Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what a story i have. all started with rough idle in the cold mornings. was actually misfire in cylinder 3. turned out to be oil control valve. ( which is built into the VVT actuator ).The other day my car goes into LIMP mode on the highway in SPORT mode. happens every time now. so the whole actuator gets replaced bc its causing the misfire, i actually started knocking at some point ( just a worsened symptom of the bad VVT actuator ). then the O2 was bad causing limp mode, that was changed. I had a catalytic converter code saying it was clogged ( which also causes limp mode ) that was changed. now I just changed the MAP sensor ( which can also cause limp mode ) and the car STILL GOES INTO LIMP MODE!!! ( " limp mode only happens on the highway at high speeds and only in SPORT mode". I have checked the throttle body it opens and closes %100. I am stumped. Im guessing it has to do with the TCM? do you think that needs replacing now? or maybe an update? any ideas? anybody been through this problem? thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well what a story i have. all started with rough idle in the cold mornings. was actually misfire in cylinder 3. turned out to be oil control valve. ( which is built into the VVT actuator ).The other day my car goes into LIMP mode on the highway in SPORT mode. happens every time now. so the whole actuator gets replaced bc its causing the misfire, i actually started knocking at some point ( just a worsened symptom of the bad VVT actuator ). then the O2 was bad causing limp mode, that was changed. I had a catalytic converter code saying it was clogged ( which also causes limp mode ) that was changed. now I just changed the MAP sensor ( which can also cause limp mode ) and the car STILL GOES INTO LIMP MODE!!! ( " limp mode only happens on the highway at high speeds and only in SPORT mode". I have checked the throttle body it opens and closes %100. I am stumped. Im guessing it has to do with the TCM? do you think that needs replacing now? or maybe an update? any ideas? anybody been through this problem? thanks!
Mine is doing the same. Haven't looked into it yet. When I slow to stop it dies then cranks forever till it starts again. Later on in the day runs just fine no chugging or dying?! No clue

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,066 Posts
Welcome to the forums. This is also a 2015 with the 2.4L?
Are you having the same fault codes? You say you haven't looked in it yet.
Always start with diagnosis. You already gave us the symptoms you are experiencing.
Check your engine oil level on the dipstick (a synthetic 0W-20 meeting Chrysler MS-6395 is recommended).

There is a TSB # 18-083-18 that addresses both P2172 and U1424, among others (see Symptoms/Conditions in the link below).
It is a software update for the PCM. You may also have an upcoming recall for oil consumption (possible risk of stall) that is also a PCM software update.
The latest and greatest software update should include all previous improvements/enhancements. It should also be covered under the extended federal emissions warranty (8yr/80K miles).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts