Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting the P420 code which can either be the O2 sensor or the CAT. Anybody know how hard it is to replace the cats or how much a fair price is? I’m trying to dump this dang car but obviously can’t with a CEL.

2015 V6 AWD.

Thankfully I just passed emissions before the light came on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How many miles? The federal emissions warranty is 8 years / 80,000 miles which would cover a failed cat.

Best to diagnose first. If you are going to fire the parts cannon, start with the cheaper O2 sensor, using only NTK or Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,074 Posts
Any exhaust leaks or engine noise?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No exhaust leak or strange noises or behaviors. Im at 131,000 miles so no warranty either. We are going to try the O2 sensor first. From the sounds of it though, FCA had issues with the CATs on the 2.4L, issuing a recall. Not a stretch to assume there may be a problem with the CATs on the 3.6L. The 200 group on Facebook is littered with CAT problems and replacements. Hopefully have the sensor in tonight. Thankfully it doesn’t prevent the car from being driven.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,074 Posts
The Possible Causes list is for P0420. I would diagnose first.
With a capable scan tool, see if bank 1 and bank 2 are switching 'high/low' at about the same speed. The upstreams should switch much faster than the downstream on a warm engine.
If you are going to replace O2's, do both. Use OEM parts. I've had issues with Bosch and 'Universal' sensors.
If the cat is bad and you are out of the extended federal emissions (8/80) warranty, use an OEM 'direct fit' converter. Make sure that your state allows aftermarket cats:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to close the loop on this. I ended up dumping the car yesterday. New owner of a 2021 Sonata Hybrid Limited!
I didn’t have any thing replaced, just traded it in and got a good amount on the car.

Reactions: 200_S_AWD
1 - 7 of 7 Posts