·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

2015 200C V6
130k miles

I am about at my wits end here.
One day, car started feeling like it was "jumping" forward when stopped at lights. Then it threw a code.
The code was P303 P301, a misfire. As well as U0140, Lost Communication with BCM.

I've replaced all the spark plug, the ignition coils and even cleaned all the fuel injectors after running some Seafoam through it. Nothing has worked.

I took it to a mechanic and he fixed a few things like a vacuum leak and the radiator fan always running (missed a wire after radiator sprung a leak). He mentioned the code might be due to a timing issue that would be fixed at the dealership if they reset the ECU.

Took it into the dealership and let them charge the $150 diagnostic fee. Didn't really care what I had to say about the ECU reprogram. Got a call that they needed to do more diagnostics and would need 3 hours of labor bringing my total to $850 just for diagnostic. I said no way and asked to get the ECU reset. He talked the mechanic who said he advised against it because it could potentially make things worse. So I picked it up today, no change in the misfire with almost 0 additional info from the $150 diagnostic. All they said the technician wanted to look at the cam lobes to see if they were flattened.

I just feel so frustrated and upset. This car has had so many problems. Transmission, Radiator, oil leaks, etc.

BTW, the misfire only happens idle. Not sure if this is typical but the dome lights, headlights, etc somewhat flicker but only very slightly. It happens with the misfires

Anyone have any other thoughts?

EDIT: Did some more troubleshooting and discovered the rough idle is much worse when I run the AC and headlights. Any changes this is a bad alternator? I checked with a multimeter and all seemed to be reading correctly but the dash reading kept fluctuating from 12.5v to 14.5v

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
It might be that you need to replace your fuel injector on cylinder 3. It's probably a problem with the "coil" or "actuator" inside the injector itself it's what "pulses" the injector open and closed for lack of a better explanation. I had the same problem, fixed it myself. Not that uncommon on the Pentastar, especially with 130K miles.

Sorry not sure on the BCM issue.

Reactions: Sleeper200c

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
356 Posts
I have swapped injectors between cylinders to see if the fault follows the injector. Be aware that at 5 yrs old and 130K miles, the rubber injector o-rings may need replacement, if disturbed. Fuel issues are usually more engine load dependent than engine speed dependent.

A low-RPM misfire is usually a valve sealing issue, like a burned seat or valve.
A compression test may not show a leaky valve and a cylinder leakdown test is more revealing.
A whisper of air out the tailpipe would be an exhaust valve seating issue. A whisper out the throttle body would be an intake valve seating issue and a whisper heard from the oil filler hole would be from leaky piston rings.

High-RPM misfire is usually from weak or broken valve springs.
This does sound like an engine mechanical issue, like head/valve work. The PCM reprogramming/resetting won't help you. The fault will return.

FCA has helped some customers with head replacement. A 10 yr/150K mile extended warranty was issued on earlier Pentastars. Issues with later Pentastars are not unheard of and are sometimes the taken care of on a case-by-case basis or split parts/labor costs.
A diagnosis will have to be performed and documented before Chrysler possibly could do anything to help you. $850 if over the top to inspect cam lobes. Collect all your maintenance and service records and contact Chrysler Cares?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might be that you need to replace your fuel injector on cylinder 3. It's probably a problem with the "coil" or "actuator" inside the injector itself it's what "pulses" the injector open and closed for lack of a better explanation. I had the same problem, fixed it myself. Not that uncommon on the Pentastar, especially with 130K miles.

Sorry not sure on the BCM issue.
I forgot to mention, I did replace the fuel injector as well to rule that out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A simple compression test will reveal if its a valve or piston issue. It should be one of the 1st things checked along w testing if the coils are sparking. next would be an injector swap if they narrow it down to 1 cylinder. I would make a stink at your service dealer for incompotence...especially if its a Chrysler dealership. The 3.6 has been having this issue for years and they know how (should know) too diagnose them. Good luck, keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts