Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 2015 Chrysler 200S 3.6 AWD and there is a popping/clinking noise only while turning the steering wheel and while the steering wheel recenters it self while driving, sometimes turning the wheel while car is stationary it will happen but usually can't get the noise to happen that way. If I am driving straight the noise doesn't happen and it's not a clunking, vibration, scraping, or rubbing noise and you can't feel it in the steering wheel you just hear it on the front end some where behind the tire. so if anyone has any ideas that would great thanks!

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
412 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Possibly loose crossmember, brake caliper bracket, suspension or steering linkage fasteners?
I have gotten underneath with a torque wrench and sockets and snugged everything. Sometimes you will find a loose one.
Check for loose or worn tie-rod ends, sway bar links/bushings, ball joint/control arm bushings?
A light 'clink' sounds like a loose, rubbing heatshield or metal plate noise?
If there is a way to get it to do it with the car stationary, have a helper turning the wheel while you listen and feel for the noise source.
Locating the noise source is the first step.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums. Possibly loose crossmember, brake caliper bracket, suspension or steering linkage fasteners?
I have gotten underneath with a torque wrench and sockets and snugged everything. Sometimes you will find a loose one.
Check for loose or worn tie-rod ends, sway bar links/bushings, ball joint/control arm bushings?
A light 'clink' sounds like a loose, rubbing heatshield or metal plate noise?
If there is a way to get it to do it with the car stationary, have a helper turning the wheel while you listen and feel for the noise source.
Locating the noise source is the first step.
Yeah I did most of that with a helper it’s just hard to isolate the noise since the noise only likes to happen like driving forward and reverse while turning. But definitely going to check out the cross member thanks for the suggestion! I’m definitely open to other suggestions as well or anyone else having a similar issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going to replace the whole axle so we will see what happens this Friday/Saturday. I’ll update as soon as it’s done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced front struts and strut tops on a 2015 200C. An unusual noise similar to this in the front end was one of the symptoms I solved. You might be hearing bad bearings in the strut tops. My 200 was at 112k miles when we did this repair.

Using a mechanic's stethoscope touching the strut towers under the hood while turning the wheel could narrow down the noise to that area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks will definitely check that out as well.
Also just realized even when going straight if I go over a big enough bump it will make the same noise but not every time. Also car only has 52k miles I would hope it’s just the tie rod at this point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also just realized even when going straight if I go over a big enough bump it will make the same noise but not every time. Also car only has 52k miles I would hope it’s just the tie rod at this point.
I think I have the same noise you are describing I’ll have been chasing it for over 2yrs. Out of everything I have done to find it ,the only things that Left is the Front wheels bearings and or the exhaust Flex pipes Making the click noise when in park and it moves a bit forward without the E brake on.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
412 Posts
Diagnose first. Locate the noise source. Guessing can get expensive and frustrating.
I have used a ChassisEar to help me find out what exactly was making the noise:

·
Registered
116 Posts
This sounds similar to an issue I had with my 2015 S, had to have both front strut mounts replaced at 10k miles. Squeaked on turns and occasionally popped as well. I think you're on the right path. (y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts