leased one of the class vehicles new, in the US for family, household, or personal use, and still own it.

In other words, you must have bought the vehicle new.

I would still ask for assistance with the repair. Call Chrysler customer service. 800-247-9753
Or send mail.
Chrysler Customer Care
PO Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills MI 48321-8004

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have never stated the specifics of your car, year, engine, etc.
The valve body is internal part of the transmission / transaxle. Therefore, it is a covered powertrain item providing you fall within the time and mileage stipulation.
2015 models had a 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty ... whichever comes first.
2016 models had a 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty.
my apologies. I have a 2015 200 limited (4 cylinder ).
it was the 5 year warranty but I had a notice from Chrysler regarding the 1 year extension due to the lawsuit settlement I logged a case prior to the expiration.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They finally acknowledged that my warranty was still valid at the time of case, however, they are claiming the valve body is not covered and is part of the basic warranty (expired). I asked “why”, and my case manager responded “thats what the dealership said, I’m not a mechanic”

I’m having doubts about the service department’s statement as the valve body is seemingly part of the powertrain warranty. I have no issues paying for it if its truly not covered, but I’m really not liking the interactions I have had so far. The case manager is nice, but has messed up the dates already and the service department has essentially given me no updates and has only been communicating with the Case Manager; mind you my car has been in the shop a week longer than they said with zero updates/calls to me.

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
It needs to have an explanation why it isn't covered and it has to be stated in writing on a shop repair order.
Word of mouth and phone conversations don't count and can't be presented if challenged.
It shouldn't be difficult to show you a document that states in print (and in person) what is and what isn't covered under the X80 transaxle warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update 11/2/20: Still have yet to receive word from the dealer (despite car being in the shop for over a week).
Chrysler Cares stated that the Valve Body isn’t covered and said I need to contact service department for updates and did not provide an explanation or documentation after I requested it multiple times.

Does anyone know if Chrysler Cares monitors this board or as a rep online? I hate being testy with the reps, but all the information and questions I have been requesting go unanswered. They also, for the past month, kept stating incorrect warranty dates on my vehicle.

Seems really odd that I asked via phone/email for x80 warranty information and an explanation as to why the valve body is not covered multiple times, and they have not been able to answer it..

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2,653 Posts
If this repair has been issued a STAR case number, have that handy.

Reactions: fltru103

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll check and see if theres a STAR case.

As an update, this is getting comical. I have requested documentation on the x80 warranty as well as an explanation as to why the repair isn’t covered and they refuse to provide it.

They continuously state that I’m out of warranty because my car was serviced 20 days after warranty ended despite logging a case with them prior to the expiration period. Due to service center bandwidth, they were not able to fit me in for around a month. I found a Chrysler shop willing to look at it sooner, but Chrysler Cares advised against it and to stay with the service center they provided ensuring me that I would be covered since I logged a case prior to expiration.

Now it seems they are recanting that statement (despite showing them the record they said it) and are avoiding my calls/emails.

Very odd........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cc @ChryslerCares
I’ll check and see if theres a STAR case.

As an update, this is getting comical. I have requested documentation on the x80 warranty as well as an explanation as to why the repair isn’t covered and they refuse to provide it.

They continuously state that I’m out of warranty because my car was serviced 20 days after warranty ended despite logging a case with them prior to the expiration period. Due to service center bandwidth, they were not able to fit me in for around a month. I found a Chrysler shop willing to look at it sooner, but Chrysler Cares advised against it and to stay with the service center they provided ensuring me that I would be covered since I logged a case prior to expiration.

Now it seems they are recanting that statement (despite showing them the record they said it) and are avoiding my calls/emails.

Very odd........
CC @ChryslerCares

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 11/4/20:
Mostly posting this update in case others run into warranty issues and what happened to me

Chrysler officially closed my case and said warranty related repairs will not be covered by them.
My service advisor is confused as he informed me that this would be an eligible x80 warranty repair and is shocked Corporate is behaving this way.

I am engaging 2 law firms that handled the transmission settlement to address FCA.

I love my car, but this service has been horrific and unfortunately will lead my family, who exclusively drove FCA products away.

I guess life goes on and I have to write this off as bad luck until the lawyers are fully engaged.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is really bizarre that they tried to claim that the valve body was not part of the powertrain (if I'm reading it correctly). When my transmission failed in my 2015 they first replaced the valve body and it was most definitely covered under the powertrain warranty since the bumper to bumper warranty had already expired at the time. It ended up needing an entire transmission which was also covered under the powertrain warranty but I still would have owed nothing if the new valve body had fixed it. Like your case the problems started and were first logged before the powertrain warranty expired but it did expire before service was completed and they still took care of it.

Hope you can get this sorted out.

Reactions: fltru103
1 - 20 of 22 Posts